• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Revengers is back and Takemichi made a new Toman friend, is still getting beat up, and still has no idea what he's doing, but at least he's got Chifuyu on his side and alive. But he can't screw this up because he's not going to conveniently be able to go back again considering he'll be in jail if he does.

Hakkai and Yuzuha are both cool and Taiju seems like an utter monster. Also the show is really bringing in some major VA's.

Also Hina is surprisingly okay with how involved with gangs her boyfriend is.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Natsuki Hanae is having way too much fun voicing Koko
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
I think Hina's emotionally violent response to Takemichi was a bit deeper than it looked. Days earlier, she told him the story of their first meeting (despite mentioning that it was uncomfortable to share). She made herself vulnerable by opening up to Takemichi about that experience, because she loves and trusts him. Obviously, he crushed the poor girl by dumping her (and on Christmas Eve no less), but Hina is no idiot. Well, there was that time when she thought Mikey and Draken were interested in the same girl... but let's forget about that.

She has her quirks, and the occasional moments of silliness, but overall, Hina has shown a strong ability to read situations and pick up on things that others don't (such as Takemichi seeming like a different person at times). While, yes, the breakup was cringe and terribly timed, more than anything, I think she realized Takemichi wasn't being honest with her. Despite saying that he'd thought about breaking up for a while, and even after being told that he likes someone else, Hina made it clear in the future timeline that she genuinely doesn't understand why he dumped her. After hearing what her Dad said to Takemichi about not being around for his family, and seeing Hina ask her Mom if she still loves Dad after all these years, I think we're seeing a new side to Hina.

She's more than a hopeless romantic who tries to see the good in everyone. She's more than the typical shonen damsel in distress. She's more than a middle school girl who uses violence to punish the MC for being stupid (as a means of comedy for the viewers). She's usually all smiles and positivity, but that doesn't mean her life is perfect. Hina seems to have some trust issues, courtesy of her absent father, and she truly values honesty as a result. Being dumped was certainly bad enough, but being lied to... especially after she had been so honest with Takemichi about her feelings... I think that's what angered her the most. She would have been sad either way, but being dumped by someone you trusted... who you saw the good in... who you stood by during the good times and bad... when a person who meant so much can't be bothered to give you the WHY, that really stings.

Of course, it's also possible that I'm reading into this too much. lol
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
Not to dispute anything, but I find it increasingly funny that the review focused on the main straight couple when everyone that I know is following this show is doing it for the yaoi
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've usually been on Takemichi's side for a lot of this even when it felt like he's fallen short of a proper protagonist, but he really screwed the pooch here.

I mean, I get why Automitchy broke up with Hina now, because her dad told him too for her safety and because he was too young to know any better, but this is a Takemichi who knows that breaking up with her doesn't actually keep her safe and instead she had to live with knowing the guy she loves more than anything dumped her on Christmas Eve for years and never having a good reason why. In the same episode that showed us why she fell in love with him and how deep that love was. So what's the point of breaking up with her now? It just makes him look bad.

Although Hina pounding on him almost makes me wish she was the protagonist and got to take care of things on her own.

I guess plot-wise now we have a bit more of an idea as to why Kisaki is obsessed with Takemichi and Hina and has tried to kill them in every timeline.

Does this plan to take down Taiju and save Hakkai stand a chance? I mean, it's just the four of them against Taiju (well, three I guess since Takemichi needs to stop Hakkai) but other than Hanma I'm not sure if any of these guys can take Taiju in a fight. I feel like they'll rope the rest of Toman in at some point.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, I keep giving this show the benefit of the doubt, and it keeps throwing it back in my face. Takemichi dumping Hina was so asinine it made me actively start rooting for him to lose. Then Yuzuha didn't get to join the final fight, so that's two for two on female characters getting shafted. And then Mikey and Draken rendered this entire goddamn arc pointless by proving that Black Dragon was never dangerous and we dragged this shit out for nothing. What a [expletive] mess.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am Reply with quote
This arc made me drop the manga completely. I then read up on everything that happens afterwards and realized that Bloody Halloween was pretty much the peak of the series. The rest of it is just more of the same, but gradually getting worse.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
Honestly the arc was kind of losing me but somehow the conclusion just won me back.
TonMorX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Why "Season Finale" in The News title - There is One More Episode left ...
Eddy2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there one more episode left? I think it's confirmed for 13 episodes, not 12.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1