• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Globes 2022 Will Still Go Ahead, Will Not Air on NBC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Earlier in May, the HFPA had an approved plan for reform that would include increasing its number of people of color, as well as new restrictions on gifts that members could receive.

Is this about increasing PoC representation of nominees or of the people voting? I definitely support enforcing the latter, but I feel the former needs to come about naturally as parts of the flawed system are fixed. Like apparently gifts... why was that ever allowed... I'd also love to see some more transparent voting both here and with the Academy Awards like maybe requiring 100 words of justification for every vote along with a disclosure of which nominated works the person watched (as I don't believe there is a requirement to watch all of them).

I feel like all of these awards are a joke now.
juaifan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Award shows have always kind of been bought and sold. It's just a lot more transparent now. But yeah, when it just openly comes down to caring more about skin color, sex, or orientation then it does pretty much throw all pretense of meritocracy out the window and make them just status symbols.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Is this about increasing PoC representation of nominees or of the people voting? I definitely support enforcing the latter, but I feel the former needs to come about naturally as parts of the flawed system are fixed. Like apparently gifts... why was that ever allowed... I'd also love to see some more transparent voting both here and with the Academy Awards like maybe requiring 100 words of justification for every vote along with a disclosure of which nominated works the person watched (as I don't believe there is a requirement to watch all of them).

The latter IIRC. Which makes way more sense, if you want a diverse opinion, you need diverse groups actually rendering the opinions on who wins and who loses.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

The latter IIRC. Which makes way more sense, if you want a diverse opinion, you need diverse groups actually rendering the opinions on who wins and who loses.

I would agree, but the cynic in me still thinks this is mostly just pointless rhetoric and empty gestures. Just like the NFL's recent "inclusion" commercial last week. I'm not trying to drive this off topic into discussion and the NFL (and current news/situation there), just mentioning that recent commercial (and honestly most "efforts" by them in general) as another example of hollow gestures.

What would make an even bigger difference is if there were more POC in actual executive positions in production companies, media companies, etc. Not just getting POC to simply help vote on an award show's winners. I mean yea it would be nice, and certainly helpful, to have more diverse opinions on those rendering those votes, but it would be even more beneficial and helpful if those POC were also executives at these companies MAKING the media.

Trying to keep this more generalized and not take the discussion off on too many off topic tangents.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
Earlier in May, the HFPA had an approved plan for reform that would include increasing its number of people of color, as well as new restrictions on gifts that members could receive.

Is this about increasing PoC representation of nominees or of the people voting? I definitely support enforcing the latter.

It's the latter, though in this particular case the usage of PoC is the "Asians and Hispanics don't count" one (possibly because the Hispanics in question have a fair amount of European descent.) It is a odd little group of people who pick this particular award. They are people who nominally write for the foreign press, but many of them don't do much.[/url]
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
Award shows have always kind of been bought and sold. It's just a lot more transparent now. But yeah, when it just openly comes down to caring more about skin color, sex, or orientation then it does pretty much throw all pretense of meritocracy out the window and make them just status symbols.

The main issue with the Golden Globes was not representation got in the way of meritocracy, but unfair rules and favoritism got in the way of meritocracy.

Until this year, the Golden Globes rules specifically forbade non-English films and animated films from the Best Picture category. That means no Japanese film (and most other languages) was even allowed to compete for the top awards, and no anime was even allowed to compete.

That's the opposite of representation getting in the way of meritocracy.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5289327#5289327

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/minari-foreign-language-film-golden-globes-1234874332/

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/golden_globe_awards_eligibility_descriptions_2020_revisions_approved_3-19-20conformed_5-27-20.pdf

The good news is that they changed the rules in May to level the playing field:

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/2021-07/golden-globe-awards-eligibility-descriptions-2021-revisions-approved-5-25-21.pdf

Last edited by Egan Loo on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:

Is this about increasing PoC representation of nominees or of the people voting? I definitely support enforcing the latter.

It's the latter, though in this particular case the usage of PoC is the "Asians and Hispanics don't count" one (possibly because the Hispanics in question have a fair amount of European descent.) It is a odd little group of people who pick this particular award. They are people who nominally write for the foreign press, but many of them don't do much.[/url]

That is (finally) changing this year. 24% of this year's new members are Asian, and 29% are Latino/Latina. Members now have to be active journalists under contract, and they have to reapply for eligibility every year.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/new-hollywood-foreign-press-association-105-1234668670/

(On the other hand, there is only 105 voting members even with the latest additions, but they do plan to keep expanding. And they are banning gifts.)
juaifan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
The main issue with the Golden Globes was not representation got in the way of meritocracy, but unfair rules and favoritism got in the way of meritocracy.

Until this year, the Golden Globes rules specifically forbade non-English films and animated films from the Best Picture category. That means no Japanese film (and most other languages) was even allowed to compete for the top awards, and no anime was even allowed to compete.

That's the opposite of representation getting in the way of meritocracy.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5289327#5289327

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/minari-foreign-language-film-golden-globes-1234874332/

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/golden_globe_awards_eligibility_descriptions_2020_revisions_approved_3-19-20conformed_5-27-20.pdf

The good news is that they changed the rules in May to level the playing field:

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/2021-07/golden-globe-awards-eligibility-descriptions-2021-revisions-approved-5-25-21.pdf

Anime and foreign films might get slightly better treatment under these new enforcements, but this looks no real different than than that new Oscar rule that requires films to pass certain diversity tests before they can be considered for awards. . Any affect on anime is going to be secondary when the focus is clearly more on pushing for more dversity in the domestic industry. The original complaints spoke specifically about the lack of black members and black film nominations. If anything, it'd put foreign films and anime in an even tighter spot since they have those even less than American films do.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

Anime and foreign films might get slightly better treatment under these new enforcements, but this looks no real different than than that new Oscar rule that requires films to pass certain diversity tests before they can be considered for awards. . Any affect on anime is going to be secondary when the focus is clearly more on pushing for more dversity in the domestic industry.

Please cite in the new Golden Globes rules these claimed similarities.

juaifan wrote:
The original complaints spoke specifically about the lack of black members and black film nominations.

The original complaints last year and this year were many, and not limited to one issue. Please see the Minari controversy.

juaifan wrote:
If anything, it'd put foreign films and anime in an even tighter spot since they have those even less than American films do.

Uh, if you think the current Oscar rules will prevent most foreign films — specifically anime — from being eligible for Best Picture, you haven't read them. (Tip: Search for "Asian.")

Back to the original topic, the good news is that this year's Golden Globes changes will help with the many issues the Golden Globes have had, although more needs to be done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1