• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Raises Subscription Prices in U.S., Canada

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Might have to cut Netflix after what I think is between 9-10 years of just subbing to their streaming service. Shame because they are the best in terms of all around content (with HBO MAX coming close). Might just stick to HIDIVE and RetroCrush but those both got bought out just recently so jury is out on the future.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm gonna have to cut down on a streaming service. Not Netflix though, as miffed as I am about their raising prices.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:11 pm Reply with quote
At this rate I think Netflix is the streaming service I use the least. Their mania for cancelling shows left and right has create a huge amount of orphaned content and the fact that they rely on licensing shows means there's constantly stuff leaving the service. That sort of issue is tolerable for a lower price point, but not for twenty bucks a month.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm going to have to say goodbye to Netflix - that's just too much money for how little of their content actually interests me.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah doesn't surprise me at the end of the day all that matters to them is profit.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
i used to have Netflix streaming until they keep changing the interface over the years,so i change to DVD plan
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
And this is exactly why I never have and never will subscribe to any streaming service.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
And this is exactly why I never have and never will subscribe to any streaming service.

...because you have to pay money?
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

I mean, even Netflix themselves has encouraged the Right Click, Save As meme.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I was worried at first, but then I remembered that we don't pay for Netflix. We get it through T-Mobile. that's a sigh of relief I guess. I feel bad for everyone who has to pay though[/url]
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:

Oh boy I needed that laugh! Bravo lossthief.

I can't imagine buying every show or movie I want. I'd go broke within 2 weeks. You have to pick and choose.

Streaming is basically rental stores now but instead of costing $3-$7 for one title I can rent 1,000-10,000's of titles for $13-$21 a month with no late fees and gas money. You be very lucky to find 1-3 anime title where I lived in the late 80's to early 90's and you were stuck with those same ones for at least a year with questionable dubbing because there was no sub version because those where mostly bootleg tapes done by fans at the time around collage campuses. I would not trade those old days for anything but it's way better these days. If you told me I would have a good dub just weeks after it premiered I'd called you crazy. Trust me kids you may have problems but media selection ain't one of them. End of old anime fan rant.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
lossthief wrote:
zrdb wrote:

Oh boy I needed that laugh! Bravo lossthief.

I can't imagine buying every show or movie I want. I'd go broke within 2 weeks. You have to pick and choose.

Streaming is basically rental stores now but instead of costing $3-$7 for one title I can rent 1,000-10,000's of titles for $13-$21 a month with no late fees and gas money. You be very lucky to find 1-3 anime title where I lived in the late 80's to early 90's and you were stuck with those same ones for at least a year with questionable dubbing because there was no sub version because those where mostly bootleg tapes done by fans at the time around collage campuses. I would not trade those old days for anything but it's way better these days. If you told me I would have a good dub just weeks after it premiered I'd called you crazy. Trust me kids you may have problems but media selection ain't one of them. End of old anime fan rant.

Or choose option B: Piracy. That sounds crass, but price hikes are pushing people in that direction. This isn't the early 2000's where you just had to take what you can get, now anyone can get anything they want at light speed.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or choose option B: Piracy. That sounds crass, but price hikes are pushing people in that direction. This isn't the early 2000's where you just had to take what you can get, now anyone can get anything they want at light speed
. Piracy is an iffy topic but I'll just say I endorse it for stuff I can't get legally or is out of print and priced to high hell (like Urusei Yatsuri TV episodes). I agree that everything is becoming expensive for the average 1st world county citizen and this 7.0% increase inflation along with a pandemic is doing no one except the big wigs any favors. Having said that if you do come into some money in the future try to make up for it by buying the product you like/love. I think I've bought Elder Scrolls IV 3 times after I've pirated it 2 times in the past.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Never had Netflix never will at this point, why bother?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
It seems like an easy solution to this would be for Netflix to offer a cheaper ad supported service to help pay for things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4