• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga Revenge [2021-04-24]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
Love this series! The background gags always get me (Take went to town on that fly she got) lol also still crack up whenever I hear the difference between between Junkos anime voice and her singing voice.

Sakis episode was pretty good. I'm not sure if it's a rehash of sentiments she expressed when reuniting with her biker gang member (been a bit since I've watched that episode), but it was really sad to see her come to the realization that she's going to see people she loved in her pervious live die as long as she's a zombie. I wonder if the other girls will have similar moments throughout the series. The door is definitely open for Lilly to have that, and maybe we'll see Sakura have that with her parents, if they're ever introduced or referenced.

This is definitely my highlight of the season!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Lily and Yugiri are back to their sibling-like relationship. It didn't elude me how the former shielded the latter from Koutaro's first person watershooter.
Now, if either of them get a dedicated episode I hope Sakura doesn't hijack the emotional support role again.

Quote:
Incidentally, the character of White Ryu appears to be based on his seiyuu, an actor and musician who goes by the stage name Hakuryu (which translates to White Ryu, or White Dragon). He doesn't have a ton of other anime roles, but he did voice Tonegawa in the Kaiji anime, as well as write and perform its first ending song. He's also really from Saga, and you can find YouTube videos of him singing in full-on greaser mode.

Honestly, while I didn't go on to research him since the first line he isn't an actual anime seiyuu so I just assumed it must be a real cameo - an actual old "rock star" famous on Saga.

Treeborn wrote:
but it was really sad to see her come to the realization that she's going to see people she loved in her pervious live die as long as she's a zombie. I wonder if the other girls will have similar moments throughout the series.

Considering Koutaro's hints about his time limit...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed these first few episodes and while it does feel like more of the same, it doesn't feel as strong as the first season. Maybe once we start seeing some more performances, especially if they feature a similar amount of variety.

While they might get in to it next episode, does that girl from Iron Frill really not see any issue at all replacing their dead team member with someone who looks just like her?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd say what made Zombieland Saga so memorable wasn't really the performances...
But rather the "horror comedy" and how their zombie status played into all the sense and nonsense happening around.
So their zombie status is being played for drama as their deaths basically put Saki and Junko behind the times so to speak, but that's about it. There are fewer gags and only half of them are related to their unique situation.
And there was a lot of variety in what was happening going on - we started with actual horror, then heavy metal with actual zombies, then the actual character introduction, followed by the improvised rap (beatbox and shamisen incldued), two average idol anime episodes and then dressing up as a chicken and prowling in the mud.

In comparison, while they're recovering from a slump these three episodes are basically following from the established and more "normal" later part of the first season. It isn't as colorful and unpredictable.

Not saying there isn't some zombie goodness to be found, Sakura just had a good extended skit on the rooftop and the sound direction was on point adding creepy sounds to every little gesture they made. But it isn't running into cops at night or falling into pieces after falling in the mud.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I just followed the review's link.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Junko's rooftop performance is another highlight—beautiful and sincere, but tinged with the tongue-in-cheek aspect ratio gag

Another detail I liked about Junko's song, is that on second viewing of the pre-OP segment, you can tell it's that exact same song that Ai was starting to listen to on "Mytube" and clicked away from when Sakura opened the door. Her reaction to Junko's question initially had me thinking she might be looking at something of Junko's, so it's a neat subtle way to ultimately confirm it. Hoping there will be some interesting things with Ai and Junko's bond as the arc continues.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Treeborn wrote:
but it was really sad to see her come to the realization that she's going to see people she loved in her pervious live die as long as she's a zombie. I wonder if the other girls will have similar moments throughout the series.

Considering Koutaro's hints about his time limit...

Oh sweet Neptune no Anime cry I totally didn't even consider this possibilty. I just assumed the time limit was in reference to whatever Koutaro wanted to save Saga from...

There's so many things I want answered this season, but ZLS's pace of story makes me think I'd be lucky to get even half of them answered. I still find myself enjoying this season more than the last though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I think there have been hints that Koutaro made a deal with some local deity (or sea god) to resurrect the girls and if some unspecified thing doesn't happen in time, there will be a price. Like maybe his soul or those of the girls in exchange.

As for Ep4- seems the old show is back in action and I'm starting to be an actual fan of Franchouchou!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
Well, I didn't expect Junko of all zombies to star such a theme.
I cringed when she smashed the guitar though. You don't do that with other people's property!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I cringed when she smashed the guitar though. You don't do that with other people's property!

It's partly Kotaro's fault, he keep saying for her to "smash it".
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Yeah, I expected her to smash it in the room with Kotaro, but the payoff was worth it.

I feel bad for anyone at Saga Arena that has to sit behind Lily’s Pappy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Now that's what I'm talking about. A rock song to go with the more typical j-pop idol song. This episode was definitely more of what I liked about the 1st season. Too bad the CG dancing hasn't really improved that much :/

I saw some rumblings on twitter about the bento message gag translation, but I think they went with the best localization choice in this situation.

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Yeah, I expected her to smash it in the room with Kotaro, but the payoff was worth it.

Yeah, I was also expecting her to attempt to smash it in the room with Kotaro phrasing it that way, followed by him freaking out and stopping her. Though as he went out to describe it, that expectation faded.
I agree though, the payoff at the concert was definitely better. Them fixing the guitar afterwards was a nice touch.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I got too used to how Show By Rock subs translated that line.

This isn't the first time Junko gets to repair something made of wood.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Can't really add much to say for episode since pretty everything that needs to be said is already said (c'mon MAPPA, at least give some possibility that Junko and Ai may kiss! Anime hyper), and the concert performance kicks so much ass! Cool

Ok, I will add that it's awesome to finally hear Junko to fully utilize her surprisingly deep singing voice in that rock song. And on a side note if and when FUNimation plans on dubbing the songs, I really want to hear AmaLee sing that part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9