• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sugar and Spice

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
D...Did you just call Horo a tsundere? To quote the great Inigo Montoya 'there will be blood tonight!' ...in the forum that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
*points up*

I spy a shitstorm a-brewing! Regardless, good column...I can't say I agree with your assessment of Spice and Wolf if only because I forgot about the economics side of things as the characters were the real strong suit of the series and didn't find it pandered to furries or fans of tsundere despite that cover's suggestiveness. I don't know if Holo is appealing as a tsundere so much as she's an unusual character that people are liable to pin the label "tsundere" on. I thought there was a lot more to her and certainly to Lawrence. He's not a mewling foil to the loudmouthed lady, that's for sure. Heck, Holo's not even a loudmouth. I thought it was a really well-done, unique series if only because of the characters. ...There is a lot of economics too, but if nothing else, it made the series stand out. I hate economics and any kind of fan-pandering trope show, too, so...eh.

Either way, good column...um...you may be getting some serious shit very soon, though, not gonna lie. If there's anything Spice and Wolf has in common with moe/fanbait shows, it's the rabid fanbase. Ugh. X_X
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
At least Horo isn't "SHUT UP STUPID DOG HURR DURR" like Rie Kugimiya characters. Then again, those really aren't tsunderes, just bitches. So I guess Horo is more like the true idea of a tsundere, one that actually has both sides, but she's never really a bitch, just aloof or stiff.

Above all, I'd say it's for the crowd that like show anime that don't do a lot and don't try to do a lot. Shows like Aria or Marimite fit the same bill. They might be crushingly horrible and depressingly boring, not to mention slow, for most people, but there's still a good deal of people who like them. But Wolf and Spice managed to do a bit more and get a bit more fandom because of Horo herself.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
nverhoog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
hey, I think Space and Wolf, sounds like a great idea for an anime
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll be reasonable. Is every tease in anime now a tsundere? Part of the reason I liked Holo so much, besides her cunning tactical sense and relative independence, is that she knew how to tease without falling into the tsundere trap. Or is it that we've seen so much tsundere in the last few years that every girl who's reserved in deciding her feelings is now instantly labeled as such?

I won't even start with the furry bit. That's the real can of worms you don't want to see opened.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Here let me sum up the next few pages preemptively

YOU IDIOT HOLO IS NOT TSUNDERE

YEAH SHE PRETTY MUCH IS

NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

YEAH I DO SHE PRETTY MUCH IS

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There now we don't need to go through all that again right? Right??
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm now more interested in Spice and Wolf because of the economy stuff.

What can I say, I'm a wiki nerd. I love looking up random information at a whim, and this actually peaked my interest. I'd been meaning to take a business course too. Now I know what to watch! Thanks!Very Happy

Joking aside, I'd been meaning to check this one up for awhile. Guess I can give this one a shot when I get the chance. Find a good price on it somewhere. The manga was pretty good anyway.

Here's a fun game: Let's see how fast we can get Zac to close the topic!

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The column will reap what it sows, Zac. Fortunately, tsundere is one of the lesser debates so it hopefully won't go on as long as other certain talkbacks.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Actually the Baroque Works gang is one of the few things I liked when I was still watching One Piece, but it is a bit difficult to keep track of them, considering they have number names and holiday names. And I liken the Alabasta arc to DBZ's Namek arc. It just goes on and on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Alec, I have 3 questions for you.

1) Where do you live?
2) When is your next vacation?
3) Do you have any dangerous animals or alarm systems? Smile

I think that is the most inasne collection I've seen in a long, long while.
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
And again, the writing of ANN becomes suspect and questionable on as to how they can cover subjects they know seemingly little about.

Really, just stop writing about Spice and Wolf if you can't bother to learn what a tsundere is, or for that matter a furry.

Little tip for any of your other hack writers that want to give it a shot: Neither one of those words describe Spice and Wolf. Going to call it a shonen action show next? Would make as much sense.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Who care about Holo/Spice and Wolf... One Piece should be on Every shelf.. I can't wait till FUNimation gets on the Thriller Bark Saga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danielmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ugh...................................

this gives me a headache
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see what was so boring about this show. All I heard before I watched it was how "boring" it was and how it was all just "discussion about economics" ... well, I'll admit I was pleasantly shocked when the show was romantic, exciting, and compelling. Holo spoiler[turns into a giant wolf and kills people! On more than one occasion!!] I mean, seriously ... was I watching the same show as everyone else? At the end of every episode I just wanted to watch more!

The economy/merchant stuff seemed very minor to me - except as a plot device for drama. And I thought it was really simple and interesting, and I *hate* math/economics. And Holo herself is just so charming I could watch her emotions and dialogue fluctuate for quite awhile without getting bored.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The column throws some cold water on the Spice & Wolf buzz I've been seeing here and there, but I'll still give a few episodes a shot and see what I think. The thoughts on the One Piece set are fair. The episodes where they first meet up with Ace are enjoyable, but all in all the episodes are not the stronger part of the Alabasta arc. The next two will be much more entertaining by way of comparison.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11