• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saber Rider Comes to American DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
On the fence as to whether or not I want to buy this or not. Great for nostalgia factor, since this was my very first anime. However, when I went back recently to watch some eps to see what they were like, I laughed from the sheer cheesiness factor (late 80s animation and acting). But the AoDVD forums said it gets pretty amazing at the end, and I don't think I actually watched all the episodes... so maybe.

The Japanese episode clips would be nice, just to compare.
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to have subbed Saber Rider or Star Musketeer Bismarck as its originally called, brought onto dvd. Tekkaman Blade was released that way so maybe this one will to?
billyarnie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. I liked Voltron, but if you have 5 Star Sheriffs in smaller mecha combining to form Saber Rider, then it's a copy, pure & simple. Even if there's only 1 giant freakin' robot, the 5-hero team is a similar gimmick.

Of course, Voltron probably ripped off Gatchman AKA G-Force, but G-Force didn't have a mecha... Just a cool spaceship... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Combining mecha were used way back in Getter Robo, that's not something voltron started.
exedore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
1. Chronological order is a good thing and mirrors what the German DVD release does. That edition also had a tonne of neat extras including lots of 5.1 bonus remixes of the BGM as well as various European dub excerpts and alternative OP sequences (I *love* the French version), so hopefully those will be in the US release.

2. Bismark/Ramrod is a transforming robot, not a combiner. If you see a comparison shot in-show, the individual vehicles are standard size and the main ship is frickin' huge.

Now if only WEP or VCI would allow a trade-in on their old "best of" set. I'm ashamed to admit how many times I've paid for some of these episodes by now and getting a bit of that back would be much appreciated.
Urd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Dub-only. Crying or Very sad
Shigi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
Sorry. I liked Voltron, but if you have 5 Star Sheriffs in smaller mecha combining to form Saber Rider, then it's a copy, pure & simple. Even if there's only 1 giant freakin' robot, the 5-hero team is a similar gimmick.

Of course, Voltron probably ripped off Gatchman AKA G-Force, but G-Force didn't have a mecha... Just a cool spaceship... Wink

Well then everything's fine since it's not a combining mecha, it's a transforming mecha and there aren't five Star Sheriffs . . . there are four. Wink

But yeah, shows about a "team" of characters with a giant robot (or more) were pretty popular in the 70s and 80s. They were like the dating sim anime of their day. Laughing

Anyway, seriously, will definitely be picking this up! Very Happy

And I'm really happy about the episodes being in chronological order (though I'm not sure if that would necessarily be exactly the same as the German version).
GW-9800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Voltron isn't the only super robot show from that time period, sure it's only one that came here that had any kind of success. And like Dunpeal said, there have been combining mecha before Voltron.

Anyway, gonna be looking forward to this. Hopefully, it'll get the same treatment as Tekkaman Blade.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Edited or Dub only = No thanks !
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Most people will buy this for the nostalgia anyways, not for the original Japanese. Not even sure if all the original Japanese eps are still available** anyways, given how Japanese studios were sloppy with archiving back then. The video and sound tracks for these DVDs probably came from the American broadcast side.

[** Or niche sales justify worth tracking it down the old warehouses.]

That is, unless the Japanese themselves released the R2 DVDs relatively recently - then it should be easy to include the Japanese tracks.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Edited or Dub only = No thanks !

I agree, I would buy a Bismarck DVD set, but not this.

FYI: Like Voltron, this show was hacked to bits and reassembled, so this makes a bilingual Saber/Bismark DVD pretty much impossible. With this show they not only hacked the show to bits, but tried to edit it so that the Japanese guy wasn't the main character. They also made six episodes of their own to fill the gaps that they had made with their edits.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on guys! If we buy enough copies, maybe they'll consider releasing the Japanese subbed version, maybe... .
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for the classics, but since this is dub only I'm not purchasing this.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Oh, come on guys! If we buy enough copies, maybe they'll consider releasing the Japanese subbed version, maybe... .

I didn't buy Voltron and they've started releasing GoLion. I bought the first GoLion DVD set and have pre-ordered the 2nd.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
My Christmas has come early with that announcement! I was so happy when I managed to pick up a Bismark DX last year and now I get to get the DVDs. Thank you WEP and it's about time. I've been emailing them for years begging this.

I don't think I could watch the Japanese version of this, not hearing Peter Cullen just use his Optimus Prime voice as Ramrod's computer (well both are transforming robots I guess) even just for 2 lines a show would be enough to render it wrong.
And yes, the later episodes are a far cry from a lot of the throwaway episodes early on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2