• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 14-20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
So, for the newly-licensed stuff like Tears to Tiana, will we see simultaneous DVD/BD releases too?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
yes Hayate's in the top 5

I hope the good DVD sales are going to make a season 3 happen
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That's a rather boring ranking.
I guess Blu-ray with cute female characters are selling like water in the desert over there. Other than a couple of really good anime currently being released, that's all there's anyway...

Tears to Tiara was kinda boring but it's getting better lately, depending on the last episode I'll end up buying the dvd when it comes.
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
So, for the newly-licensed stuff like Tears to Tiana, will we see simultaneous DVD/BD releases too?

I hope
Hopefully SXION23 will start doing Blu-Ray releases
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

I doubt it, Tears to Tiara is pretty niche. But who knows, it's a new company without an established track-record on this front. But assuming the new companies have the same position as ADV, then it's unlikely. Only major or more mainstream sellers warrant the high cost of BD.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
K-ON Beating Dragonball Kai.. is a nice thing to see..

And why do you guys not poat the Numbers for Blu-Ray?

K-ON = 27,393
Hayate = 2,050
Dragonball Kai = 1,155

The others are not worth mentioning

But yeah K-ON is Destroying EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
ADVNation wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

I doubt it, Tears to Tiara is pretty niche. But who knows, it's a new company without an established track-record on this front. But assuming the new companies have the same position as ADV, then it's unlikely. Only major or more mainstream sellers warrant the high cost of BD.

The cost of anime on Blu-ray in North America is surprisingly low though. I mean, the Escaflowne movie is selling for about $30, and Funimation is selling 26 episode series for around $50. If they started releasing anime on Blu-ray simultaneously, or not too long after a DVD release, I'd definitely start buying anime on Blu-ray.
The funny thing is, fans are already moaning about how they're going to get gouged for anime on Blu-ray here. However, if they researched just how much it costs in Japan, they might (might, we are talking about anime fans here) moan a bit less. I looked up one of the Cardcaptor Sakura sets - $800. And I'm not even sure that was for the entire series. For reference I tried looking up another series - Kanon was selling for $600.
No wonder the Japanese companies are worried about reverse-importing.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Nice to know Dragon Ball Kai is in the top 10 for that week. To me, the Dragonball series is the Numero Uno Best Anime Ever.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
ADVNation wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

The cost of anime on Blu-ray in North America is surprisingly low though. I mean, the Escaflowne movie is selling for about $30, and Funimation is selling 26 episode series for around $50. If they started releasing anime on Blu-ray simultaneously, or not too long after a DVD release, I'd definitely start buying anime on Blu-ray.
The funny thing is, fans are already moaning about how they're going to get gouged for anime on Blu-ray here. However, if they researched just how much it costs in Japan, they might (might, we are talking about anime fans here) moan a bit less. I looked up one of the Cardcaptor Sakura sets - $800. And I'm not even sure that was for the entire series. For reference I tried looking up another series - Kanon was selling for $600.
No wonder the Japanese companies are worried about reverse-importing.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean the cost for the consumer, I meant the production and specific/extra BD licensing costs for the publisher/distributor. Even for companies with in-house authoring facilities, it takes 2-3x more time than DVD, so Time = Money. All these factors and costs add up. It wouldn't make sense for them to release BD when there's little shelf space for them at B&M's/BestBuy/etc. and on a niche title.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
K-On! > Everything else. Really? I enjoyed that series, but sometimes I just can't help but step back and scratch my head at these statistics. I guess the Japanese consumer is just on a different plane than I am.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That's a rather boring ranking.
I guess Blu-ray with cute female characters are selling like water in the desert over there. Other than a couple of really good anime currently being released, that's all there's anyway...

Tears to Tiara was kinda boring but it's getting better lately, depending on the last episode I'll end up buying the dvd when it comes.

Hey man, you've gotta have your high definition moe blobs. The follow up to this article just proves the pattern though with I think one of the top 5 sellers not being a galfest in the form of Tales of The Abyss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1