• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What new Winter '24 anime are folks looking forward to?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This is an unusual season in that all three of favorite anime from last season are sticking around for a double length run, and there are at least 3 more returning shows that I'll give 3 episodes minimum even if the premieres suck.

But I'm not seeing a lot of standout new anime. I'll give way more of them a shot than I should, but I'm not seeing any hype for much of anything except Solo Leveling which I will definitely watch, but I'm not all that jazzed about it because I read the web novel and probably liked it more than the anime can live up to.

The new anime I'm most looking forward to is the The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic though it doesn't look like it's vying for anime of the year or anything. But from what I've gathered from the summary and the trailer, it's an isekai about a poor shmuck who gets stuck with a healing vocation and winds up going through hellish training more hardcore than anything the "heroes" are going through. His instructor is apparently a female cleric version of Yami from Black Clover. "Don't worry, if this kills you, I'll bring you back to life."

Another one I'm interested in is Ishura. From what I understand, it starts after the Demon King dies, and all of these odd bedfellows who banded together to fight a common enemy start resurrecting old rivalries and personal ambitions. And these are "Heroes" who aren't really heroes and can tear apart cities.

Again, not shows with Demon Slayer animation levels, but they look like they have their own vibes and cool ideas.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
I've got a preliminary list of Winter '24 titles here (scroll down a little to the blue-highlighted titles).

Also have a corresponding Google Doc, in case anybody wants to copy, paste, and edit for their own personal use.

Chained Soldier has me curious. I was never one for ecchi harem titles, because most of them are silly pervertedness with gag humor that tends to get old after a while. But after seeing such titles as Eminence in Shadow and Mushoku Tensei, I'm surprised ecchi harem actioners can also be quite compelling, so we'll see if this turns out the same.

I'm hoping Delicious in Dungeon will be as surprising and mouth-wateringly chill as Campfire Cooking in Another World. The latter has become my default slice of life fantasy title. And at this point, I'm not even expecting crazy animation from Trigger for DiD, since the majority of CC's production value was in the food art.

As I mentioned in the Solo Leveling opener, it's the combination of A-1 Pictures and Hiroyuki Sawano. And pretty much any title he composes music for usually turns out pretty epic, so at least it has that going for it. The key art for that one also has this dark fantasy vibe to it, so consider me interested.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
I'm hyped for Fire Hunter and Sengoku Youko and am going to watch Shaman King Flowers, that said I'll probably end up delaying both of these for a few months (just due to the arbitrary way I like to manage my watchlist)... I had no idea the next season was almost ready.

Dungeon Meshi and Majo to Yajuu are low on my priorities, I might watch them within a year or two, I might watch them lord knows when. I don't care for "kill, butcher, cook and eat" shows regardless of how well they review. And Majo to Yajuu's colour palettes and general look and feel in general are actively bland and muddy to the point at which they're kind of ugly. You have to have an astounding story to compensate for art that below average if I'm generous and the story sounds a little generic.

That said I like fantasy so it might end up on my watch list at some point. I don't want to go too hard on Majo's art but it is bad enough that I will dock points off it, and it's been demoted on my watch priority since the first promo poster came out due to bland art/colours.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga. Recently watched the Kyoto Arc to get me up to speed. Fire Hunter got a lot of flack in certain quarters, but I dug it even with its wonky bits so I'm primed for FH2. The sequels to Maschle, Magic & Muscles, Synduality: Noir and The Dangers in my Heart are also welcome.

Lest all of that gives the impression that I'm only interested in sequels - not so. Hyped for Solo Leveling, Delicious in Dungeon, Metallic Rouge, and Meiji Gekkan: 1874.

Every season, I seem to stumble on at least one Unexpected Surprise. An US is a show that hadn't gotten much advance chatter (at least none that I'm aware of) but turns out to hit my sweet spot. Under Ninja was my Unexpected Surprise for Fall 2023 and I hope Winter has one (or more) in store for me.

Anyway, looking forward to test driving 26 new shows and carrying on with three Fall faves: Frieren, Apothecary and Shangri-La Frontier.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm hopeful for Delish in Dungeon too, though I'm not expecting to love it. It seems like it's going for a comfortable "like" kind of a vibe.

Don't know much about Metallic Rouge. The little bit I saw looked like a hyper animated Lycoris Recoil, a show I liked well enough.

And I should probably give Fire Hunter another chance. It got grim and depressing at a time when I wasn't in the mood for that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Once again proving I have all the steely resolve of a marshmallow, my new show sample list has increased from 26 titles to 32 and I haven't even seen a second of the new season yet. I pawed through the Upcoming Anime list at ANN again and added some titles I initially scorned. They tend to be of the "dungeon" and "reincarnated villainess" ilk. No doubt I will end up dropping them at some point in the future but I'm willing to give them a bit of a shot. There's a personal circumstance in my life that is leaving me very open to the idea of being distracted, even in a mediocre way, which I think is making me a bit less wary than I may otherwise have been.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Right now the second season of The Apothecary Diaries and, perhaps, the second season of The Fire Hunter make up my list. I'm hoping the writers of the latter can put out a story that isn't as disjointed as that of the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1