• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha's The Margaret Magazine Ceases Publication

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sad news. Many interesting and good shojo mangas were published in Margaret magazine.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:
Sad news. Many interesting and good shojo mangas were published in Margaret magazine.

Calm down, it's The Margaret that is shutting down, not Margaret, The Margaret.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This was pretty sad since I was importing issues of The Margaret pretty recently, but I guess it's not surprising. I don't know if even some of their more successful manga-ka recently debuted in The/Margaret, and it's probably very true that they just don't need it anymore.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:39 am Reply with quote
The naming is a bit confusing. Margaret is the original magazine launched in 1963, The Margaret the sister magazine launched in 1982. The Margaret was published only four times a year, Margaret was published weekly until 1988 and then changed to twice a month.

Circulation-wise the two weren't too different in the last decades, both well above 200'000 in 2003 but have since dropped to a twentieth of that.

There's also Bessatsu Margaret, a monthly magazine also launched in 1963, with its height in 1986 with 1.8 million in circulation and steadily declining since then to today's 45'000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1