• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toshiyuki Toyonaga, Kouki Uchiyama Star in P.A. Works' New Buddy Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:30 am Reply with quote
I feel like PA works's standard in-house style will really clash with a scifi/adult action thriller anime, the promo pick looks slightly... garish even. Regardless of whether the background in the pick is supposed to be a photo, it really clashes with the pink and white graphic design.

Last edited by AsleepBySunset on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenfra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:32 am Reply with quote
Yay, more fujo bait.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
I guess it was about time for a new buddy cop anime (unless you count Tiger and Bunny).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
With Tosshi and Ucchi as the main characters, I’m all in. P.A. Works as the studio is just a bonus.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I feel like PA works's standard in-house style will really clash with a scifi/adult action thriller anime

Yeah, I agree, though not necessarily because of the colors (that can be done well, and if this is a comedy it doesn't matter if it looks "garish" or whatever), but just because how PA Works can't seem to get away from being, well, PA Works. If this was anyone else than them I'd be cautiously looking forward to it, but everything I've seen from PAW that tried to venture away from "cute girls do stuff" was either derivative and worse, boring, or just plain bad. I guess we'll see where this goes, but I'm not exactly excited.
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
Not much excited for another buddy anime, since everyone's BL fan favorite Tiger and Bunny, Summer 2022's Fuuto PI and a few forgotten original series already did the main male duo from the past decades or so.

Do we really need another one?

Fujos would dig on these, but I really hope P.A Works would make it more obscure and weird enough for me to watch. Otherwise I'm way too skeptical for another bait on board.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
Retrojuicepop wrote:
Do we really need another one?

Do we really need another Cute Girls Do Stuff Cutely anime?
Do we really need another isekai anime?
Do we really need another football anime, hell, any sports anime?
Do we really really need another mech anime?
Do we really need another idol anime?

...yeah.

And as for the "fujo bait" thing, I really wish people would just stop with this crap, especially when 99% of the anime we get is basically chuunibyou adult otaku bait, moe otaku bait, mech otaku bait, a thinly veiled excuse for guys to ogle hypersexualized women often in various states of humiliation, and so on. But strangely enough that's all fine, but suddenly if it's pandering to women it's terrible.

Also, PA Works making something "obscure and weird", well that would be a first in their history, all things considered.
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:21 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Do we really need another Cute Girls Do Stuff Cutely anime?
Do we really need another isekai anime?
Do we really need another football anime, hell, any sports anime?
Do we really really need another mech anime?
Do we really need another idol anime?

...yeah.

I mean if newer audience would be fine with it...

Those are getting on my nerves though except for sports and mecha anime, since they were easy to be snubbed from my perspective. If they were desperately try on making money out of cookie cutter media, it's real sad for them who can't break the formula and experiment.
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

And as for the "fujo bait" thing, I really wish people would just stop with this crap, especially when 99% of the anime we get is basically chuunibyou adult otaku bait, moe otaku bait, mech otaku bait, a thinly veiled excuse for guys to ogle hypersexualized women often in various states of humiliation, and so on. But strangely enough that's all fine, but suddenly if it's pandering to women it's terrible.

At my own viewpoint, any kind of pandering bait that destroys all hopes and dreams is considered unacceptable within the world of anime. Fujo bait was far more concerning as of now.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:58 am Reply with quote
Retrojuicepop wrote:
SHD wrote:

At my own viewpoint, any kind of pandering bait that destroys all hopes and dreams is considered unacceptable within the world of anime. Fujo bait was far more concerning as of now.

1. .........okay.
(1.a. You're aware that anime is a business, right?)
2. How is it "far more concerning as of now" when the overwhelming majority of anime is straight-up pandering targeting guys?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1