• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces The World Ends With You Anime's English Dub, Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I anticipated and have no real qualms over the mass recasting. But...who the heck even are most of these people?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Shocking.
/s

I seem to remember some of the game cast wanting to come back for the anime, even going as far as to tag Funi on Twitter. That‘s probably gotta suck for them. Wonder if Funi just found it cheaper inhouse, even if it meant erking the fans of the games' dub.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Funimation just announced the english dub now? That's weird, Funimation's Latin American branch already dub the show into Neutral Spanish, and they uploaded it to the service between May and July. Kind of strange that Latin America got the dub first, specially since the game wasn't translated for the region. At least the spanish dub was pretty good, Neku was voiced by Marc Winslow, who voiced Tomioka in Demon Slayer and Ciel in Black Butler. Funimation's spanish dubs have been pretty good, except for MHA.
By the way, is the cast for the english dub the same from the games? The Japenese dub managed to bring almost everybody back.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
By the way, is the cast for the english dub the same from the games? The Japenese dub managed to bring almost everybody back.

It's the opposite in this case, everybody except one character (Kariya) was recast.

Though I noticed there's no english va listed for Joshua, what's up with that?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Wait, Funimation just announced the english dub now? That's weird, Funimation's Latin American branch already dub the show into Neutral Spanish, and they uploaded it to the service between May and July. Kind of strange that Latin America got the dub first, specially since the game wasn't translated for the region. At least the spanish dub was pretty good, Neku was voiced by Marc Winslow, who voiced Tomioka in Demon Slayer and Ciel in Black Butler. Funimation's spanish dubs have been pretty good, except for MHA.

Funi only brought Andrew Kishino back from the games.Everyone else was replaced.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm suspecting there was a long delay for the English dub compared to other territories specifically because Funi was actively trying to get the game's cast back but had to settle for recasts instead. I don't really blame them. The majority of the game's cast have not done much voice acting at all outside of these characters, or in Joshua's VA's case, has only ever been in Squenix projects. Combined with possible union issues, it was probably a larger headache than it was worth to try booking them all. It's disappointing especially since we had to wait so long, but it is what it is. From what I can tell however, at least a few of the new VAs seem to be long time fans of the game, so even if I won't be watching the dub myself, I'm very happy for them!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
It's the opposite in this case, everybody except one character (Kariya) was recast.

Though I noticed there's no english va listed for Joshua, what's up with that?

I'm not an native English speaker so my knowledge of English dubs is very limited but is there a reason why Funimation couldn't get the original English voice cast back? Do they work for other recording studios or live somewhere else?
That also reminds me that recently Funimation Latin America acquired the rights for Cowboy Bebop, but they couldn't get the rights for the orignal dub so they made a new dub which managed to bring back the original voices for Faye, Ed, Julia and Spike. There also some rumors about a new dub for FMA Brotherhood, but if Funi wants to keep the cast is going to be difficult since the original was dubbed in Venezuela and Funi's Spanish dubs are made in Mexico and Miami, not to mention that many actors from Venezuela had either retired or moved to other countries, only Alphonse's voice actor might come back since he works in Mexico and has done some work for Funimation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I was imagining the delay was because they were trying to get back the game cast (especially since Square Enix tend to try to be consistent with reprisals) but I guess that wasn't in the cards.

Kind of a bummer they recast everybody but I'm sure the new cast will do their best.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I'm not an native English speaker so my knowledge of English dubs is very limited but is there a reason why Funimation couldn't get the original English voice cast back? Do they work for other recording studios or live somewhere else?

They live in Los Angeles but Funimation has worked with LA voice actors before, even more so nowadays with the move to recording from home due to the pandemic.

If I had to guess what happened here, they didn't want to deal with SAG-AFTRA again so the dub is non-union.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
But...who the heck even are most of these people?

Hahahahahaha man, long gone are the days of everyone saying the same 3 voice actors are in every dub eyyy?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Makes no sense for everyone to be recasted since almost all returned in Neo from the original game...so what the heck, Funimation.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

They live in Los Angeles but Funimation has worked with LA voice actors before, even more so nowadays with the move to recording from home due to the pandemic.

If I had to guess what happened here, they didn't want to deal with SAG-AFTRA again so the dub is non-union.

I'm more impressed that Andrew Kishino was able to reprise his role as Kariya for the anime adaptation and in a Funimation dub that is considering that Andrew is a Union-only actor and the majority of Andrew's occasional anime dub appearances have usually been Union dub productions (e.g. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Blood Prison, Baki, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, Star Wars Visions) instead of non-union dubs.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
I'm more impressed that Andrew Kishino was able to reprise his role as Kariya for the anime adaptation and in a Funimation dub that is considering that Andrew is a Union-only actor and the majority of Andrew's occasional anime dub appearances have usually been Union dub productions (e.g. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Blood Prison, Baki, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, Star Wars Visions) instead of non-union dubs.

Could he be ficore? This would explain why he's credited and not Joshua'a VA if the latter isn't.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Neku's original voice actor confirmed Funimation never contacted him and there were no contractual issues preventing him from reprising. Kind of a really crummy thing to do given how much remote recording they do nowadays.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Neku's original voice actor confirmed Funimation never contacted him and there were no contractual issues preventing him from reprising. Kind of a really crummy thing to do given how much remote recording they do nowadays.

This really does not surprise me...
Funimation is more interested in letting its roster handle the voice acting instead of making the effort to getting old voice actors back. I wish they wouldn't license these projects in the first place...oh well.
In general the company feels like it's very "by fans for fans".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3