• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Author's Poor Health

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope it isn't anything too serious... We are still reeling from the loss of Miura and don't need another major death anytime soon. Maybe Akutami-san should try to get the same sort of deal that Togashi has. Given how much the anime was a hit, that should make it possible to dictate new working terms for himself.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Authors overwork themselves to death is a major issue and need to be fixed. Every human being needs enough hours to eat, rest and sleep. I know that Japan as a whole suffers from overwork, it's just... who not move to monthly or bi-weekly schedule? I don't think the sales are going to be much lower. The magazines can still be published weekly, but with different manga's each issue.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The hiatus happening at the behest of the editor is at least a sign that Jump is starting to wise up that they need to take better care of their authors.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:20 am Reply with quote
I hope that after Miura's passing publishers start being more aware about the authors' health and improve their work regulations. I'm sure there's a lot of fans, including myself, that care more for authors' wellness than for new chapters launched as fast as possible, especially when the series is so good.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
He's not gone into detail and that's fair enough as Akutami might want to keep it fairly private. If you've ever been to Japan in Summer as well you'll know how incredibly hot/humid it does get.

If having a month away allows the author to get the required downtime to test and recover let them. JJK will be back in good time in July/August.

Last edited by Honeyman on Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:13 am Reply with quote
After Miura’s passing, I’m hoping publishers start prioritising the health of the mangakas over making profit.

From what I heard, weekly serialisations like Shonen Jump have really tight schedules.

Hope Gege gets a good amount of rest Sad
SWED

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
Would honestly prefer if you guys didn't spoil with the thumbnails.
You guys have been doing that quite a bit lately. You can just put Volume 1 as thumbnail..and that would have been better.
But regardless im at Volume 10 of manga right now and he puts in alot of effort into this series. Hope he keeps giving us this quality until the end of the series.
Best recovery to Gege!
Also I think after the hiatus he should ask for a similar schedule like Oda, giving him 1 week off every 4 weeks.
I think that would be the best way moving forward if his health is in really poor condition.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
SWED wrote:
Also I think after the hiatus he should ask for a similar schedule like Oda, giving him 1 week off every 4 weeks.
I think that would be the best way moving forward if his health is in really poor condition.

Unfortunately, aside from the 1 week off every 4 thing, Oda does not keep a very enviable schedule. I think he's said in the past that he only gets a 4 hours of sleep a night. It's usually not a good sign in the manga world when you're positively referred to as a "machine."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1