• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 [2008-08-08]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice big logo. I think "Convention of Otaku Generation" sounds strange without an article in it however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Viz Media will show up at Otakon 08? I really want to know cause I'm dying to find out what anime they'll license next.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
Does anyone know if Viz Media will show up at Otakon 08? I really want to know cause I'm dying to find out what anime they'll license next.
I would think and and hope so. I want to see if they will reveal more about Naruto Shippuuden's release in America.
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:
I would think and and hope so. I want to see if they will reveal more about Naruto Shippuuden's release in America.

Don't see them on the Dealer's List nor does it seem they have a panel. I remember a friend of mine telling me that Viz exhibits at Comic-Con and BEA and has panels at a couple of other cons, but that's it. From what I was told, its to keep costs down, which given the state of the economy (nationwide and industry wide) I can see making a pretty big difference.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:

Yeah, and while they're at it I know they'll announce they have the licenses to Gintama, Reborn!, and probably Vampire Knight. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a FUNi and saved Tokyo Mew Mew from 4kids and while they were at it, picked up the Kenshin anime as well. They have Buso Renkin, why not rescue Kenshin?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:

Yeah, and while they're at it I know they'll announce they have the licenses to Gintama, Reborn!, and probably Vampire Knight. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a FUNi and saved Tokyo Mew Mew from 4kids and while they were at it, picked up the Kenshin anime as well. They have Buso Renkin, why not rescue Kenshin?
Wait...the Kenshin license lapsed or something?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:

I'd love for them to save and resurrect Shaman King; sadly 4Kids' dub was like One Piece's: not that great. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen, since SK wasn't that popular to begin with (who knows, maybe once the manga gets its proper ending in Japan we'll see the anime again in America).

I wouldn't mind hearing any news on Gintama or Vampire Knight myself; I liked the manga for both (although I haven't read much for VK), so watching the anime would be good. Anime hyper
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
That's a nice big logo. I think "Convention of Otaku Generation" sounds strange without an article in it however.

It's referring the Otaku no Video title that had "Grafitti of Otaku Generation" onderneath it. Yeah, I too wonder how many of the young folks will get it Wink
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Kadokawa USA supposed to attend Otakon? They were listed.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
State of the Industry panel was a bust: only Funimation showed up.

Now that I think of it, though, that's pretty much all that needs to be said about the state of the industry....
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
I thought Otakon 2008 was a mixed bag.

On the plus side, attendence was fantastic, 3000 more warm bodies than last year and the sheer numbers of cos-players, and those dressed up in costume. There were so many more in costume this year.

The industry was the down side, when compared to last year. Bandai was really the only color there in the dealers room. They kept things hopping and showed they cared. The Funimation booth looked like any other DVD dealers booth. Hell, I walked past it twice without knowing it was the Funimation booth. Gaia was a no show, though they did have a panel. My daughter was looking forward to the Gaia booth, but sadly they didn't have one, and we missed the panel since it was on Friday.

I remember last year's Otakon, so it was painful to see the lack of the industry's presence in the Dealer's room this year.

So kudos to Bandai, for their presence, their booth, their activity, and of course, for their live 'Yoko'.

Hope the industry doesn't duck next years Otakon, cause at 65 dollars a pop, it won't be worth the drive, trouble, and cash to attend.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
State of the Industry panel was a bust: only Funimation showed up.

Now that I think of it, though, that's pretty much all that needs to be said about the state of the industry....

Well ADV's panel was right after it almost so I can understand to a degree them not showing. However since I missed the Funi panel earlier in the weekend I still found it enjoyable simply to see what they're up to.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Hope the industry doesn't duck next years Otakon, cause at 65 dollars a pop, it won't be worth the drive, trouble, and cash to attend.

Next year, it'll be hard for companies to send reps all to AX in LA, Otakon in Baltimore, then to the San Diego Comic Con. Otakon may be the odd man out.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Next year, it'll be hard for companies to send reps all to AX in LA, Otakon in Baltimore, then to the San Diego Comic Con. Otakon may be the odd man out.

You know, that may actually be to their benefit- they like to think of themselves as the fans' convention, I think a few years ago they were bragging about how no other major con shows fansubs anymore. I didn't get to many this year, but looking over the schedule briefly, I see a lot of interesting panels. Maybe the low industry presence would give them an opportunity to focus more on fanworks and discussion and so forth.

Another possibility is that, if the R1 industry does crash, it will eventually recover- meaning a a "Third of Big Three" venue would be the ideal place for smaller up-and-comers to make their presence known.
tidusora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what happened in the ADV Films? They stated that they would tell us what their situation was in Otakon. :\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2