• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Olympics Rings in Parade of Nations With Japanese Game Tunes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
This makes me so happy! Now the world can hear all the wonderful video game music.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
This is so nice!
I recognized these songs!
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
I never thought this would happen to tell you the truth. It turns out that last-minute cancellation proved to be bluffing.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Quick, let's replace Oyamada with Koichi Sugiyama cause that's a much better look. Laughing

It is a fantastic track list though.

Edit: Though I do wonder about the lack of Nintendo.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
I was about to say there's a surprisingly lack of Nintendo music or even Pokemon-related ones.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I was about to say there's a surprisingly lack of Nintendo music or even Pokemon-related ones.

Well, in the closing ceremony of the Rio Olympics Shinzo Abe came out from a Warp Pipe wearing a Mario hat, so Nintendo already appeard in the Olympics, perhaps they're are saving some kind of presence for the closing ceremony
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Well, in the closing ceremony of the Rio Olympics Shinzo Abe came out from a Warp Pipe wearing a Mario hat, so Nintendo already appeard in the Olympics, perhaps they're are saving some kind of presence for the closing ceremony

I would LOVE if they used Pokemon game music in the closing ceremony.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
Why the surprise over Sonic in the first paragraph? I know that many people don't have a favorable view of the series, but quality of the games aside, they're popular and have a rich musical legacy.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Why the surprise over Sonic in the first paragraph? I know that many people don't have a favorable view of the series, but quality of the games aside, they're popular and have a rich musical legacy.

Mind you, it was a pleasant surprise, after the string of RPG music that came before it. The same goes when the familiar but surprising strains of Ace Combat and Soul Calibur played.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Maybe they couldn't hammer out the licensing details on such a short notice.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Sonic’s popularity is much larger outside of Japan than in it from what I’ve been told.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
KH being played at the Olympics! Shimomura!!!!! And DQ, FF, CT and NieR. Awesome. Japan was obviously going to be the only country to use music from games.

This was such a perfect time to play "Passionate Duelists" from Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters. The Olympics, where many countries and athletes face each other and try to win for their country. They are passionate duelists. But they never took advantage of the Game King.

Quote:
The song accompanying the Olympic torch's entrance was Maurice Ravel's "Boléro" — a famous classical piece long before anime such as Digimon Adventure

The GOAT! This hits so much because I rewatched the whole Digimon Adventure series (only related to the original Erabareshi Kodomo-tachi) late last year and the 1st thing you hear in the movie is Bolero. Then it appears later on throughout.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Or more likely companies like Nintendo do not want to be associated with this shitshow of an Olympics. Despite the government promoting "Cool Japan" for more than decade now, astonishingly there was not a single refence to any Japanese pop culture icons in the entire show, save for the video game music
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

Or more likely companies like Nintendo do not want to be associated with this shitshow of an Olympics. Despite the government promoting "Cool Japan" for more than decade now, astonishingly there was not a single refence to any Japanese pop culture icons in the entire show, save for the video game music

J-pop singer Misia sang the national anthem. She's known for singing ending themes to Star Ocean 3, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphens, and several popular J-drama themes. Her voice and style are pretty recognizable, at least to the common Japanese person.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote
I was kinda of disappointed with the Opening Ceremony. While they may have played some game music during the Parade of Nations, but that was about it concerning our fandom. They didn't even show the Olympic mascots that were introduced back in 2019.

The only bright spot I thought was the 1,800 drones creating a rotating Earth above the stadium, and maybe the Mount Fuji Olympic flame cauldron.

add... I did like the Taco Bell anime commercial.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2