• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Establishes 'Anime Creators' Base' at Tokyo Office

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:24 am Reply with quote
So this is where people come together and make PowerPoint
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:
So this is where people come together and make PowerPoint

I know I may get hate for this, but due to the overwork and underpay of animators in Japan, I would prefer worse animation in exchange for them not needing to work as hard. I know this is most likely not even true, as animation as only one part of anime, but it would be nice. Honestly, I would just prefer less anime all year over all. I think the health and safety of employees should be the priority.
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

I know I may get hate for this, but due to the overwork and underpay of animators in Japan, I would prefer worse animation in exchange for them not needing to work as hard. I know this is most likely not even true, as animation as only one part of anime, but it would be nice. Honestly, I would just prefer less anime all year over all. I think the health and safety of employees should be the priority.

Netflix has a lot of capital, all they had to do was pay more to the studio so they could hire more animators, like making other regular anime.
Even Mappa animator has said that Netflix pays less than other anime producers
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Netflix has a lot of capital, all they had to do was pay more to the studio so they could hire more animators, like making other regular anime.
Even Mappa animator has said that Netflix pays less than other anime producers

I wasn't even talking about netflix. I was talking about anime in general. Unpopular opinion, I know. Pay is one thing, but they can't overwork their employees even if the pay is amazing. I wish this was an animator problem, but its a Japan problem.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Japanese animators are essentially working "the crunch" that game developers do, minus the pay
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Japanese animators are essentially working "the crunch" that game developers do, minus the pay

Japan in general for all businesses is pretty much in a state of crunch. Look at weekly manga creators. That Togashi map of his work week was soul crushing when I first read it. He had about 3 hours in the week of free time that wasn't sleep.
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

I wasn't even talking about netflix. I was talking about anime in general. Unpopular opinion, I know. Pay is one thing, but they can't overwork their employees even if the pay is amazing. I wish this was an animator problem, but its a Japan problem.

I talked about Netflix because this is the only Netflix to make PowerPoint
If the animators do not work hard, the result will be Western cartoons
That's why I criticize big companies like Netflix for not paying them enough
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Ok. I know its an anime site, but please can we stop acting like western cartoons are garbage. Castlevania, the DC stuff, and other cartoons have proven that wrong. I won't act like cartoons are better animated, but I have seen cartoons that can look just as good as some anime. Also, at least these garbage western cartoons have animators that are paid well and don't overwork themselves to death. I hate Netflix not paying as much, but Japan's own studios are no better.
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Ok. I know its an anime site, but please can we stop acting like western cartoons are garbage. Castlevania, the DC stuff, and other cartoons have proven that wrong. I won't act like cartoons are better animated, but I have seen cartoons that can look just as good as some anime. Also, at least these garbage western cartoons have animators that are paid well and don't overwork themselves to death. I hate Netflix not paying as much, but Japan's own studios are no better.

Cartoons like Castlevania and avatar the last are made by studio mir and this studio is in South Korea
Therefore, these cartoons of this studio have nothing to do with the West and are only the authors of cartoons and Western producers
There is no need to explain about DC carotenes
It is foolish to ignore west weakness in the quality of cartoons
Japanese studios are not special, they just have a lot more experience and try harder
Introduce me to a western cartoon that has a quality like violet evergarden
also Violet evergarden anime animators paid well

Last edited by r4737 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Cartoons like Castlevania and avatar the last are made by studio mir and this studio is in South Korea
Therefore, these cartoons of this studio have nothing to do with the West and are only the authors of cartoons and Western producers
There is no need to explain about DC carotenes
It is foolish to ignore west weakness in the quality of cartoons
Japanese studios are not special, they just have a lot more experience and try harder
Introduce me to a western cartoon that has a quality like violet evergarden

I like how you completely ignore my main argument. Ok, sure, act like Japan is not outsourcing their stuff(they work with other countries just as much as the US). The important point is that western animators don't need to overwork themselves. They get paid well. A big reason is because western animation is not as popular. Japan thinks of quantity over quality, hence so many studios juggling way too many projects to their employee's detriment. Also, you are 100% wrong on Casltevania. Its made in the great land of Texas. This tells me you don't even watch these shows you complain about.
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

I like how you completely ignore my main argument. Ok, sure, act like Japan is not outsourcing their stuff(they work with other countries just as much as the US). The important point is that western animators don't need to overwork themselves. They get paid well. A big reason is because western animation is not as popular. Japan thinks of quantity over quality, hence so many studios juggling way too many projects to their employee's detriment. Also, you are 100% wrong on Casltevania. Its made in the great land of Texas. This tells me you don't even watch these shows you complain about.

So you are proud that Western animators are useless and do not try to make a quality product at all and at the same time get a good salary, and Japanese animators who make masterpiece and work hard to create a quality product they do not receive good salaries. and you are happy about this and you consider this an advantage for western cartoons?
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

So you are proud that Western animators are useless and do not try to make a quality product at all and at the same time get a good salary, and Japanese animators who make masterpiece and work hard to create a quality product they do not receive good salaries. and you are happy about this and you consider this an advantage for western cartoons?

Ok, clearly you are just not listening to me. I never said they are useless. Its really rude you worship Japanese animators and demonize western animators. Why can't it be ok to like both? As for the second half, yes I do. Because it shows that Japan could pay their employees well and not overwork them, but because of their toxic work culture they refuse to. They are also terrified of any type of change.

So yes, I think animators in Japan should be paid just as well, and its disgusting some fans pretend its a problem that doesn't exist, or they say it's impossible for animators to be paid fairly. Also, I would hardly consider 95% of your average anime as a "masterpiece". Anime can be garbage too.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Quote:
So you are proud that Western animators are useless and do not try to make a quality product at all and at the same time get a good salary, and Japanese animators who make masterpiece and work hard to create a quality product they do not receive good salaries.

That's a fallacy. One does not follow the other. You can very well have decent work hours and get good work done. And be overworked with shoddy results(actually, that's likely...).
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

If you're referring to Way of the Househusband (which I think you are), I believe in Japan that was advertised as a motion comic so it never got the bad reception that it did overseas where Netflix kept calling it a full on anime. This is like, third hand info though so take it with a grain of salt.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
r4737 wrote:

Quote:
So you are proud that Western animators are useless and do not try to make a quality product at all and at the same time get a good salary, and Japanese animators who make masterpiece and work hard to create a quality product they do not receive good salaries.

That's a fallacy. One does not follow the other. You can very well have decent work hours and get good work done. And be overworked with shoddy results(actually, that's likely...).

Oh yeah. Its the same thing in programming and development. The more you overwork, the more tired you get, the more bugs you end up creating that have you staying up even more and draining more money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4