• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Earnings Down

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Guess this earnings report might be a good idea and time for 4Kids to, um, y'know, cater to the adult fans by going uncut and quit making dumb renames so that they rake in more moolah.

Nah!! Rolling Eyes
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
They'll have to change their name to 4Adults to do that.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
They'll have to change their name to 4Adults to do that.

Lol...they know it thereselves that if they showed some uncut anime on there the ratings would increase. I guess they just want it to be a station that all ages can watch but aimed more at the younger people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised their profit margins are so low, relatively-speaking. I guess Nintendo, Konami, and their other many, many partners get a bigger cut than I thought they did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm surprised their profit margins are so low, relatively-speaking. I guess Nintendo, Konami, and their other many, many partners get a bigger cut than I thought they did.

No kidding, I was really expecting them to be in the lower 10 millions at least. I guess I was right all along when I kept saying that they just don't have the buying power people think they do.

However, I'm not all that surprised by their losses either. It has nothing to do with demographics, they simply haven't had the same lucky titles that they have in the past. Yugioh and Pokemon keep coming down in popularity, it's the spring so they really didn't have anything happening right then anyway, and the Yugioh movie revenue wouldn't come into play for a few more months. I'm sure their 3ed quarter (the current quarter)will be strong as they'll have results from the Yugioh movie and their fall TV lineup just begining. 4th quarter should be strong as well as the uncut DVDs will be out, the Yugioh movie should be out on DVD, and the holiday buying season will be on.

That's my market annalyses anyway. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Guess this earnings report might be a good idea and time for 4Kids to, um, y'know, cater to the adult fans by going uncut and quit making dumb renames so that they rake in more moolah.

Nah!! Rolling Eyes

I can hope they will :b
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Awwwwwww. That's so sad. Rolling Eyes I'm sure Mew Mew Whatever will help their pockets get big and fat again.

You think overkill has a part to play in this?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
They probably got too many acquisitions. Or maybe One Piece took a chunk out of their profit margins.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

No kidding, I was really expecting them to be in the lower 10 millions at least. I guess I was right all along when I kept saying that they just don't have the buying power people think they do.

Well, their buying power wouldn't be reflected in those figures, since the money they spend on licensing more properties would be included in their "accounting costs". We're only seeing the profits here, not the total revenue.

EDIT: Oh, I was just going by ANN's write-up... I just checked the actual PDF file from 4Kids and their revenues are in the $20-25 million per quarter range, which is more or less what I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
4Kids should change their name to 4Anime or 4Otaku or something...

Seeing 4Kids is slowly losing interest in all of their kick ass american made shows over import japanese ones... most of them which are overated w/ plenty of franchise tie-in's as it is.

Last edited by Izlude on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They probably got too many acquisitions. Or maybe One Piece took a chunk out of their profit margins.

Or maybe they spent too much resources trying to get Naruto. Twisted Evil

Oh sh*t, better run.....*ducks the thrown items*
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Except that they license more than just anime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote
You know, I just thought of something. Just because the name 4kids is kiddy doesn't mean they might not make better dubs in the future and uncut. I mean the name Funimation sounds kiddy, and they still release uncut versions of shows like Yuyu Hakusho and Blue Gender.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Izlude wrote:

Except that they license more than just anime.

Emerje

They license just anime, but they actually produce some of their own stuff, and its actually alot better (IMO) than most of the anime they get, like TMNT, and stuff.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
you forget their whole demographic is 9 year old kids who can't afford dvds. they're not favored well in the rest of the anime community.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2