• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q1-2009 Round.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
part-time steady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I knew I spelled her name wrong. Anyway, someone else can post the next mini game pic.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
I like the princess' names in that show.

Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun
Martina Xoana Mel Navratilova
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Tatsuki Iizuka from Hyakko]
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
spoiler[Tatsuki Iizuka from Hyakko]

Correct Razz Your turn~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'll post the scores on sunday - really sorry cause I'm busy with a lot of things, but I will start the thread for the next round now. rti9, please post your pic in the new thread instead. To the mods, if possible, please don't lock this thread yet. Thanks~ Anime smile
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Here are the scores! Sorry it took so long Anime hyper I also didn't have time (and my internet connection sucks at the moment) so I couldn't post the scores in the usual way.

Code:
rti9   15
BES Null Core   12
Furudanuki   8
G-mofactor   8
classicalzawa   6
Aylinn   5
DerekTheRed   5
kaizen-dono   5
murph76   5
bahamut623   3
Boomerang Flash   3
Generic #757858   3
Iwatch   3
NGE1113   3
Urd   3
abunai   2
Crawd    2
Dorcas_Aurelia    2
Forlorn Hope    2
jcaliff   2
jetz   2
marie-antoinette   2
Mike On Top   2
Mylene   2
Phibby   2
Sentire   2
bearfire76   1
dtm42   1
Earth_Wyrm   1
Elfen12   1
guet   1
Jen526   1
JesuOtaku    1
Key   1
Kimiko_0   1
Labbes   1
LydiaDianne   1
ManOfRust   1
Noether    1
Olliff   1
part-time steady   1
quikbeam1   1
rainbowcourage   1
Showsni   1
Symmetrical_Magician   1
taster of pork   1
Time and Space   1
velocet   1
Zewerr   1

Congratulations to rti9! Anime smile
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Top 9, w00t!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had a bad 1st quarter! I didn't even get any points! Hopefully, the 2nd quarter will be much better.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
It amuses--but I suppose also somewhat frightens--me to see that my name is actually tied for 10th with 2 others.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about this game, at least for me, is the fact that bad timing was more of a factor than not knowing the characters. I'd say that about half of the ones that I didn't get was because it was answered before I even got to see it.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have disgraced my family name!
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The funny thing about this game, at least for me, is the fact that bad timing was more of a factor than not knowing the characters. I'd say that about half of the ones that I didn't get was because it was answered before I even got to see it.

Timing and luck are probably just as important as quantity of titles you have watched and how good your visual memory is. I can't talk about luck, but I believe that timing is very closely linked to geography. In the original gigantic game thread, I recall reading on several posts how abunai was frustrated that Furudanuki posted the correct answer before him. Denmark is UTC +1 while America is UTC -5 to -10. This led me to think that just like iwatchtoomuchanime, who is under the disadvantage of being banned, all Europeans have a time zone handicap. It doesn't mean that they don't have a chance (abunai and iwatch make loads of points), it means that most likely they won't get any of the easy pictures.

People who live in Asia on the other hand supposedly don't suffer this problem. I assume that most people only access ANN before and after their daily duties like school and work. East Asia is about UTC +8 to +9 which kind of synchronizes peak/rush hours in both areas.

Interesting to think that it also matters if you live on the east or west coast of the US.

Zewerr wrote:
I have disgraced my family name!

ROFL. Poor Mechazawa Beta.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Timing and luck are probably just as important as quantity of titles you have watched and how good your visual memory is. I can't talk about luck, but I believe that timing is very closely linked to geography. In the original gigantic game thread, I recall reading on several posts how abunai was frustrated that Furudanuki posted the correct answer before him. Denmark is UTC +1 while America is UTC -5 to -10. This led me to think that just like iwatchtoomuchanime, who is under the disadvantage of being banned, all Europeans have a time zone handicap. It doesn't mean that they don't have a chance (abunai and iwatch make loads of points), it means that most likely they won't get any of the easy pictures.

People who live in Asia on the other hand supposedly don't suffer this problem. I assume that most people only access ANN before and after their daily duties like school and work. East Asia is about UTC +8 to +9 which kind of synchronizes peak/rush hours in both areas.

Your model is inaccurate.

The morning and afternoon/evening intervals are of unequal length. For each user, the morning interval is only ~1 hr, while the afternoon/evening (simplified to afternoon from here) interval is 3-7+ hrs, depending on the user's location, school/work conditions, and bed time. A user that is on the opposite side of the globe of the poster is not comparable to one that's in an adjacent or the same time zone. A picture posted in the afternoon interval obviously benefits the adjacent time zones the most, but a picture posted in the morning only benefit adjacent time zones that are later. Similarly, a morning picture benefits users on the opposite side of the globe, while an afternoon picture does not substantially, because the morning interval is too short compared to the afternoon interval.

The vast majority of the American English speaking population is located in UTC -4 to -8. UTC -4/5 (east coast U.S.) is approximately 12 hrs apart from coastal Asia and benefits it more than Europe. UTC -7/8 (west coast, a major population center) has the opposite effect. UTC -7/8 early morning is midnight for coastal Asia but afternoon in Europe. UTC -7/8 afternoon is early morning to noon for coastal Asia and midnight to early AM for Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 55 of 55