• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[a sick person swinging an I.V. you don't see that everyday Smile ]

Another quirk about Rinspoiler[she can;t stand the sight of a happy family. Even with Kagura, with whom i assume she started staying with right after her parents had their little "relapse", she couldn't bear the sight of Kagura and her mother being happy together. but later, once she found her "mother", she than starts to be more friendly with her. oh, and Rin's thing with Tohru also help reinforce what Yuki had already been thinking about before volume 14, that he was looking for a mother in Tohru.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
On the anime and Akito, I think spoiler[his kimono in a few scenes was a little too open in the front for him to turn around and claim to be a woman, if a sequel were ever produced.] And, like Richard said, that's assuming any sequel follows the manga storyline.

On Rin, that scene Vol. 20 is one of my favorites, too. Rin spoiler[helps Tohru sort through her emotions and admit that Kyo is the most important person to her. To me, that makes up for much of Rin's unfriendliness to Tohru in earlier volumes.]

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

On Rin, that scene Vol. 20 is one of my favorites, too. Rin spoiler[helps Tohru sort through her emotions and admit that Kyo is the most important person to her. To me, that makes up for much of Rin's unfriendliness to Tohru in earlier volumes.]

-Murph

Most definitely. What I really liked about that episode was the fact that spoiler[Rin has earned Tohru's confidence so much for the girl to make such a statement. Rin is one of the few people that can see the real Tohru with her hopes and fears. I liked the fact that Rin knew how to make the right question. Whe she asked Tohru the first time what is her most precious thing, the girl didn't know what to answer and yet she was disturbed by it. Not even Shigure would have succeeeded in pointing down such an important and revealing question as this one which shows the great depth Rin can go. ]

Also it demonstrates a woman's understanding as well. Wink Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I think that Rin certainly was able to use the help that she got from Tohru. For the longest time Rin spoiler[herself suffered some severe trauma: getting rejected by her parents, being pushed out of a window, and losing Haru. Tohru knows that it's hard for one woman to fight on her own for so long, so this pairing was something that really brought out something between them that we wouldn't have expected.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
OK, this week we're discussing Yuki and Haru.

Good friends and spoiler[perhaps more than that Wink though only in Haru's mind. That's actually one thing I have trouble understanding about this pair. Haru's got Rin, and really only wants Rin. Haru saying he's in love with Yuki -- and meaning it in a romantic sense -- is good for a gag, but I wonder what he'd do if Yuki ever called his bluff. Anyhow, more friendly kind of love exists between these two. Yuki allowed Haru to vent the anger and resentment building up in him as a child. Haru convinced Shigure to take Yuki away from Akito, giving Yuki the chance for a more normal life.]

I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly, spoiler[I don't think Haru really "loves" him. he has a deep affection for him, but that's as far as it goes. he loves Yuki because he was the first person who didn't treat him like he was stupid, even though it was supposedly the rat's fault that the ox gets laughed at. he says that he likes Kyo to, but not as mush. and who knows, maybe he is bi or something;]

EDIT:400th post
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Maybe some parts of their relationship should have come with some footnotes. Very Happy

Anyaways, I like Haru because in spite the fact that he seems rather superficial at the beginning, he is one of the most profound characters in Fruits Basket. Moreover he is one of the brave because spoiler[ after Akito prohibited in the past for someone to see Yuki, he would always go to see and talk to him and sometimes Rin might be together with them to protect Haru. As Rin puts it, Haru is a very kind person.]

One of the things that affected greatly at the beginning his relationship with Yuki was the fact that Yuki was the mouse and he was the cow and spoiler[many people thought that Haru was stupid because in the zodiac story, the cow took the mouse on its back and later whn they arrived to their god, the mouse jumped from the cow's back and became the first animal to arive making the cow feel used. They have the confrontation about that but Yuki succeeds in making Haru understand that it doesn't matter how people think of him but as Haru perceives himself. Making him understand that this is the most important thing was perhaps Yuki's greatest victory because Haru from there on understands this and becomes his true friend. ]

It semed to me that Haru always had the feeling of wanting to protect Yuki because many times along their childhood and later on Yuki seems to be frail. spoiler[Firstly he visits Yuki when nobody was allowed and then he asks Shigure to take Yuki with him; when Shigure tells him half-jockingly that he will have to call him sensei for that, Haru takes it seriously and he will never stop calling Shigure sensei which proves the seriousness with which he treats all the matters related to the people that he loves.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
I think Haru is the character that defines "Honor" in the series.

His relationship with Yuki is an interesting one. Not like what Yuki and Tohru have and certainly not what Yuki and Kyo have. But there is warmth and coolness to it. I think that the coolness comes from Yuki for the most part because of his trying to distance himself from caring/everyone. The warmth comes from each understanding each other in the little ways and for the fact that Haru spoiler[came to see Yuki in "the room."]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting what everybody wanted spoiler[the mindset to be for the younger Zodiac members, for them to play their roles as the legend was also played. Haru had never met Yuki up to the point of their fateful meeting, and obviously everybody was making fun of him. I think Yuki allowing him to take out his anger at that one moment really proved something though, because Haru found out he wasn't all that dumb after all. ]Although his absent-mindedness that has come later in the series has proven to be of great comic relief Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Although his absent-mindedness that has come later in the series has proven to be of great comic relief Wink

I loved that about Haru because I identified with him very much in this point. I think I am about the only person who can get lost in her own city and not have a clue about where she might be. Laughing

What is interesting about Haru's character is his constant need to protect Yuki. It is like he almost instantly knows what might harm Yuki or what may cause trouble for him. spoiler[Like when Ayame came into the scene for the very first time. When Hatori came after Aya, it was at Haru's suggestion because he knew that Yuki didn't feel the power to face his brother yet. Perhaps he feels indebted to Yuki for making him open hsi eyes and not assume the role that everybody gave him, like fighterholic mentioned.]

In spite of the fact that they might seem quite different they can also have serious talks and share a common concern like in the Kisa's case when they both understood how she felt and they both spoiler[ joined efforts to make Kisa accept herself and be much stronger. Perhaps because both Yuki and Haru had some issues in adapting to the society. For instance while Haru seems so open-minded, he always suffered because of his hair (which he showed to the president to the student council to make the final proof Shocked Laughing ) while Yuki, although popular, mainted himself at a distance from the others. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I like how you put that, aya_honda. Haru spoiler[feeling indebted to Yuki. Over the time however, it could be said that Haru has done way more for Yuki than he could possibly ever give back, ]but that's what you would do for somebody you care about a lot and who has had an impact on your life.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I like how you put that, aya_honda. Haru spoiler[feeling indebted to Yuki. Over the time however, it could be said that Haru has done way more for Yuki than he could possibly ever give back, ]but that's what you would do for somebody you care about a lot and who has had an impact on your life.

I think that their relationship is one of the stronger ones in the manga. Yuki must still learn how to live with friends and I liked the scene where he went and spoiler[thanked Haru after Hatori came and took Ayame. I think that it was the first time when he acknowledged the fact that Haru has been a good friend to him.]

But that doesn't mean that every once in a while Haru doesn't make fun or likes to exploit Yuki's weaknesses in a funny manner: spoiler[when Haru appears for the first time, he makes Tohru adress Yuki in a caring manner which makes Yuki blush and turn into the rat. Very Happy But one can't get mad on Haru. ]Though there are moments, when he becomes the Balck Haru and only spoiler[Yuki seems to be able to communicate with him. Like when Rin refused to date Haru anymore and he was so mad at school.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Just shows what kind of connection that they truly share. They're a brother-brother type pair that really looks out for each other.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
OK, this week we're moving on to Kagura and Tohru.

spoiler[Like with everyone else, Tohru only wants to be Kagura's friend. However, Kagura goes from being friendly to not wanting to be in the same room as Tohru. It started when she compared her reaction to Kyo's true form to Tohru's, but it got worse when she started to see the feelings and changes between Kyo and Tohru. ]

I'll cut it off there for now. With luck, I'll be around a bit more this week able to participate in the discussion more. I look forward to your thoughts.

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
It is interesting the fact that Tohru accepts Kagura's behaviour from the very beginning though it was shocking to see her violent behaviour towards Kyo at the starters. I loved the faces that Tohru made everytime that Kagura was punching or yelling at Kyo and in the beginning I saw only support from Tohru.

Still I think that Kagura might have wondered herself about the relationship between Kyo and Torhu when on the Valentine's Day spoiler[Kyo makes and effort and eats the chocolate cookie that Tohru brought for him. But I think it takes a long time to Kagura to observe and perceive Tohru as a possible threat to her relationship to Kyo, especially since they have both reacted to his true form in different ways: while Kagura felt pity and her love started from this pity (though her love can't be dismissed because of this because her feelings were true), Tohru admits the fear that she feels but still tries to help Kyo cope with it. Although Kagura has tried to be around Kyo much more and perhaps make him see her with a potential romantic interest, still Tohru succeeds in making him open his heart.]

But through Kagura Tohru succeeds in finding much more about the Sohma family as the girl knows more than her. spoiler[It is Kagura which explains the interaction between Kyo and Yuki better and also explains Kazuma's closeness to Kyo. I think that this helped Tohru on the long run.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 136 of 170