• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vivy: a Robot Ode to Life Vividly Lived

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
As an ardent science fiction buff I thoroughly enjoyed this series. For me it captured the essence of an artificial life form evolving into a sentient creature. It's easily the best "robot" series of the past few years.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Nice breakdown of the show's arcs.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
I had heard many good things about this series, but I was originally put off by the extreme violence of the first episode and the show's general dystopian vibe, and with so many other good shows to watch last season I had given it a pass.

Thank you the thoughtful review and summary. It made me think back to the final Violet Evergarden film where spoiler[she learned to become a person instead of a doll]

I may have to circle back and pick this series up again.
Demon69c

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
One thing overlooked is that all of the AI's Vivy encounters are her "descendants" each series seeming to incorporate those lessons learned from the one preceeding it when in fact its the AI encountered reacting to her (Vivy) more like it would to a human as Vivy expands more on her original mission . The story was aided by the fantastic soundtrack that carried her through the journey culminating in her song To paraphrase an old saying "Life needs to be Lived" and that is the lesson Vivy learns through her journey and imparts to all

In my opinion this was one of the years biggest surprises and should rank highly if not near the top of many 2021 top 10 lists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1