• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would look good butchered?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
With Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin-chan, Milk-chan, and Ghost Stories, there is proof that bastardizing the original Japanese script and Americanizing has worked. What shows do you think would be good to butchered and be Americanized? As of now, the humor of Tower of Druaga is awesome but would look interesting Americanized (I think).
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Shin-chan was butchered? Prove it. I understood the English script is pretty close to the original.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: This is not an imageboard. Image + No Other Content = One-Liner = Not Allowed.~Zalis]
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
[EDIT: This is not an imageboard. Image + No Other Content = One-Liner = Not Allowed.~Zalis]

Does it really matter? This guy's an obvious troll based on his language, the thread's destined for lockdom anyway.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has seen both the American and Japanese versions of Shin-Chan I can say that the American version dialogue has zero correlation to the Japanese dialogue. I'm too lazy to prove it though so someone else can prove it if they want, or abynormal can continue to believe what he does, it's fine with me.

I don't know about the other shows, I haven't seen Japanese version of Milk-chan and haven't seen the other two mentioned shows at all.

I do disagree with the opening post that those four titles prove that bastardizing the Japanese script works. How do we know those four titles have been successful? Milk-chan didn't seem to last long before it was dropped from TV, and I don't exactly see Milk-chan and Shin-chan DVDs selling like hotcakes in retail stores.

edit: I don't think the opening post is trolling, so at the very least it's not obvious trolling. And depending on your personal definition of trolling, a common definition of trolling requires obviousness otherwise it can't be called trolling.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Does it really matter? This guy's an obvious troll based on his language, the thread's destined for lockdom anyway.
Yes, it does matter. The OP has a long history of reasonable, non-troll posting, and while I don't quite agree with terms like "butchered" and "bastardized," it's a legitimate question. As for "destined for lockdom," that's not up to you to decide.

However, I will ask of Ctimene's Lover: Why did those Americanizations work for the shows you listed? What about the American versions of them makes them better than the original Japanese?
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
if I may offer an answer, at least for Shin-chan, it isn't really a "butchering" or a "bastardizing", but the script was written to include references and allusions that an American viewer would understand, like something relating to Britney Spears. i don't know if that really made it all the more successful, but I'm sure that it made it more accessible to an American audience.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
As someone who has seen both the American and Japanese versions of Shin-Chan I can say that the American version dialogue has zero correlation to the Japanese dialogue. I'm too lazy to prove it though so someone else can prove it if they want, or abynormal can continue to believe what he does, it's fine with me.

I'd never even heard of Shin-chan until about a year ago, so I've never seen the Japanese version, yet I hear so many complaints about the English dub. I just wonder, is the Japanese script really that much wittier, or is it just purism speaking?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
the script was written to include references and allusions that an American viewer would understand, like something relating to Britney Spears

The dub of Shin-chan goes WAY beyond that. The dialogue is entirely different at pretty much all times, not just times where American references could be desirable. It's almost to the point where the exact same dub could have been written had there been no audio whatsoever given to the dubbing studio, and they were simply asked to write any lines they wanted to in order to fit what they were seeing on the screen. Hmm, it may even be beyond that in certain ways because even if that were done, it wouldn't explain how they went out of their way to make ultra dirty jokes at every possible moment. I'm not saying it was bad though, I think they did a really good job IF you like that sort of thing.

The Japanese dialogue version of Shin-chan has no dirty jokes whatsoever, pretty much. It's that different.

abynormal, no the Japanese dialogue is not wittier or better at all. I personally think Funimation made the right choice to bastardize Shin-Chan (I'm not saying that it's a "success" here though even as is, I don't really know). The Japanese dialogue just focuses on what is going on. It is totally ordinary. So yeah it's just purism speaking I guess. But the purists do kind of have a point: when you change a show THAT much it looks like you don't have any respect for the original work.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

abynormal, no the Japanese dialogue is not wittier or better at all. I personally think Funimation made the right choice to bastardize Shin-Chan (I'm not saying that it's a "success" here though even as is, I don't really know). The Japanese dialogue just focuses on what is going on. It is totally ordinary. So yeah it's just purism speaking I guess. But the purists do kind of have a point: when you change a show THAT much it looks like you don't have any respect for the original work.

Yeah, I looked up some clips on youtube to see what it was all about. While the dub goes for more raw laughs and edgy jokes, the Japanese dialogue is "cuter," for lack of a better word. All I can say is somewhere, somebody knew what they were doing and the folks at Bandai liked it. Some series can just work with a rewrite.

As to the sales, Shin-chan's look probably has a lot going against it in the states. I've known so many people who get hooked or turned off on looks alone (eg. most of my family), so I wouldn't be surprised when the casual anime fan looks at Shin-chan's roughly-drawn characters and thinks "ew."
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The Americanization of the ones I mentioned worked to a small degree. Many fans prefer the dub Ghost Stories to the original. The reason why these titles and others may sometimes be better is because the humor is cruder and has more American pop culture. Also, because sometimes certain titles (i.e. Ghost Stories) may have not done well in Japan but tweaking it in the dub may make it more profitable for the Japanese.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Well, even shows like Naruto, Bleach, and D.Gray Man could stand a little "butchery" in places, just to trim the fat and present a leaner product without filler (including reducing looped and repeated animations and flashbacks during battles).

The series that almost NEEDS some butchering to succeed in the US market would be Hitman REBORN though, because the begining and most of the later part of the series are two completely different styles, and only those (like myself) who fall into the very specific vin intersection of the two actually get to enjoy the show. It starts as a wacky comedy show, but evolves into a really fun shonen action show, but if they show the anime as is, it would take them at least 20 episodes to even start showing that potential, about 30 before it really crystalizes, and by then, if the show hasn't been canceled yet, it's audience would at least be diminished.

If they brought it over to America, I would hope that they would start with the middle part of the Tsuna/Mukuro fight in the first episode, just to get a taste of the action element, then flash back to Tsuna and Reborn's introductions from the first episode.

Then the second episode could be the begining of the Mukuro arc, flashing back to the introductions of each character as they do something interesting, then moving on to the Vongola Rings arc. Ultimately they should trim the first 30 episodes or so down to about ten to twelve, and then I think it could really catch on with the Naruto/Ben 10 crowd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1