• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 details

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rektagunn

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
great news.......hell yeah!

maybe this'll convince someone to make and distribute the first Gunbuster on dvd (except for Manga Entertainment.....I've lost my faith in them Mad )
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Shoot, now that a series this old has a sequel, people sure as heck won't stop about so many others. Then again, it is about damn time.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
About time, I actually asked Yamaga about this at the Gainax panel of Fanime 2002, and he said that it was in pre-production and that my info was very fast at the time. I have mixed feelings on it, but Gainax shouldn't disappoint. It should, at least, generate interest in the OAV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mermel

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster IS on DVD. I own it. I just wonder how they plan to make a sequal to a series that ended spoiler[12,000 years] after it started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tord

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is a region 2 UK edition of it on dvd. But it has not been released on dvd in the US yet.

Though the price and information I found about the UK edition is suspicious... reliable stores though.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This is great news I kept hearing about Gunbuster being made about 2 years ago. But nothing came out of it so I thought it was just a rumor. I wonder if Hideki Anno will be involve with the project?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Mermel wrote:
Gunbuster IS on DVD. I own it.

As Tord stated, there are foreign region DVD releases of Gunbuster, but if the DVD you own is Region 1 or Region 0, it's a bootleg.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
tord wrote:
Well, there is a region 2 UK edition of it on dvd. But it has not been released on dvd in the US yet.

Though the price and information I found about the UK edition is suspicious... reliable stores though.

The R2 UK disc is completely legit. One of the few anime we have in the UK that you don't in the US. It hasn't got an English dub mind you only a sub track, but that didn't particulary bother me as the Japanese dub is decent enough.

This is exciting news. Although like Mermel I wonder what the stroy is going to be based on. I was thinking it would be from the point of somebody else in the war but there was only one Gunbuster(not including the bomb and such)so that wouldnt really work.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
It hasn't got an English dub mind you only a sub track

I think it's a straight transfer from the VHS, as it's hard-subbed as well.

Oh well, it's mere existence is good enough for me. Until they GAINAX-up the releases ("Gunbuster: Director's Cut", "Gunbuster: Remastered", "Gunbuster: Platinum"... Rolling Eyes )
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
Honneamise doesn't need a sequel. It was already too long the first time around.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
Mr Mania wrote:
It hasn't got an English dub mind you only a sub track

I think it's a straight transfer from the VHS, as it's hard-subbed as well.

Yes, it is. It's also the US Renditions version that has a very obvious cut in the bath scene (oddly looping sequence, sound that is out of sync). Kiseki went all the way to present us with two whopping still images in the extra section though. Needless to say, I'm awaiting a proper version with bated breath... and a sequel even more so Very Happy
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:03 am Reply with quote
Well, folks, you're not gonna like the way Gunbuster 2 will look...

Newtype Magazine's preview for Gunbuster 2 (WARNING: 56K beware)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:28 am Reply with quote
FLCL + Mahoromatic = Gunbuster 2? Nooooo..... Now Honneamise2 will probabely look like a cross between NGE and Ebichu Anime hyper;;;. I'm not pleasantly surprised by this, as you guessed already. Darn.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:47 am Reply with quote
Dear Anno-san and Gainax,

Please hear our grievances. Did Michael Eisner take over your company? After all, how else could you explain such mediocre
television and straight-to-video productions? It's bad enough the only reason your company is still around today is because
your fans are stupid enough to buy the latest editions of Evangelion with one minute of new original footage. Now, ever since the popularity of Excel Saga, you're trying to jump on the band-wagon by making your own productions campy and self-aware, when most people have known since Otaku No Video that you were never really funny in the first place-just pathetic. Like Tarantino, your content generally references
numerous older shows and movies. And like Tarantino, without those references, you have no original ideas of your own.

But when people begin to like those other shows and movies more than your own work, we think it's time for you to quit and cash out before you embarass yourselves with another financial failure like Honneamise. Oh wait, that's already happened with the live-action Evangelion! What were you thinking?! "People aren't buying our calenders, so we've resorted to another Princess Maker-style game to make ends meet. But that doesn't mean they won't pay to see a live-action movie of a series that most people hated when it was animated!" So now you've resorted to mining your library for sequels to oavs that didn't need sequels in the first place, and ruined what made them appealing in the first place.

Congratulations in catering to the lowest common denominator and alienating the fans who made your company the success it is today. Now you've given us the freedom to move on to licensing shows from more progressive and innovative studios such as Gonzo and Studio 4 C. Good day!

Signed,

N. American Anime Distributors.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well said Gatsu. Only thing is, I'd replace Gonzo with Production IG, if we are talking about innovation vs fanservice-heavy CG fests (exempting the GITS: SAC version of Kusanagi for Production IG and Last Exile in the case of Gonzo). I really liked Gainax more before they had a marketing department Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4