• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru Manga Ends on August 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
Good! Hope they announce anime soon to fully adapt all the remaining chapters.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 am Reply with quote
Really a shame that this manga can't be released in print in the US, unless this is something that the mangaka has chosen. Maybe it's just me, but I love the feel of a nice book in my hands and would rather that over a tablet any day. It also gives me a greater appreciation of the artwork involved in making this series. I visited the Manga Museum in Kyoto when they had an exhibit of Chihayafuru manga artwork in October 2019 and got to look at a lot of the originals used to make the covers of various volumes. One of the highlights of that particular trip. Really would love it if that artwork could be brought over to the US for a museum exhibit. I would gladly pay to see that up close again.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
^I imagine the 50 volume count would be a hinderance to a physical release unfortunately. At least without some amazing digital sales.

Getting a 3rd season was a great surprise, but I hope it's not too much to wish for a 4th Smile
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:30 am Reply with quote
Would be nice if the official English manga can catch up, the last released was volume 32.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
didn't the mangaka behind this plagiarize someone else's work and attempt deniability until convicted? I'm surprised people are so positive regardless.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
didn't the mangaka behind this plagiarize someone else's work and attempt deniability until convicted?

She did, yes (even ANN wrote about it at the time), she plagiarized magazine photos as well in Eden no hana. (My thought at the time was "wow, how stupid you have to be to plagiarize Slam Dunk, of all manga?) It was the usual story, her works were fairly popular so after the usual song and dance she got off with a slap on the wrist, ie. a relatively short hiatus.

It was a long time ago so I think a lot of people aren't even aware it happened. And Chihayafuru is much beloved and acclaimed, so I guess those who knew forgave her and moved on. I don't think there's been any incidents since then.
Gamazoar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
didn't the mangaka behind this plagiarize someone else's work and attempt deniability until convicted? I'm surprised people are so positive regardless.

There was never any conviction in court as far as I know. The allegations of tracing artwork from Slam Dunk for her manga Eden no Hana all the way back in 2005 were invested by Kodansha and by that point she already admitted to some of the allegations. I think it would be fair to say she learned her lesson after that manga in question was cancelled. A couple years after that situation she was given another chance and created Chihayafuru. There are still a few articles here on ANN that discuss the matter.

Chihayafuru had an impressive run! I've enjoyed what I've seen from the anime when I watched the show. Curious if the production companies would push for adapting the rest of the manga into anime. As far as I know, only 27 volumes of the manga have been adapted, so a little more than half of the series.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
that's pretty horrible though
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Should Inoue also not be allowed to create manga because of Slam Dunk's own similar plagiarism issues? Just curious.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru has been dragging this final bout for a long time but I still enjoyed it. However, it is about time to wrap it up.

Hoping for a season 4 and 5 of the anime!

cookiemanstah wrote:

Yeah it's pretty bad and she admitted it and it was her previous work. It's clear she ain't doing that anymore and Chihayafuru is great work
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Is it? I don't see how it's bad at all.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Don't understand why the poster is using this particular space to drag Suetsugu as if they have some personal beef with her. Not saying that plagiarism isn't bad. But this is totally unrelated to Chihayafuru, which this news is about. There's a time and place for everything. This is not an outlet to attempt to cancel Suetsugu for an issue unrelated to Chihayafuru.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Almost as horrible as someone spreading lies!

1. There was no conviction. Copyright infringement isn’t even a criminal offence in Japan and in most civilised countries.
2. She didn’t deny it but admitted it as soon as it was pointed out.
3. She suffered the consequences. Her series was scrapped right at the end and didn’t get a new series published for quite a while.
Racs_fear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Almost as horrible as someone spreading lies!

1. There was no conviction. Copyright infringement isn’t even a criminal offence in Japan and in most civilised countries.
2. She didn’t deny it but admitted it as soon as it was pointed out.
3. She suffered the consequences. Her series was scrapped right at the end and didn’t get a new series published for quite a while.

that should not happen, at least she should be given a second chance.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Getting a 3rd season was a great surprise, but I hope it's not too much to wish for a 4th Smile

Same here. It would be great to get a complete adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1