• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 - Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime industery pre 2008 crunchyroll sucks, crunchyroll is evil, crunchyroll can go to hell

Anime industery during 2008 OOOOOOOOOHHHH LOOK they have 4 million dollars lets go there
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Do you have anything to do besides trolling every CR post? Seriously.

I had been wondering if they were going to go the Hentai route. Kinda glad to see they aren't
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Lol wasnt trolling there just thought that was a basic breakdown of what has happend
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Makes me wonder if funimation and bandai will join up with cr as well. I mean who they going to listen to the minority of fans who dont use cr or the majority that do. I know they recently seaid they are fully against cr but then so were media blasters.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a huge fan of rewarding criminals. From what I understand CR has a build-in audience and system of revenue. This is attractive, yes. What message does this send the pirates and the fans of anime? This may disenfranchise a lot of loyal legit consumers, because it spits in all of their faces. It also empowers and enables law breakers. "Just pirate stuff long enough and make money from it. Once you are a good enough thief, we'll join you." CR to me would look 100% more legit if they would remove all unauthorized content, including things not yet licensed for foreign distribution. They will soon have a fairly tangible amount of LEGAL content. That should be enough for them.

Out of curiousity, do they have any kind of division or labels to help me tell what on their site is and isn't piracy? Like a "sponsored" or "authorized media" tag next to the anime name?
AF-Koopaking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, no ero anime? That sucks, they lost my vote.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Lol wasnt trolling there just thought that was a basic breakdown of what has happend

No, that's an incredibly simple-minded and frankly stupid way to sum up what happened.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
During the brief question-and-answer portion of the panel, Nguyen stated that Crunchyroll is not interested in hosting adult content on the service, primarily because it does not limit its users' ages. He also talked about Crunchyroll's desire to create ways to reward users who contribute to its community subtitling function and other parts of the site without having to actually pay them.
So what they want is for people to actively make fansubs for free? Some people never learn.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kireek wrote:

No, that's an incredibly simple-minded and frankly stupid way to sum up what happened.

Ye your right is a lot more complicated than that.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Quote:
During the brief question-and-answer portion of the panel, Nguyen stated that Crunchyroll is not interested in hosting adult content on the service, primarily because it does not limit its users' ages. He also talked about Crunchyroll's desire to create ways to reward users who contribute to its community subtitling function and other parts of the site without having to actually pay them.
So what they want is for people to actively make fansubs for free? Some people never learn.

Wait, don't many fansub people do that already? For free I mean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. I really don't want to support Cruncyroll. I don't really care if they're trying to be more legitimate now, they spent years profiting off pirated content. I hate to support those people. In this setup though I have no choice but to do so if I want to help the anime industry. I can see why this works for them but it's a little disappointing it has to be this way.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Quote:

Wait, don't many fansub people do that already? For free I mean?
Oh yeah they do. But most of those fansubbing groups don't make money like CR does.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
CR to me would look 100% more legit if they would remove all unauthorized content, including things not yet licensed for foreign distribution.

Not going to happen. When the option is to either be legit or lose most of their vaunted fanbase (and by association, their income), money wins. Seriously, how many people would actually continue to use CR if all the unauthorized content disappeared? I'd be willing to bet on a fairly small percentage.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder if they'll have the Japanese or English version of Angelic Layer on there, either way I wouldn't mind watching it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
This just gets weirder, and weirder. One of those "real life that's stranger than fiction" examples. Who ever said that crime doesn't pay must have died before 2008. How much longer can this zygot last before it miscarry's? That's what I'm watching for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2