• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Switch RPG's Video Previews Characters, World, Battles, Classes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brook09

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Compared to xenoblade 2 this looks too friggin "safe" with the character designs.

It also probably won't gain as much traction as mentioned game before, as the fan art that xenoblade 2 generated was phenomenal and certainly attributed to its sales.

With this one I can't see it reqching the popularity and sales that xenoblade 2, it doesn't have the extra and looks jus too generic.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:
Compared to xenoblade 2 this looks too friggin "safe" with the character designs.

And thank goodness, really. Xenoblade 2 was an absolute mess of overdesigned characters from too many artists who all had drastically different art styles. Looking at screenshots of the game nowadays, it's hard to believe all of those characters are in the same game together. I'm really glad we're getting more consistent character designs for a game that looks like it's going to have a more serious story.

Brook09 wrote:
It also probably won't gain as much traction as mentioned game before, as the fan art that xenoblade 2 generated was phenomenal and certainly attributed to its sales.

I dunno, I don't have any statistics, but I feel like I've already seen quite a bit more fanart for 3 than I did for 2 before its release. Nintendo's certainly advertising it more, and fans managed to crash the store as soon as special edition pre-orders went up, after all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
There's one thing Monolith Soft is really good at and that's posting these cool cutscenes while we have absolutely no context of how it will fit in the larger story; the tease is so good! Cool

Brook09 wrote:

With this one I can't see it reqching the popularity and sales that xenoblade 2, it doesn't have the extra and looks jus too generic.

That's a weird assumption Xenoblade 3 won't do as well just because the designs are "too safe." Hell, I'd say the designs in 3 are far more balanced and focused and thus pleasing to look at.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a pretty action-packed and emotionally stirring game.
Touma55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:

I agree the designs are a massive downgrade imo. I loved the variety and creativity in XC2 especially after the very boring designs in XC1. I do get why they are more simple this time though. It seems to me like they are the way they are since class switching changes the look of the characters and that wouldn't work well if the standard character designs were too unique.

My fear is that this will hurt the games popularity in Japan. I know a few Japanese fans who also seem to think that it may hurt its popularity since the designs aren't very eye catching people wont be as interested in creating art of the characters, but only time will tell.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm ok with the female lead not being dressed as a stripper with watermelon sized tits.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is definitely looking to be a huge improvement compared to the last game.

Less of the female characters looking like strippers with watermelon sized breasts is an objective inherent improvement.

God the designs in XB2 were horrendous. Everyone looked like crap there.
Touma55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Yeah this is definitely looking to be a huge improvement compared to the last game.

Less of the female characters looking like strippers with watermelon sized breasts is an objective inherent improvement.

Just out of curiosity what was so bad about the main casts designs? Obviously you seem to have a problem with women having larger breasts for some reason, but what was wrong with Nia or Morag?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the more consistent and reserved designs- XC2 had a lot of designs I disliked, primarily in the optional Blades, but also in the leads. Whereas here I don't have a kneejerk negative reaction to anyone's design.

In fact, in general I hope it tones down on the errors and excess of 2- in systems and design alike. And balances its narrative a little bit better. Torna indicates that they learned from a lot of their mistakes, so hopefully those lessons carry forward.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Just out of curiosity what was so bad about the main casts designs? Obviously you seem to have a problem with women having larger breasts for some reason, but what was wrong with Nia or Morag?

Meh their fine, but several of the others pfffft.

Never could take Pyra seriously, what an ugly design. But hey its the natural result when all you care about is horniness when designing a character. Laughing

And horniness aside yeah the other characters just kinda bordered on ridiculous and not in a good way. Rex's pants will never stop being baffling.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Only watched some snippets from the direct but it looked cool, still I never played a Xenoblade game (Nintendo's consoles are too expensive were I live) but it seems Nintendo is pushing as their main RPG game (not counting Pokémon). Actually, I've seen a lot of drama surrounding this direct from Nintendo fans that do not like the Xenoblade series, I guess they're just a minority of fans but it seems like they have something against anime-styled games, though I think they're forgetting that Nintendo is a Japanese company
Touma55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Meh their fine, but several of the others pfffft.

Never could take Pyra seriously, what an ugly design. But hey its the natural result when all you care about is horniness when designing a character. Laughing

And horniness aside yeah the other characters just kinda bordered on ridiculous and not in a good way. Rex's pants will never stop being baffling.

Eh agree to disagree on Pyra, but I guess I think its ok for women to be able to show some skin. Cant say I'm a fan of this push to treat women who show skin like sluts especially since I wear clothes that are kinda revealing like 50% of the time. But hey maybe we will go back to not being able to show our ankles one day!

As for Rex I kinda agree, but it fits when you take his full scavenging outfit into account imo. No clue what was wrong with the other characters. Who do you even mean? Zeke? Tora? Poppi? Don't tell me you are talking about the blades who aren't even really characters...
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:

Eh agree to disagree on Pyra, but I guess I think its ok for women to be able to show some skin. Cant say I'm a fan of this push to treat women who show skin like sluts especially since I wear clothes that are kinda revealing like 50% of the time. But hey maybe we will go back to not being able to show our ankles one day!

As for Rex I kinda agree, but it fits when you take his full scavenging outfit into account imo. No clue what was wrong with the other characters. Who do you even mean? Zeke? Tora? Poppi? Don't tell me you are talking about the blades who aren't even really characters...

Pyra doesn't bother me, personally. I mean, the outfit reads all sorts of horny to me, but that isn't an automatic dealbreaker. Nia's wearing ugly pajamas, and Rex looks like he quit changing out of his salvager suit about halfway through. Why does he have his helmet around? I know it has a plot purpose-Azurda-but a pouch or satchel would do that just as well. Notably, both of those characters have spoilery outfits that I like much better. And yes, some of the optional blade designs are discordant at best and occasionally poor -also, what have you done to T-ELOS?- but generally its more an issue of too many disparate designers there.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:

Nice strawman.
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:

Yeah, the designs do look a lot mroe mundane compared to 2 which is a shame. I loved the eccentric and unique designs like Pandoria, Zeke, Morag, Pyra, and the others. Sadly I think this is a Three Houses situation where they had to make the characters look more generic for the sake of the class change system. Everyone just wearing basic tactical gear is certainly more boring from a design standpoint but easier to program them changing outfits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2