• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shin Ultraman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
gonna have to watch this but something tells me it does have overarching themes lol
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
Come on, is this even a surprise? There was no way this movie was gonna be a failure. Ultraman has always been successful in Japan.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
gonna have to watch this but something tells me it does have overarching themes lol

It does. I spent two paragraphs detailing what they were and why they didn't work.

Quote:
All in all, each distinct section of the film is handled well and gives a meaningful exploration of its themes. Unfortunately, the episodic structure of the film means that it has few overarching themes—and those that it does have largely fail because of that structure. One such theme is the ineptitude of the government—how it never seems to learn its lesson and is doomed to repeat its mistakes endlessly. Sadly, this theme is treated as little more than a repeated comedic beat rather than a greater analysis of the problem.

The main theme of the film, the power of friendship, fares little better. Centered around Ultraman and his SSSP partner Asami, their relationship is supposed to form the basis for the film's climax—and explain why Ultraman feels the need to protect humanity, no matter the consequences. The problem is that Ultraman and Asami actually share very little screen time. In fact, for more than half the film, he is no-contact with the SSSP in general—Asami included. They simply have no real opportunity to form such a plot-vital friendship—no matter how much Asami brings up the subject in passing. The number of conversations they have in the film can be counted on a single hand.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
More like four separate episodes than a cohesive film

I wouldn't be surprised if Anno eventually reveals that was the entire point of the movie: To essentially recreate the feel of Ultraman, right down to the episodic nature of it. While people tend to focus on Anno's penchant for breaking down stuff & the like, he's also just an Übermensch of an otaku who loves recreating exactly what he loves about his favorite stuff, right down to the minutiae. I could easily see a producer for Shin Ultraman look at his script & state "This just feels like four episodes of a TV series!", only for Anno to look back at the producer deadpan & respond with "Yeah, and isn't that awesome?!".
nixice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Anno eventually reveals that was the entire point of the movie: To essentially recreate the feel of Ultraman, right down to the episodic nature of it...

Sure, that seems to be the point... but it still has to work for its purpose. Like, you can do an episodic film, with distinct stories in each segment ala Creepshow or specific slices of a life ala Moonlight (...that's two proper frames of reference, right?), but it really helps to have a cohesion tying it together so that as the stories start and stop you are still invested to see what comes next before there's no more. If it feels too much just like four "episodes" of what could have been a whole season more but this was only be a 90-minute film, then it doesn't really work as a 90-minute film in and of itself and seems like it should have just been an episodic series.

And going by the reviewer's description of how the characters are not interlinked enough in the film, that feels like a missed opportunity to provide that needed glue. Even if Anno was following a TV-as-a-movie concept, part of the typical TV formula is to check in with the characters every episode (although I don't follow Ultraman so I'm only guessing they use that trick?), to reset viewers and orient the board for the next chapter to begin. You don't have to have those characters in the same room or in conversation to do that, if each story is its own flow, but if the purpose of having multiple stories is to build a narrative and thematic tower, it helps to have those characters bouncing off each other rather than be in their own worlds dealing with their own crisis.

Not that I have seen the film to know how I'd take this format myself (if you tell people that Shin Godzilla was just all the human bureaucracy parts of a Godzilla story elevated to the main storyline, probably they'd go running away from rather than towards the theater...), and I'm still eager to see it, but I think I can see why this structure could be a point of criticism.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
nixice wrote:
Not that I have seen the film to know how I'd take this format myself (if you tell people that Shin Godzilla was just all the human bureaucracy parts of a Godzilla story elevated to the main storyline, probably they'd go running away from rather than towards the theater...), and I'm still eager to see it, but I think I can see why this structure could be a point of criticism.

I haven't seen Shin Ultraman either, & I never said that the format couldn't be criticized. I was just pointing out that Hideaki Anno has always been someone if, given the opportunity, does something his way & doesn't really care about how the likely reaction to it would be, positive or negative (see: Evangelion TV's final two episodes, Shin Godzilla, Eva 3.33, etc.). You can sure as hell criticize those kinds of decisions, but I was just bringing up a likely explanation as to why this format was chosen, because it's likely just not as confusing or mysterious as one might expect.
Oby

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
nixice wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Anno eventually reveals that was the entire point of the movie: To essentially recreate the feel of Ultraman, right down to the episodic nature of it...

Like, you can do an episodic film, with distinct stories in each segment ala Creepshow or specific slices of a life ala Moonlight, but it really helps to have a cohesion tying it together so that as the stories start and stop you are still invested to see what comes next before there's no more. If it feels too much just like four "episodes" of what could have been a whole season more but this was only be a 90-minute film, then it doesn't really work as a 90-minute film in and of itself and seems like it should have just been an episodic series.

And going by the reviewer's description of how the characters are not interlinked enough in the film, that feels like a missed opportunity to provide that needed glue.

Are you kidding me? You're using Creepshow as the "good" example of cohesive separate chapters in a movie compared to Shin Ultraman? When was the last time you watched it before making that comment? Creepshow movies are horror anthologies with separate stories that barely have any connection with each other. For example, one story tells us about a living Native-American statue while the other is about an oil monster in a lake with completely different characters that barely connected to the previous ones. They're more like multiple episodes of Tales from the Crypt jammed into one movie. That's like the exact opposite of one cohesive story. I'm pretty sure Shin Ultraman will be a lot more cohesive than the likes of Creepshow 1, 2 & 3. I mean, it's not like they're gonna change Shin Ultraman protags 3-4 times in a single movie.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
Finally got to see Shin Ultraman myself and wow, I am really surprised by how far off the mark this review is...and that's before putting on the Ultra Fan glasses. Just a few things to point out:

- The film absolutely has overarching themes that build upon themselves, and the connective tissue between the "episodes" is blatantly laid out by Mephilas.

- The fact that the reviewer thinks the climax centers on Ultraman & Asami's relationship indicates to me that they must have taken a bathroom break during a critical scene between two characters...

- Ironic that the reviewer found government ineptitude to be a central theme; it isn't. Shinji Higuchi & Hideaki Anno said that they already did their government satire with Shin Godzilla and did not want to repeat themselves.

- This is more personal because the review calls out one of my favorite scenes, Asami's intro, but does not recognize why this is a prime example of the smart filmmaking on display.

- It's also unfortunate that the reviewer missed the message of the film at the end.

So yeah, at the risk of coming off as elitist, this reviewer clearly "didn't get it."

Now, speaking as an Ultra Fan, this film was a damn masterpiece. There are countless inspired decisions throughout, such as spoiler[Ultraman's entire body changing color instead of the traditional color timer.] This is a smart, sophisticated love letter and right now any other fandom would kill for the kind of care and attention Shin Ultraman received.

Now that Anno & Higuchi are 2 for 2, I cannot wait for Shin Kamen Rider!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1