• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds The Law of Ueki Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice, loved this one as a kid. Not the most amazing show but it's entertaining and has an actual ending which can be pretty rare in anime.
#LMFGaming

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this was a childhood banger for me, can't wait for many others to enjoy this series. Definitely will do a rewatch
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
One of those rare 50-episode action anime that are entirely good.
BockLefty

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Now here's a blast from the past. I'd completely forgotten about this. One thing that was always unique about this for me is that, as a promotion from Anime Expo, there were rolls of toilet paper printed with character faces from this anime. I kept that roll for years. No idea if I even still have it, though I am pretty sure I threw it away. Always thought that was a really clever promotional item.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

It was kinda of goofy in some parts namely the tournament.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
It was a pretty fun show. Got annoyed when it added power levels (power star ratings) as before that it had all been about how you use your abilities, but otherwise it was very enjoyable.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

It was kinda of goofy in some parts namely the tournament.

The whole show (and manga) is SUPER goofy, but that's kinda the whole point. It's part parody of the Shonen tournament genre. Characters are given super weird powers (turning towels into steel, trash into trees, turning someone into a love of glasses) and even weirder personality quirks.

Most Shonen is already goofy, but Ueki dialed it up to 11 (which is why it isn't for everyone).
jtron

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
Just like how washing your car makes it rain, or lighting a cigarette makes the bus come... I finally picked this up on blu-ray a couple weeks ago after resigning myself to the "fact" that it might never be streaming again. Glad it's more available!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

The whole show (and manga) is SUPER goofy, but that's kinda the whole point. It's part parody of the Shonen tournament genre. Characters are given super weird powers (turning towels into steel, trash into trees, turning someone into a love of glasses) and even weirder personality quirks.

The Martial Artist with the telescoping bat that doesn't actually need his telescoping bat was the weirdest :S
Thaumana

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
I loved that one. Felt pretty fresh, funny and creative back then, and I really love how genuine and dorky the main character was. I liked the idea behind the talent achievement system, it was close to a skill-tree-based videogame. Always hilarious how Ueki - unlike his OP enemies who possessed hundreds of skills - had to deal with all the overwhelming situations while only having a small selection of almost useless non-battle skills like the power of the comedic sidekick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1