• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Neon Genesis Evangelion Complete Series Blu-ray Coming in November

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan297na

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
When they say official dub, are they referring to the new Netflix one?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:

Yes.

The "classic" dub is the original one.
BirdyTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:

Yes. The collector editions include the original ADV dubs
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see this coming out. Really been wanting a physical version on the shelf. Shame about Fly Me to the Moon, though. :/

Also, has there been any news about a physical release for the Rebuild movies? Who even has the license to those?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the official dub is the Netflix one. The Classic dub (original ADV) and classic subs are considered bonuses and are only available on the Collector's Edition and the now OOP Ultimate Collector's edition (which used Laser Disc style packaging). If you don't care about the original dub or packaging then there's the cheaper standard edition.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ADV Films is the only official dub to me.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kalhiki wrote:
Also, has there been any news about a physical release for the Rebuild movies? Who even has the license to those?

Funimation used to have the home video rights to the first 3 Rebuild films, and although they still have a series page up on their website (https://www.funimation.com/shows/evangelion), they no longer even list the blurays/Dvds of the first 2 movies on their shop at all, and the third bluray is simply just listed as sold out. It is unknown if Funimation's rights have expired and un-renewed (or close to expiring), or if it is a simple stock issue (doubtful). Regardless, no other company in North America has announced a physical release of the Rebuilds, and with Amazon redubbing them, they're doubtless in a complicated situation at the moment.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I still have the Platinum Edition DVDs from ADV, and aside from the Fly Me To The Moon ED, sounds like these new sets will contain all the extras from those so I guess they will be pretty much obsolete.

I was late to the final Eva movie viewing party, but I gotta say as someone who went from a mega-to-lapsed fan over the years, I loved Thrice Upon A Time and the ending.

Also, I'm hard-pressed to believe it was the original plan, but the way Mari Makinami's character was ultimately handled was absolutely brilliant.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I still have the Platinum Edition DVDs from ADV, and aside from the Fly Me To The Moon ED, sounds like these new sets will contain all the extras from those so I guess they will be pretty much obsolete.

This new set will come with the End of Evangelion movie.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

So do I. I will definitely be double dipping to get these BR's. Most series when I upgrade I get rid of the dvds. I think in this case though I'll still hold on to my old dvd singles. Just in case.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
There's no way in hell that I'm gonna spend a penny for any of these sets. I've got all the dvd sets and the netflix dub is super shitty, the ADV dub is the only one as far as I'm concerned.
bagman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, definitely will not be paying canadian prices (likely $90+) for a set that doesn't come with the ADV dub. Locking it behind a set that'll cost 250 here is just scummy.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

This new set will come with the End of Evangelion movie.

And Death and Rebirth as well.

Fly Me to the Moon will be on the US versions, just not the international versions. (UK, Australia)

I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition, since I do not have Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion, and for the fact that it has the classic ADV dub. I shall sell my ADV Platinum LImited Edition Christmas Special release when I get it in.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Death and Rebirth is 1/2 compilation movie and then the first half of End of Evangelion. So far as I'm aware, there's no new footage that you can't get if you have both the TV series and EoE. I suppose if you're a completionist there might be some reason to have it, but otherwise I don't see any use in it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Fly Me to the Moon will be on the US versions, just not the international versions. (UK, Australia)

That seems like a questionable interpretation of "Neither version of the international re-release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION contains "FLY ME TO THE MOON" in any of its home video editions." I'd presume that "international" includes the US, from the perspective of Japan, and that none of the releases offered here by GKids will have Fly Me to the Moon. If the rights are expensive as everyone's saying, it's pretty doubtful that they'd be able to afford the song just for the US release. If you value FMTTM, I'd check the new release to make sure it's there before selling off the old Platinum version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2