• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Higurashi Anthology Illustrator Dokumegu Arrested

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Damn that fan was devoted.

I thought I remembered reading that consent was around 13 yrs old in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
.....Why doesn't this surprize me. I really don't understand why artists do this, aren't they paid enough so they can lead a good life?

Really patheic Dokumegu got himself into.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Damn that fan was devoted.

Can I ask what exactly your personal motive is for endlessly defending and obfuscating any issue like this - and I mean any, because every time something like this comes up you're really quick to jump on it and offer something like "well clearly that person wasn't actually being a pedophile because...".

I really do want to know at this point.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
This only strengthens the argument that the dread spectre of moe must be destroyed once and for all. Guys like this, no matter WHAT their acalades may be...need either professional help or a bullet in the head. End of story.
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
.....Why doesn't this surprize me. I really don't understand why artists do this, aren't they paid enough so they can lead a good life?

Really patheic Dokumegu got himself into.

I don't think money is the issue here.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Not to say he doesn't have other problems too, but the part where he asked the girl to bring him $1500 probably wasn't a fetish thing.
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Not to say he doesn't have other problems too, but the part where he asked the girl to bring him $1500 probably wasn't a fetish thing.

Guess you have a point there,maybe the guy was taking advantage of a young fan in order to get some cash but still.....
RedTigerWolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
The title *Higurashi Anthology Illustrator* Dokumegu Arrested, is very misleading to readers.

Clearly stated that in the article the guy is only a doujinshi author.. What does this have to do with the actual work of Higurashi... now tell me that. Heck, he could make doujinshi of any other anime, but that doesn't mean he's involved in the production of the real product.

This is complete journalistic name slamming, making a headline appear more than what there actually is, thus slandering a series or product.

This is exactly like if someone says "Boy kills friend: He played Grand Theft Auto". Slanderous journalism right here. This only makes this site less and less reputable each and every day.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Who gives a crap about some deadbeat doujin artist, honestly. And what does this have to do with Higurashi? Nothing? Yea I thought so.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
RedTigerWolf wrote:
The title *Higurashi Anthology Illustrator* Dokumegu Arrested, is very misleading to readers.

Clearly stated that in the article the guy is only a doujinshi author.. What does this have to do with the actual work of Higurashi... now tell me that. Heck, he could make doujinshi of any other anime, but that doesn't mean he's involved in the production of the real product.

This is complete journalistic name slamming, making a headline appear more than what there actually is, thus slandering a series or product.

This is exactly like if someone says "Boy kills friend: He played Grand Theft Auto". Slanderous journalism right here. This only makes this site less and less reputable each and every day.

Hmm, I'm just not seeing it. Sure, the headline mentions Higurashi, but what that does is put the story in context for anime fans. It's not saying that because he had something to do with Higurashi that he was involved in some shady stuff, I didn't get that at all from reading the article.

If it just said "Random artist convinces gullible fan to give them $1500", then why would that story be on ANN? For all we know it could be talking about Celine Dion at that point.

You might be able argue that the story itself is too tangential to be noteworthy for this particular site, but I feel accusing the story of placing blame on Higurashi is something of a leap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
RedTigerWolf wrote:

Maybe because he ISN't a doujinshi author, at least in the context of what was stated.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ひぐらしのなく頃に-ノベルアンソロジー-DMC-NOVELS/dp/4758003866

does a novel anthology sold on amazon.co.jp count as doujinshi? I don't think so. (his name is listed under illustrators).
Most pro illustrators in Japan used to (or still do) draw doujinshi, but this particular work he did for higurashi was paid for and officially sanctioned.
You can argue how much the fact that he did this matters to the story, but don't call something doujin that isn't.
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Each prefecture has its own specific law on top of that national base standard. Supposedly, 16 years of age tends to be the most common regulation.
coyote1284

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
As "translated" hentai style:
Quote:
The girl was a junior college student at the time, but is now a college freshman.

/She looks young enough to be in elementary college!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, how exactly did this incident become known? Did the girl contact the police or was the artist foolish enough to tell someone about it?

Also, Zac, asking about the actual laws involved is a valid question. You can't be held legally responsible for something if there is not a law forbidding it. (At least that's generally how legal systems work.) It has little to do with the person's nature but rather the jurisdiction of law enforcement.

Of course, I haven't observed the same pattern you have, so I'm only opining based off the question itself.

Regardless, I'd say the man in question is in trouble. Though I'm not sure why they're bringing up the issue of asking a fan to give him money. Why would that be a legal issue? (Aside from asking her to bring it to a hotel, which almost makes it sound like she was paying him for services of a variety likely to be somewhat illegal.)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
I too would like to know what services/merchandise etc did she pay him for and what law was actually broken that was in place last year at the time of the incident.

Also, why was this brought up now as opposed to 4 months ago?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2