• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Appoints Illumination Founder/CEO Chris Meledandri as Outside Director

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder what exactly Meledandri will do as an outside director.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Whenever Nintendo wants unpleasant people to leave the building, he'll direct them outside.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Whenever Nintendo wants unpleasant people to leave the building, he'll direct them outside.

I see Laughing
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Jokes aside, I think he's going to be in charge of licensing various Nintendo media rights to other companies, like a restaurant franchiser. Or he could just be a link between Nintendo and Universal, since he's obviously still committed to the latter (please no).
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of animating other properties. Imagine if we had a short OVA series based off the old SNES era Zelda comic? We'd never get so lucky, but the Zelda franchise has so many styles I think seeing many of them animated would be great.

Not to mention other franchises they have. I just want them to take their time and make them good.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
If Nintendo appointed Melendandri in that role it means that they have a lot of confidence in the Mario movie project. Personally, while I find Illumination as an alright studio (I only enjoyed Sing and Pets), it makes sense considering the partnership between Universal. I'm sure a Mario movie made by them could be a success, though considering the current situation the movie industry is facing I don't know if will gross more than Detective Pikachu or the Sonic movie.
If Nintendo is considering making more animated adaptations I can imagine maybe a new Donkey Kong Country project (the cartoon was popular in Japan), Animal Crossing (it already had an anime), a Splatoon anime/CGI show, and Star Fox and Zelda have potential as both movies/shows.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Animal Crossing (it already had an anime)

Correction: it had an anime movie and it did ok. Although, it did better than the Tamagotchi movie and that got a sequel and a TV series....Maybe Nintendo said no to OLM.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1