• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Hosoda's Belle Receives 14-Minute Standing Ovation at Cannes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalisia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
*waiting for Western release intensifies*
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The audience most have loved it then!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Having data about the length of applause at the film festival is really amusing to me. I wonder if they track the loudness of the applause as well. Also it's gotta be a bit unnerving to be in the crowd I wonder. Is there like an Applause Captain that signals when to stop? What if there's like one really, really pepped up dude who just won't stop clapping? Would that lengthen the amount of time? It'd really suck to have to go to the bathroom and everyone around you is standing and clapping as you awkwardly try and reach the end of the aisle.

This is very cool though. Hosoda hasn't charmed me since TokiKake but maybe this one will make me want to clap for it at the end as well.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it for sure though I wouldn't read too much into it getting a long standing ovation, Clerks 2 got an 8-minute one at Cannes apparently! Shame they didn't enter it into the main competition really.
Enryu_Stormborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Having data about the length of applause at the film festival is really amusing to me. I wonder if they track the loudness of the applause as well. Also it's gotta be a bit unnerving to be in the crowd I wonder. Is there like an Applause Captain that signals when to stop? What if there's like one really, really pepped up dude who just won't stop clapping? Would that lengthen the amount of time? It'd really suck to have to go to the bathroom and everyone around you is standing and clapping as you awkwardly try and reach the end of the aisle.

This is very cool though. Hosoda hasn't charmed me since TokiKake but maybe this one will make me want to clap for it at the end as well.

https://youtu.be/69mmVL1ffwk

Watch this video of a super awkward standing ovation for once upon a time in Hollywood.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw Belle this weekend, and it really is one of Hosoda's best. I can easily see why it got so much applause—the film's musical climax is unspeakably moving, and was fresh in the viewers' minds when the lights came up. Watching movies in a Japanese theater can be an uncomfortable experience for foreigners because the audience makes no noise at all (really! Even at comedies! A very small snort is the most you're ever likely to hear!) but at my screening I actually did hear a couple of people sobbing during that climactic sequence. It's a real "human test" movie moment—no human can get through it without displaying some reaction.

Overall, I'd say Belle is about as good as Wolf Children, and specifically represents a clear refinement of Summer Wars—in Summer Wars Hosoda just couldn't get the two halves of the plot to work together believably, but in Belle everything serves a purpose to Suzu's emotional journey, which involves regaining her sense of self-worth after the betrayal of her mother's death. It doesn't quite have the artistic uniqueness of Mirai (an overlooked movie I shall never cease defending) and it suffers from the presence of a villain, who is necessary to the story but entirely unbelievable as a human being, but Suzu may be Hosoda's most interesting protagonist and the film is packed with little touches of greatness (in particular there is one very long, unbroken still shot of a rural train station interior, in which a trio of extremely awkward and extremely embarrassed high school students work up the nerve to step into frame, interact with each other until embarrassment overcomes them and they run away, drag themselves back together to return, and generally perform the gloriously clumsy dance of adolescence).

Wait patiently, but when it's available wherever you live, see it in theaters if you can!
#Frey04

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
14-Minute Standing Ovation at Cannes... this alone tells how great it is...
can't wait to watch this movie.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
14 minutes? GOATsoda is doing GOATsoda like things again. Looking forward to doing the same when I watch Ryuusoba.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote
DAYUM!

Mamoru Hosoda: 'Japanese anime has a problem with women and girls'
Quote:
Mamoru Hosoda has bones to pick with both Steven Spielberg and Hayao Miyazaki, the other great Japanese animator to whom he is often compared.

The dystopian tropes about the internet that run through so many movies, including Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One", are not doing anyone any favours, particularly women, Hosoda told AFP at the Cannes film festival, as his latest feature "Belle" premiered.

"They have grown up with the net... yet are constantly told how malevolent and dangerous it is," Hosoda said.

"It really annoys me to see how young women are often seen in Japanese animation -- treated as sacred -- which has nothing to do with the reality of who they are," Hosoda said, with evident frustration.

Without naming Miyazaki, Hosoda was unsparing about the Studio Ghibli founder.

"I will not name him, but there is a great master of animation who always takes a young woman as his heroine. And to be frank I think he does it because he does not have confidence in himself as a man.

He wants to free his heroines from being paragons of virtue and innocence and "this oppression of having to be like everyone else".
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
IWatching movies in a Japanese theater can be an uncomfortable experience for foreigners because the audience makes no noise at all (really! Even at comedies! A very small snort is the most you're ever likely to hear!)

I'm not Japanese, but I thought that was the norm? :O At least it is, in my neck of the woods. Yes, people will laugh at jokes, and there's the usual crunching and slurping and some people not putting their phones on silent, but otherwise in my experience it's quite normal for people to stay quiet in a movie theater. (Only once have I experienced the audience actually giving an applause at the end of a movie - it wasn't a special screening or anything, it was just a really good film. It was so long ago, though, I forgot what it was...)

Anyway, not to take away from Hosoda's achievements, for all I know this is really a great movie. But such reactions at festivals are better taken with a grain of salt. Very Happy Even under normal circumstances the audience is usually tipsy (if not drunk) or under some other influence, they're riding a high from meeting famous people or just friends they haven't seen for a while or having made some business, they're ready to be impressed and blown away, and so on. And what with the state of the movie industry in the past year and a half, I imagine a lot of people are just happy to see something in an actual movie theater, with other people around. So yes, I'm sure the movie is good, it might be even great, but regardless, audience reactions at festivals tend to be exaggerated. Very Happy
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DAYUM!

[url=/culture/2021/07/16/films/mamoru-hosoda-japanese-anime-problem-women-girls/]Mamoru Hosoda: 'Japanese anime has a problem with women and girls'[/url]

Nowhere in that interview does Hosada say this quote the headline is saying. What kind of amateur reporting is this?
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
DAYUM!

[url=/culture/2021/07/16/films/mamoru-hosoda-japanese-anime-problem-women-girls/]Mamoru Hosoda: 'Japanese anime has a problem with women and girls'[/url]

Nowhere in that interview does Hosada say this quote the headline is saying. What kind of amateur reporting is this?

It's clunky phrasing, likely done deliberately for clickbait. He does say that anime has a problem with depicting and handling female characters. (And for that matter I do agree with what he says, especially about that certain anime filmmaker and his female leads, although he's not the only one by far.)
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
SHD, you are exactly right about festival applause—festivals are fun because they're environments in which you are supposed to clap for movies you like. No one would clap for Belle usually, even though it is a great movie.
SHD wrote:
I thought that was the norm?
As for the silence thing, of course Americans will get mad if people talk through the movie, but (as with so many things) Japan takes it way, way further. "Crunching and slurping" or phone noises are absolutely not okay, and you may NOT laugh at jokes. One must learn to "laugh internally." When I went to see the KonoSuba movie, the frog swallowing the goat in the very first shot caught me entirely unprepared and I simply couldn't hold back a short bark of laughter, after which I had to sit rigidly mortified for the rest of the movie while everyone near me shot me glances to see if I planned to be a rude, boorish foreigner again. The worst instance was when my sister and her boyfriend were visiting; we went to see Shazam!, and being an idiot I totally forgot to warn them not to laugh—it took him the whole first third of the movie to work out that no one else was joining him and stop laughing.

It's not just laughter, though—the explicit reason given by many Japanese theaters for not allowing outside food is that it's "too loud" (when you open the packaging). You will never hear a whisper or a phone, and if someone has to go to the bathroom they will scuttle past the front row bent completely double to avoid causing any impediment to viewing. It really does freak my American friends out, and even my Japanese friends notice: most of them say that they prefer watching movies at home because "you can relax." That's what happens when you put a large number of people from a society as politeness-conscious as Japan in a single closed space (the same pin-drop silence reigns on commuter trains, although at least since I live in the countryside I can have quiet conversations on the local trains).
Professor Nihil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 am Reply with quote
I too am very much looking forward to the US release of the feature.

It is my sincere hope that the usual failures of marketing quality anime films in the US are not repeated here as is the unfortunate standard practice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1