• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Urges Users to Set Up 2-Step Verification Following PlayStation Network Hacking Reports

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me that thinks this or does the PSN get hacked more times than Xbox Live and Nintendo Network do?
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Any major online service would be nearly constantly under attack. PSN had a major attack in 2011, so Sony is acting cautiously to not repeat that mistake.

Also, two factor is in general a really good idea on any site that requires a login. You really should set it up.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Work in IT, and this is spot on. Get big enough, and you're basically getting attacked or at least pinged on the daily. Use two-factor whenever it's available. Like a lot of common crime, even making things marginally more difficult can make hackers go to the easier marks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:16 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:

Is it just me that thinks this or does the PSN get hacked more times than Xbox Live and Nintendo Network do?

Xbox Live uses the Microsoft account for all things Windows (like the Apple ID for all i-Devices), so they've been using 2FA (2-Factor Authentication) for awhile now
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:

There is no mention in the article about the PSN being hacked. The issue is with Sony seeing individual accounts being hacked, probably because people use the same password across different services. Using 2FA will avoid this being a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1