• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I plan on waiting for the BD's to watch it, but my reason for posting is to let users know that "Blank Paper" is a collab between Back-On and Koda Kumi. It makes sense considering how they've worked together before. So slaying they OP song was expected whether they worked together or not. lol
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I didn't know about that. No wonder the singers sounded so good and familiar. Koda is even married to Back-On lead singer Kenji03, and they have a son.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
[Political bullshit I feel like saying, feel free to skip to the next paragraph if you don't care] There's definitely overtly political elements, even going as far as to highlight "THIS is the beautiful honest & pure rural life we're fighting to defend >:O" in episode 2. But the problem here is... no one would mind this if it was about, say, Palestine. It's only seen as "problematic" because Japan is seen as a "privileged imperialist nation" that doesn't get to think about being colonized. Kyoukai Senki is often compared to Geass, but Geass' writer is very obviously liberal if you look at the politics in his Devilman & Lupin shows. He just crossed a line that's considered taboo within the context of anglo liberalism (much like this show). The treatment of Japanese civilians by occupying forces very obviously echoes postwar Japan, where despite the Japanese military's (admittedly extremely fucked up & immoral, not trying to sugarcoat that) actions, Japanese civilians absolutely were treated like dirt. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed that Japan isn't exactly pure either in later episodes. Basically if someone starts the Japanese Atomwaffen after watching this show, they were already insane.

[Politics end here] Will watch episode 3 very soon after I make this post, but until episode 2 I wouldn't say it really "started off strong with the action" - I get that the protag, his mech & the not-Digimon AI buddy were just starting off & thus they couldn't pull off really acrobatic moves, but it couldn't wasn't quite excitingly directed enough after all that buildup (you can make the simplest of combat motions feel amazing, look at Shin Mazinger's first Rocket Punch for a beautiful example). Episode 2, however, had both solid buildup AND a great money-shot action scene with dynamic choreography, cool camera angles & solid animation. Above all else this is a toy ad anime for model kit fans and episode 2 sold the "awesome robots" aspect much better than the first. Excited to see the rest.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the anime's singers, you can watch Yuna Fukinbara build some of the HG model kits on Bandai's YouTube channel. Currently waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.

kakugo complete wrote:
There's definitely overtly political elements, even going as far as to highlight "THIS is the beautiful honest & pure rural life we're fighting to defend >:O" in episode 2. But the problem here is... no one would mind this if it was about, say, Palestine. It's only seen as "problematic" because Japan is seen as a "privileged imperialist nation" that doesn't get to think about being colonized.

Maybe it's just me but I got more of an anti-imperialism vibe from the setting than anything else. The soldiers in the first episode were Oceanic-stand ins, and it's not like Oceanic countries have an amazing history with how they treat and push out aboriginal people from their land. I don't really see the issue in a country fighting back against actual armed military forces invading and trying to colonizing their country.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I've already dropped this show in favor of Rumble Garanndoll which gives me all of the robot fighting a season needs, good characters on both sides and most importantly, an occupation force that makes sense. Oh right, it's funny too.

What broke this show for me was when the "Good Japanese Citizen" ended up with Oceania foes on one side of "the Seto Inland Sea" and Asian foes on the opposite end of the water. How.... geographical. It's not really an allegory if you just say how you feel.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I got more of an anti-imperialism vibe from the setting than anything else. The soldiers in the first episode were Oceanic-stand ins, and it's not like Oceanic countries have an amazing history with how they treat and push out aboriginal people from their land. I don't really see the issue in a country fighting back against actual armed military forces invading and trying to colonizing their country.

I think the American idea is "Japan should think about its own war crimes abroad & not make stories where they're victims of foreign forces" basically treating Japan like the America of east-Asia even though they're nowhere near as powerful.

Bringing back Geass' writer for a bit, Devilman Crybaby makes a point out of Miki being half-white & treated as a "filthy gaijin mutt" by Japanese nationalists (and also as a dumb dog-eating Asian bitch by white people online, which is something mixed-race people often face!) - that's another thing US liberals & leftists would not do because of the assumption that "whiteness = inherent privilege" just like "Japan as a nation = inherent privilege".
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The Mecha is the only good thing about this Code Geass rip-off, everything else is meh (and I dislike the MC very much)
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Feels like they're speedrunning a season of Gundam. How many times will our pilot give up on piloting and then find the determination to get back in the robot? Once every other episode?
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Killing off Risa just to get Amou even more upset is about the most obvious and tired route you could possibly take,

Is it only me that found her death dumb? Like what was her plan? If she had died during the initial attack surprisingly it would have made some sense but not "I'm going to shoot my B.B gun at the giant mech to distract it?"
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Quote:
Killing off Risa just to get Amou even more upset is about the most obvious and tired route you could possibly take,

Is it only me that found her death dumb? Like what was her plan? If she had died during the initial attack surprisingly it would have made some sense but not "I'm going to shoot my B.B gun at the giant mech to distract it?"

You're not the only one, I think she was just there just to make Amou gone through an emotional shocked and quit piloting and come back again, the usual banal pattern. Sigh
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I suppose Risa dying to motivate Amou to leave instead of stay was a bit different then the usual, but it was still too tropey for me. Amou's reaction was a bit over the top too. He just met her, what, 2 or 3 days ago? Not saying seeing that wouldn't have been traumatic, but it's not like he just witnessed his family being killed.
Besides that though the rest of the episode was good. I think it'd be interesting to not have Amou end up being the protagonist and we just follow the resistance, but obviously that won't happen Laughing

Sinsekihokimchiansu wrote:
Abraham Omosun wrote:

You're not the only one, I think she was just there just to make Amou gone through an emotional shocked and quit piloting and come back again, the usual banal pattern. Sigh

Same thinking here on both counts. And why would Ghost have even bothered? Would an AI ignore hitting the possible threat, basically mid swing, to attack a target that is no threat?
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
a mech anime that isn't using cgi?

the fudge?
Fakerman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
yea too many shounen clichés in a single episode for my tastes
rip
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The weird elf-eared villain of this week's episode is certianly a highlight of the show so far, in a "oh, so this is what the series composer thinks of non-Japanese people" kind of way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
That demon/devil eared character design was pretty hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3