• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Happinet Princess Resurrection - Hime & Flan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the pictures, but I'd say the Good Smile Hime is far superior. My only problem is that the pair of scissors just kinda rests there unsupported, but the thing overall is gorgeous, and also comes with a little Flan nendoroid. Also, your fig is 6 inches? That's tiny, the Good Smile was like a 1/7 I believe, and boy was it nice and heavy as well. Sadly, white pantsu.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
ROBOT PUNCH!
Awesome banner.

I'm not into statues but I can say it looks pretty nice.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Horah! Lets hope you get another good one again!
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
That's a great-looking figure! I'm so happy you finally got a good one!
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe it's just the pictures, but I'd say the Good Smile Hime is far superior. My only problem is that the pair of scissors just kinda rests there unsupported, but the thing overall is gorgeous, and also comes with a little Flan nendoroid. Also, your fig is 6 inches? That's tiny, the Good Smile was like a 1/7 I believe, and boy was it nice and heavy as well. Sadly, white pantsu.

I have to totaly agree with you. Good Smile Company's is way superior. And the Petit Nendoroid Flan just makes the deal sweeter. And since it's 1/7 scale it's bigger than the usual 1/8 figure. I just totally agree with you. I'm sort of dragging on arne't I? Sorry^^;
I just put up my review of my very first ever Nendoroid up at my blog.
http://gordanham.wordpress.com/
And remember comments=<3
Also awesome new Banner Rob
e-imi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Can you get some better lighting in the photos? Thanks!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the other figure looks rather neat but you've got to go with the chainsaw. All figures ought to contain a chainsaw or perhaps several.

Quote:
First, ANN reader Phillp Harrington made me this swell “Astro Toy” banner, which kicks the ass of Brian Hanson's “Answerman” banner (here's my answer for you, Brian: suck it).

Uh boy. Now Brian's going to respond in his column and it's going to turn into a big old fight. We'll ultimately have to settle it with a duel to the death which will be cool and all but a bit of a waste since you're both really funny writers. )=
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I have to totaly agree with you. Good Smile Company's is way superior. And the Petit Nendoroid Flan just makes the deal sweeter. And since it's 1/7 scale it's bigger than the usual 1/8 figure. I just totally agree with you. I'm sort of dragging on arne't I? Sorry^^;
I just put up my review of my very first ever Nendoroid up at my blog.
http://gordanham.wordpress.com/
And remember comments=<3
Also awesome new Banner Rob

I bought both versions, mostly because I wanted the Flandre figures--I'm not really into maids or robot girls, but Flan is just too awesome. Hooba!!! I prefer the Good Smile Hime too because Petit Nendroid Flan is cuter and comes with a "Fuga" word baloon. But Hime really should be wearing sexier panties with that outfit--that was the main problem I had with a Rider(from FATE/STAY NIGHT) figure I recently got: plain white panties don't match the outfit she's wearing--and yes, call me a pervert, but since many of these figures are designed to give a good panty shot panty sculpts/painting are very important!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I agree, the thought and care that's used on the outside of the fig should be carried over to under the skirt, and black always looks better than white.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Now I don't like to be the party pooper but...

It's things like this that keep me from being willing to collect anime statuettes and memorabilia. They are simply poorly detailed, lazily painted and generally poor all round.

In your article you state that the model has flat red on the chainsaw base, plain silver on the tiara and blade, flat black on the dress but for the hem. Why? Even the laziest painter I know will drybrush paint on, even done poorly drybrushing looks better than flat paint.

For $80 I'd expect a MASSIVE amount better quality, here is a similar model, ignore the paint job, the painter is obviously a professional, but just look at the sheer detail on the model for a great deal less money:-
[url]
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1184235_99111399003_INQDevoteeMain_445x319.jpg [/url]

Hell, check any half way decent 28mm historical company

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=1383

These are models that are far smaller and far lower in cost and yet are vastly more detailed.

Are there anime models of similarly high quality? If so can you direct me? I'd like to get some of them but just can't justify it for what I'm seeing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
The figures reflect the characters, usually simply designed and simply colored in the source material.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Say, about the banner. I can see Krauser (Obvious) And I can see Luffy's lower half on the far left side... I recognoise him by the shorts he's wearing. Cool detail Laughing .
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The figures reflect the characters, usually simply designed and simply colored in the source material.

This. Anime figures wouldn't look like their characters as they are depicted in the medium if the painters incorporated the level of detail that you see on GW models. I like realistically battle-scarred Space Marine armor just as much as the next guy, but I don't look for that kind of grit on an anime figure.

Last edited by Big Hed on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
In the second photograph, the vertical beam supporting the cabinet in the background seems to be going straight into Hime's nether regions. Intentional, perchance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I know>< I love that they include the "fuga" caption bubble. Which rider do you have Enterbrain's or GSC's? Either way that's so cool>.< rider figures are always so expensive though. Alter's swimsuit one always goes for over a hundered bucks on auction sites(T.T) Do you have a blog?

The Human Spider:
I bought both versions, mostly because I wanted the Flandre figures--I'm not really into maids or robot girls, but Flan is just too awesome. Hooba!!! I prefer the Good Smile Hime too because Petit Nendroid Flan is cuter and comes with a "Fuga" word baloon. But Hime really should be wearing sexier panties with that outfit--that was the main problem I had with a Rider(from FATE/STAY NIGHT) figure I recently got: plain white panties don't match the outfit she's wearing--and yes, call me a pervert, but since many of these figures are designed to give a good panty shot panty sculpts/painting are very important![/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2