• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Phoenix Down

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
I know how those lingering coughs feel. I've had my fair share that refuse to go away for...months...

On to the actual anime, I think it's about time I put my Simoun DVDs into the player. I'm quite eager to watch this, so I think I'll start now before I get to watching the latest batch of this season's episodes.

Nice collection this week, as well. I was going to comment on his lack of the re-released Mai-Hime box, but then I noticed it in one of the pictures Smile.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
wow

actual signatures from Japanese Anime Industry!!

i think only signature i managed to wrangle was Makoto Uno who signed my artbooks for Love Hina...

i don't know if signed box i bought for Saber Marionette J collection with Tsukasa Kotobuki count...

i do have few other signatures from few of American actors here and there but generally i don't go around collecting signatures...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Pheonix was my most recent impulse buy

I enjoyed it quite a bit (even if I was 'somewhat' disappointed at how they handled the final chapter)
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Hey...I also got an illustration of Yume Asakura autographed (my drawing's different) at Anime Expo 2007...
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
I recently finished watching MoonPhase for the first time on AZN, which was actually the last time it was being shown on the network before it went dark. But I gotta tell you, I fell in love with that show. All the imouto stuff kinda creeped me out at first, but I felt the good really outweighed the bad. I really wanna pick up the boxset now, but at the same time there are plenty of Geneon sets out there that I've been meaning to get before it's too late. =\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
wow

You just don't know how easy it is to obtain an autograph in any North American con. In Asian cons, if you ask the guest to sign on your T-shirt, a manga book, a DVD boxset, or a piece of napkin, the security will kick you out of the convention hall right away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
wow

You just don't know how easy it is to obtain an autograph in any North American con. In Asian cons, if you ask the guest to sign on your T-shirt, a manga book, a DVD boxset, or a piece of napkin, the security will kick you out of the convention hall right away.

Heh, the tightest security I've seen was when CLAMP came to Anime Expo 2006. Quite a few people (200 was it?) got their autographs, but there was security everywhere and they made you stand behind a taped line across the floor in front of CLAMP's table.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Sorry to read you've still got the cough of doom Bamboo. Just be glad life isn't anime. Cough = death in anime.

Ooh, now I'm even more psyched to see Volume 2 of Kanon! If you say it's awesome Bamboo, it's almost certainly going to be delightfully cool to me too.

I bought Moonphase a while back when the singles were coming out. Recently, I've started to get the manga, and the anime is a bit more manic in places. While the manga is more balanced, the anime does a better job with some of the early action like with Vigo(Bigo?) trying to prevent Hazuki from escaping from the castle and Elfriede's attempt to "convince" her to return. Nice to see a review that doesn't completely freak out over Hazuki's age. Why some people get so worked up over the age of a fictional vampire girl is beyond me.

Though I delight in the cute, I don't remember doing anything under the sheets while watching Moonphase. (Watching TV in bed ruins your ability to sleep well according to sleep experts.)

MB lost a sale for me by making Simoun sub-only. Great series but I've got a limited amount of money to spend and sub-only doesn't meet my purchase standards. (Perhaps someday I'll buy a boxset used but probably not.)

Never had any interest in Phoenix.

By the way, am I the only person who instantly thought of Final Fantasy and RPG's in general when they read the sub-title for the column? I think the whole anime industry could use a Phoenix Down right now. Crying or Very sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
The British Medical Association, (BMA), has rubbished all OTC Cough medicines back in 2002 They published a report in the British Medical Journal (BMJ). You're better off with an oily soup like chicken soup, or a hot mug of lemon with a tea spoon of honey, or a tea spoon of set honey on it's own. Aches and pains and a fever are best treated with just the usual pain reliever tablets. every 4 hours, but not more than the recommended daily doses per 24 hours. If a cold lasts more than 2 weeks, get yourself to your doctor ASAP as something more serious could be the matter.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
I really appreciate all the Simoun love on ANN - it really is great and maybe it gets the attention it deserves Smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Awesome collection, PG! Anime smile

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the individual releases of Kanon or wait for a box set. The latter would be much easier on me, but I would definitely like to watch the series again soon. The "rental" review of vol. 2 makes sense to me because vol. 3 is where the good part starts!

Phoenix sounds like it has an interesting set-up. I've seen episode one and really enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll be able to make the time to finish it in the future. And since I love buying things in bulk, the MoonPhase box set seems worth a try. The style of the show look nice and I want to see more SHAFT series anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
As I've said other places, I was severely disappointed in the ending of MoonPhase. The plot buildup all the way through got you interested in spoiler[Hazuki's vampire lord father, and then he never shows up.] The first half story arc with Count Kinkle was very cool, but the show never took the next step.

As a side note, I don't know how anyone could say the first 3/4 of Kanon vol. 2 was boring. Confused There's plenty of comedy and character development going on, as well as deepening the mysteries of the show.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You're better off with an oily soup like chicken soup, or a hot mug of lemon with a tea spoon of honey, or a tea spoon of set honey on it's own.

Organic Beechams! But without the much-coveted paracetamol.
I myself don't get colds. I have a layer of protective dirt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
By the way, am I the only person who instantly thought of Final Fantasy and RPG's in general when they read the sub-title for the column? I think the whole anime industry could use a Phoenix Down right now. Crying or Very sad

I'm pretty sure that was intentional.

dormcat wrote:

Ya, I know. Meeting Ryoko Shintani in Japan, they wouldn't even give me a hand shake, much less an autograph. Although, when I get autographs at US cons I usually plan ahead and bring something with me. I prefer it rather than having whatever they provide. Makes it rarer. I plan to get a lot more at AX 2008 hopefully.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Awesome collection, PG! Anime smile

Thanks. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Heh, the tightest security I've seen was when CLAMP came to Anime Expo 2006. Quite a few people (200 was it?) got their autographs, but there was security everywhere and they made you stand behind a taped line across the floor in front of CLAMP's table.

Which would be the normal level of security here.

PantsGoblin wrote:
Although, when I get autographs at US cons I usually plan ahead and bring something with me. I prefer it rather than having whatever they provide. Makes it rarer.

And that's part of the reason why Asian cons allow no personal item to be autographed: there are just so many professional scalpers (nicknamed "autograph cockroaches") who would sell those "rarer" items on auction. I've seen an autograph board of Takeshi Obata (Death Note) bidding at over US$250, and scalpers even start producing and selling replicas.

I know that you are drooling just by looking at one of my autograph collection. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2