• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sasaki and Miyano Boys-Love Anime's Teaser Video Reveals January 2022 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
Heads up to editorial: This is at least the second time that I've noticed that the director Shinji Ishihira has been mistakenly written as Shinji Ishihara, which based on the credits listed under that name, it's likely that they are all misspellings of Shinji Ishihira.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
Reminder to ANN: this is not a Boys Love anime. It isn’t marketed anywhere as a BL title, doesn’t run in a BL magazine, and isn’t shelved near BL manga. It’s just shoujo romance where the MCs happen to be guys. Not all series with gay characters in a romance are BL, which is rife with tropes and stereotypes. I’d hate for someone to avoid what’s a lovely, emotional love story with a great cast of characters to pass it up because it’s labeled “BL”. The author has avoided that term, so let’s just call a romance a romance.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
1. All instances of the manga being a "boys-love" series in this article and any previous articles about the franchise have been removed from the article, headline, etc.

2. We have corrected the director's name in this article and all past articles that had the misspelling.

Thank you for bringing both issues to our attention. Please note that emailing our newsroom staff at newsroom[at]animenewsnetwork[dot]com is the best way to get these addressed: we do not normally check article comments.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
January can’t come fast enough! I’m really looking forward to this show.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
And here we go again with "This can't be BL because it doesn't fit into XYZ stereotypes". If an author wrote a story about someone being sent to another world and went "this isn't an Isekai, it would still be considered one right? And obviously it won't be in a BL magazine becuase it's serialized on Pixiv where it is, by the way, tags it as BL.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
And obviously it won't be in a BL magazine becuase it's serialized on Pixiv where it is, by the way, tags it as BL.

honestly this is good to hear because I dropped reading the manga because people kept commenting it wasn't BL so it just felt like queer bait chapter after chapter
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Reminder to ANN: this is not a Boys Love anime. It isn’t marketed anywhere as a BL title, doesn’t run in a BL magazine, and isn’t shelved near BL manga. It’s just shoujo romance where the MCs happen to be guys.

I mean if you wanna get really anal about it, all BL is shoujo because BL is a subgenre of shoujo in the first place.

fencer_x wrote:
Not all series with gay characters in a romance are BL, which is rife with tropes and stereotypes. I’d hate for someone to avoid what’s a lovely, emotional love story with a great cast of characters to pass it up because it’s labeled “BL”.

You say that as if... shoujo isn't ripe with tropes and stereotypes? Sure, they're not the exact same tropes, but if you want to complain that tropes exist, at least be consistent about it. And yeah, if someone avoids it because of the label that's their loss? High time to learn to not judge a book by its cover, eh. Are we gonna say Given isn't BL because it doesn't have the usual "tropes and stereotypes" that BL does, even though it runs in a BL magazine and is always labeled as BL? There are many manga that are explicitly labeled BL that are equally "lovely, emotional love stories with a great casts of characters" - are we gonna treat them as inferior because of their label?

fencer_x wrote:
The author has avoided that term, so let’s just call a romance a romance.

Like someone else pointed out, pixiv hasn't avoided that label, sooo
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I’m looking forward to this.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
I’m really looking forward to this! The manga is lovely. And yes it is not the old fashioned BL title with widespread non-con sex and horrible tropes abounding. But the point is that it’s a lovely slowburn romance with male characters. We’re seeing more and more of these, where any ambiguity (a la Yuri on Ice) is dispensed with. Calling it “not BL” seems like splitting hairs. Given is listed as BL but both series seem like the same thing to me - a slice of life romance with male characters.

Last edited by Jefcat on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Horimiya with two male leads.
MCAL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Seems like Horimiya with two male leads.
That's honestly pretty accurate.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

I don't have any issues with the work being labeled one way or another. But I do think it's important to honor the author's wishes in the context of a news article like this. My issue is that none of the posters here seem to have concrete sources/evidence that shows whether the author wishes for their work to be labeled as BL or not (the tagging on pixiv is not). And ANN should probably verify such information before adopting them.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
There’s this tweet from the author, which seems to confirm my assumption that the appellation “boys life” isn’t to avoid BL as a label out of some sense of purity, but is instead intended to invoke both BL as a term and the overall “everyday life” feel of the manga.

If someone has another link where the author says otherwise, I’ll stand corrected, though.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

I don't have any issues with the work being labeled one way or another. But I do think it's important to honor the author's wishes in the context of a news article like this. My issue is that none of the posters here seem to have concrete sources/evidence that shows whether the author wishes for their work to be labeled as BL or not (the tagging on pixiv is not). And ANN should probably verify such information before adopting them.

why is the pixiv tagging not? does the author not control the tags?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1