• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs Season 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Fyodor's involvement in the case that first brought together the Armed Detective agency was an amazing reveal! From what I've seen, most people seem to enjoy the light novel flashback arcs over the main storyline with Atsushi and the gang.

Keep saying that I'll buy the light novels for BSD but I end up buying something else instead lol. The light novels are definitely on the priority list for me!

Looking forward to going back to the present though I've forgotten where season 3 ended on... Was it the poisoning?

EDIT - just checked. no, it wasn't the poisoning. Ended with the arrest of Fyodor. My bad
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say. The way Ranpo solves crimes is insane sometimes and how he decides to use it as a "talent". It's like the opposite of what Reigen told Mob last season. Still, I thought it was only trivial, but young Odasaku is voiced by Atsushi? Here come my theories
Anne F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This is such a strong start to the season! I really enjoyed it a lot. I hadn't read the light novel or watched the stage play of this arc yet, but I'm really looking forward to that now along with the rest of the season!
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I also get weepy at mention of Odasaku. I have started reading the 2nd LN and it deals with the beginning of the 2nd season. I'm going slow 'cause I know what's coming.

Odasaku (and the kids) didn't deserve that and it still makes me mad how they were used. I'm with Dazai on this one.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
From what I've seen, most people seem to enjoy the light novel flashback arcs over the main storyline with Atsushi and the gang.

Apparently, I'm in the minority. I mostly enjoyed the first three episodes, and seeing Fyodor is always a treat, but I'm tired of the show doing these flashback arcs every season. That's not to say I don't want light novels adaptations, but when the number of episodes allotted per season is only 10 - 12, time is limited. It's not often that I suggest a movie format, because I dislike the recent trends, but I wish they'd adapt the light novels similarly to Dead Apple. Or perhaps, if that's not an option, as OVAs instead. Anything to keep the story going at a reasonable pace without skipping anything of value.

I haven't read the manga or light novels, so I can't speak to this season (yet), but the Season 3 flashback had almost 0 relevance to the remaining episodes of the season. Not only that, but several episodes from Season 3 were seemingly condensed in order to fit everything they wanted to show (i.e. that episode where we learned more about Atsushi's orphanage should have been an entire episode, not half of one).

As for the Season 2 flashback, it wasn't until recently that someone told me Season 2 was (in their opinion) rushed when compared to the manga. That flashback was absolutely necessary, due to the government friend's betrayal, but if it caused the pacing issues, the trade off might not have been worth it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's been long since I hear Akira Ishida as the villain but he sure feels... mysterious when talking to the new guy. I don't know who voices him but totally sells the episode with his yellings and movements. It's like the director wanted to make a contrast of insanities (especially when showing Fyodor in the opening)
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if it's a dumb question but how come Mushitaro's 'The Perfect Crime' ability didn't erase the final tear-stained manuscript? Did he leave it out on purpose so he could fulfil his friend’s final wish?

Anyway, that ending was really intense... Guessing the rest of the Agency are going to be involved now
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Sorry if it's a dumb question but how come Mushitaro's 'The Perfect Crime' ability didn't erase the final tear-stained manuscript? Did he leave it out on purpose so he could fulfil his friend’s final wish?

...let's go with that. Actually, it makes a lot of sense, given his conflicted feelings about the whole thing. (It's not a dumb question - I'm not sure of the answer myself.)
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Great twist!

I'm confused about the Dazai situation though. I don't get how his crimes were being covered up by the perfect crime dude. That dude only just came into the picture this season, but Dazai's crimes go all the way back to his Port Mafia days, right? This hunter guy wasn't after Dazai in the previous seasons so was the perfect crime dude covering up Dazai's crimes all these years? I feel like I'm missing something obvious, I'm completely lost on this.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a lot did happen in this episode. An hour after watching the episode and I’m still
processing what went down…

Can already imagine Akutagawa going full on edgelord once he finds out that his precious Dazai’s been arrested
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, this episode felt like Urobuchi writing a fighting series with the handling of Nik and how ridiculously violent is everything he does
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
It's really hard to remember that the mafia and detectives are allies when the former nearly killed Atsushi several times in the three seasons.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:59 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
It's really hard to remember that the mafia and detectives are allies when the former nearly killed Atsushi several times in the three seasons.

I was thinking this too, but then we're back on track this episode. All sides' moves are all for the benefit of their respective groups. I pretty much lost it when Mori flat out lied to Yosano about her being a potential "payment" to the Mafia. Everything has a price, and with 1,2,3,4, 5, 6... 7? groups all at play this season, I only expect chaos moving forward.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that "allies" is strictly the right term (although I've probably used it) to describe the relationship between the Agency and the Mafia. They're more like two sides of the same coin, and the destruction of one would be the destruction of the other. They aren't saving the detectives because they want to; it's more like they have to in order to maintain the balance. That's why Mori can get away with lying to Yosano - the two groups just have to both exist, their makeup doesn't have to remain static.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we find out more about Yosano as she's always been my favourite Agency member despite her limited screentime lol.

Yeah, Fitzgerald does indeed seem to be the lesser of evils. Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds

Guessing we'll be seeing Akutagawa soon? Don't think he's made an appearance yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2