• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rony40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
{MOD EDIT: Don't just list. Give reasons. -- abunai}
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The Good.
1. Noein: To Your Other Self.
This anime always seemed to know where it was going. I think a lot of shows these days have the idea to keep going for as long as they can get money from their audience, but not Noein. The characters, themes, and plot were also spectacular.
2. Durarara!!
Most people would put Baccano! on the list first, but I liked Drrr!! a lot more. I really loved the multi-narator style, and the characters were really engaging.
3. Excel Saga.
Time for some silly, over the top comedy! I really love when a show can break the fourth wall without destroying my suspension of disbelief. The Menchi sequences were some of the funniest things I've ever seen.
4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
The robot children bugged me at first, but soon became my favorite part of this si-fi/80's cop drama.
5. Elfen Lied.
This was one of the very first animes I ever saw, and I'm surprised it didn't turn me off to the medium forever. It's also one of the first I ever took seriously. While in hindsight I realize that the characters are fairly flat, and the plot twists are pretty unimaginative; it held enough depth when I was younger to force me to give anime some rope. I'm glad I did.
6. Welcome to the N.H.K.
This show is about insane people, and that can either be a very good, or an incredibly bad thing. Very slice of life, but still a sort of comedy of the surreal. It can go from sad to melancholy to outrageously funny in the space of 15 minutes, without seeming ridiculous.
7. Tokyo Godfathers/Tekkonkinkreet.
I'm not quite sure why I paired these up (as far as I can tell, they weren't made by the same studio or anything, but I didn't look too hard; someone more knowlegeable can correct me if I'm wrong=D), but I think it has something to do with the fact that I watched one right after the other, and that they involve (mostly) normal people just trying to protect something-a situation I find easy to relate to.
8. Paprika.
This movie looks amazing, sounds amazing, and was able to keep me entertained for an hour and a half. That is a feet in itself.
9. Serial Experiments Lain.
Slow, but methodical; dark, creepy, and disturbing-but imaginatively uplifting, if only at the end. Doninie Darko meets "The internet is serious business.
10. Gurren Lagann.
I usually don't like mech anime, but this one is special. The action is crazy and unforgiving, the characters are memorably whacky, and the soundtrack was bangin'.

The Bad.
1. Naruto.
I feel kind of like by ripping on Naruto, I'm jumping on some kind of band wagon. But seriously, ninjas don't wear bright orange jump suits. Also, this show took everything I hated about Bleach; but instead of tacking it on to episode twenty of a decent anime, it built an entire franchise off of it. Utterly stupid.
2. Bleach.
This show was actually okay for the first twenty episodes or so, but after the soul society got involved, everything went straight to hell. Grinding is mildly anoying in video games, but when you put it on tv, it becomes infuriating.
3. Dragon Ball Z.
Gurran Lagann worked because everything in it was so outlandish and whacky. We knew we weren't being fooled because the strangeness was right in your face. Dragon Ball Z tries to convince you that things like power levels and hero resurrection make sense.
4. Inuyasha.
Dragon Ball Z for girls.
5. Clanad, Kannon, Cannon; basically anything that can be described as Crying Game: The Anime.
These games use cheap, reused emotions to trick sad, pathetic dateless losers into feeling loved. Then they rip that feeling away in a way that's equally callous, cliche, and reminds me all to much of Nicholas Spark's "Novels."

Last edited by wanderlustking on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
rho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
A few best:

-Soul Eater. This is just plain amazing. Great plot, voice acting, and characters.

-Cowboy Bebop. Come on, who doesn't like this?

-Ghost in the Shell. Really deep plot. Looking to watch it completely soon.

-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've watched the first season and pretty much enjoyed it aside from Mikuru. I'm excited to see the second season when the dub is released.

Only got a couple worst..

-Lucky Star. Obnoxious characters, no plot, and the characters are 17-18 year olds that must have the same disease Justin Bieber has. Hell, he'd fit in perfectly in the Lucky Star universe.

-Inuyasha. I've just been unable to watch this without being bored out of my mind.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Its been quite some time since I updated my top 10, so here it goes

1.Neon Genesis Evangelion- It was the first anime I watched(and what got me hooked in general). The psychological aspects of the show are so relate-able to what people can go through in real life and there's also a considerable amount of philosophical themes that are quite interesting as well. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it(but the number is extremely high).

2. Gankutsuou-Count of Monte Cristo- If I had not seen Eva at all(or not seen it first), Gankutsuou would probably be in my number 1 spot. Despite being an adaption, the story, music and characters are handled so well that I'm tempted to say that it could be even better than Duma's novel. I really liked how it did not embrace many of the story-telling cliches used in anime and is presented in a way that makes it an extremely mature told story.

3.Rurouni Kenshin-Tsuioku Hen- Despite being extremely violent, the back-story of Kenshin and how he got his scar was extremely well done and the ending was handled in a way that it was both tragic and somewhat uplifting(as he strayed away from his brutal lifestyle after bringing about a new era).

4. Gungrave- This is the best example of how a tv/movie video game adaption should be done. Despite having a somewhat slow pace, it uses this to help flesh out every character considerably making every character seem surprisingly real and sympathetic. I also like how it deals with themes such as friendship, honor and duty without becoming to cheesy.

5. RahXephon- Although it has many similarities to Eva that tends to bug me quite a bit, the central story to how the relationship of the two main characters was torn apart and reunited was handled very well and made quite a good twist when things were revealed later on. The last episode is also quite possibly one of the best endings I've ever seen.

6. 5 Centimeters Per Second- The theme of separation through time and distance is portrayed in a completely realistic way that almost anyone who watches it can relate to it. The art is also gorgeous, as it immerses you in dreamlike landscapes which all fit the moods of loneliness and separation.

7. Escaflowne- Epic mecha fights, one of the best soundtracks ever done for an anime along with great characters (especially Dilandau) gives Escaflowne a very epic feel that most shows strive to achieve, but don't fulfill.

8. Baccano!- despite the confusing start, the over-the-top mafia violence and insanely awesome characters makes this show one of the most entertaining anime I've seen in a while.

9. Lupin III-Castle of Cagliostro - the first Lupin III work I've seen and the best one overall. Despite having a somewhat generic plot, the execution of it was brillant and the Clock Tower fight scene was truly something.

10. Gundam X- It doesn't follow the cliches set by the other Gundam series with the angsty lead characters and sometimes interesting political themes. It focuses on the characters instead and develops the relationship between the 2 main characters very well. The only downturn is the somewhat rushed ending, but it is an very underappreciated show in general.

Ones that were almost on this list but not quite:
-Big O
-Cowboy Bebop
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Darker than Black
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Here are my top 10 anime. Not really in any particular order since I consider all of these top notch and the best I’ve seen.

[b]Black Lagoon (Both Seasons):
This is action at its best. I love the enire story, how it’s told, and all of the characters. They develop them so well, and no matter how harsh some of them are, they somehow earn a place in your heart. Even Rock, the straight laced business man, does not stay being a complete wimp the whole time. He grows and toughens up and finds his own niche in their group. He may not go around killing everyone, but he his quick thinking and negotiation ability gets the group through more than one tight spot. I am very excited about the new episodes that are coming out soon.

Fate/Stay Night: I know a lot of people are probably going to groan and roll their eyes about this one, but I enjoyed it VERY much. It was the perfect combination of fantasy, action, and romance. I found the story to be solid and it kept me on my toes, waiting anxiously to watch the next episode.

Nana: What is not to like about this anime? I never thought I would be a fan of a ‘slicce of life/drama’ but I got sucked into this series from the first episode. I loved the unique animation and character design. Each situation the girls get in, you feel like you’re right there with them. Pulling for them, cursing them… The story just gets you INVOLVED.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: I said that I can’t really put my top 10 in any order, but I have to say that Utena stands high at the top of my list. This is a unique story that is very deep and emotional. Utena is extremely likeable. You can’t help but pull for her and hope she wins each dual. The relationships between all the characters are complex and I think it’s worth giving the series at least a second watch to really absorb everything that is going on.

Sailor Moon: The anime that got me into anime. It’s funny, cute, lighthearted… but can also get serious when it needs to be. Usagi can be so annoying, but when it comes down to it she is a strong girl who only wishes for the best for all her friends and will do anything in the world for them.

Samurai Champloo: When I first started watching this I was baffled. Lets face it… IT’S ODD! LOL. But get through the first few episodes and you’re hooked. It’s funny, the action scenes are great, the story line is awesome. The ending was also very satisfying. The dynamics between the characters are also great.

Skip Beat!: Heart warming, funny, great characters, great plot. Kyoko is totally trampled on by her childhood sweetheart, and she sets out to get revenge by becoming more popular in showbusiness then he is. She works incredibly hard at everything she does, and it turns out she’s got quite the talent for acting. I think this is those “girly” animes that even men would appreciate and enjoy.

Wolfs Rain: You feel so connected to all of the wolves as they begin their journey to paradise. Each individual of the pack have such different personalities. Some even clash, but during their journey they create a bond with each other that warms your heart.

Ouran High School Host Club: if you have watched other anime romantic comedies, you’ll really appreciate Ouran. They poke fun of themselves as they fall into all the generic categories. The lead character Haruhi is sweet and a great addition to the all boys “host club”. I have never laughed so much at any other anime series. The characters take hold of your heart and make you feel warm and fluffy inside.

Death Note: It seems people either love or hate this show. I loved it because of how emotionally involved I became with the plot. Id find myself many times clenching my fists, or sitting on the edge of my seat. The script was genius. The intelligence of the writing and characters absolutely blew me away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
otaku-1985

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
best- not in order

cowboy bebop

neon genesis evangelion

flcl

the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

akira

the girl who jump through time

samuri champloo

full metal alchemist

laputa castle in the sky

tekkonkinkreet

worst- '' ''

s.i.n

tokyo underground
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
FYI, we generally don't allow listing. Please provide at least minimal information about why you like each series on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Inuyasha.
Dragon Ball Z for girls.
5. Clanad, Kannon, Cannon; basically anything that can be described as Crying Game: The Anime.
These games use cheap, reused emotions to trick sad, pathetic dateless losers into feeling loved. Then they rip that feeling away in a way that's equally callous, cliche, and reminds me all to much of Nicholas Spark's "Novels."
Right, because cheap re-used emotions are sooo much worse than cheap re-used VGCats and Mike Toole talking points. Although, since you seem to understand exactly how "sad, pathetic, dateless losers" feel upon watching those shows, can I take it you count yourself within that category?
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to start off by reminding everyone this is my own personal opinion and you are free to like or dislike any of these series as my opinion holds no control over your own free will.

Top Ten Best Anime:

1) Baccano! - I adore this series! I loved nearly every single character and I thought the story and how it was told was fantastic! It's one series that I have yet to grow tired of no matter how many times I watch it, though it did take me about two episode to really get into it and used to the time switches.

2) Natsume Yuujinchou - I have a pretty big soft spot for this series. I felt I could relate to the main character to some degree as I myself had trouble 'fitting in' during high school, but for different reasons. This series may not be as action packed as Baccano!, but it definitely had it's own charm.

3) 5 Centimeters Per Second - This has to be one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. Not only are the artwork and animation both amazing, but the story and characters themselves are just so touching and real feeling. I wish I had enough money to buy the English dubbed release.

4) Axis Powers Hetalia - I find this series to be funny (though sometimes bordering offensive) and somewhat educational.

5) Durarara! - I liked the characters in this and how everything slowly unraveled and come together. It was a fun watch - especially scenes with Shizuo and Izaya fights.

6) The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok - I thought this series was cute (though I wish it followed the manga a bit more). I'm also a huge fan of Norse Mythology and thought the way it was used in this series to be interesting and entertaining. I wish that there was a second series to continue where the first left off.

7) Sister Princess - This series is probably one most people wouldn't expect to see in a list for the top ten best, but I really did enjoy this show. I like each of the sisters different personalities and I liked how Wataru had to come to terms with his new family other than just accepting them fully right off the bat.

8) Romeo X Juliet - I'm a huge fan of the play, but I still feel that even if you hated the play you should still give this series a shot because there are some major differences between the two. I like how they put their own twist on a classic love tale.

9) Legend of the Legendary Heroes - Okay, I know this series has yet to be completed and still has the capability to become a least favorite, but as of right now I'm really enjoying it. I enjoy watching Ryner's and Ferris' antics and I feel I've become invested enough in the characters to care what happens to them.

10) Over Drive - Yes, an anime about bicycle racing has made it on to my top ten. When starting this series I did not expect to like it as much as I did as I'm really not to interested in cycling or any other type of sport (though I have been surprised before by other series such as Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, and Okiku Furikabutte). I found myself really cheering for the main character and I was sad when the series ended spoiler[with only the first real major race (which the main guy didn't win) and that it never really showed them racing in France which was a huge dream of nearly all the characters.]

Top Five Worst Anime (though the only one I REALLY hate is number one):

1) Blue Gender - I don't even really remember why I hated this series so much as it's been awhile since I watched it and I tried to completely erase it from my memory, which I think I did a decent job of, but I remember feeling an agonizing pain (okay, so this is a bit over the top) from watching just a few episodes.

2) Boku wa Imoto ni Koi o Suru (I Love My Younger Sister) - I felt this one was kind of shallow and perhaps if it was developed more it wouldn't have been so bad.

3) Rumbling Hearts - I didn't feel anything type of emotions for any of the characters, in other words I thought this series was rather flat.

4) Neon Genesis Evangelion - When I watched this a found it to be rather...dull. I also couldn't seem to connect with any of the characters on any type of level. I am willing to give it another chance at some point because, in all honesty, when I first watched it I believe was in my last year of elementary or first year of middle school.

5) Death Note - The only characters I really liked in this series was Light and I guess, to some extent Matt. I found myself weighed down by the dialogue and the story just didn't quite spark my interest.

P.S. - This list is likely to change in, let's say, five minutes.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
The best (which is the harder part)- Ill limit myself to 5, otherwise I could go on for ages.

1) FMA + FMA Brotherhood: Unlike a lot of people, I dont see a huge gap between the two- I have a spoft spot for the first series, and even now after watching Brotherhood I still find it very good. Both have great characters, great music, great mood, and while the plots are different, I really like the ways both turn out.

2) Gungrave - When I first read the plot I wasnt too fond of it, I tried it because someone was heavily recommending it to me, and it turned out one of the best series I have seen so far. I really liked the interactions between Brandon and Harry.

3) Texhnolyze - I'd say that this is the best post-apocaliptic series I have seen, although the first few episodes are so confusing. I think what I appreciate the most out of it are the characters and the dialogues- raw, short, real,

4) Now and then, here and there- Sometimes drastic content contrasting with the animation, I must say I cry my eyes out every time I am watching the last episode. Deep, poignant, surprisingly mature, with really fantastic characters.

5) Mononoke (tv) - the show might have given me the weirdest dream ever. I think what drew me to it was the character design and Kusuriuri- a great main mysterious lead, and the plot- creepy, but occasionally throwing in a little joke.

Worst 5:

1) Onegai teacher- an anime that made me think that I should introduce selection criteria as for what I rent/buy. An absolute waste of time.

2) Interlude- the idea was there, and it would have made a brillian series if it has not been done so very badly.

3) Xenosaga- a misture of bland characters I did not care for.

4) Noir- i dont know, it seemed quite pretencious, and i never really got into the plot.

5) Vampire Princess Miyu - There was one episode that I found brilliant in the first half, and it got a bit more interesting towards the very end, but the series left me cold aout it as a whole.

And a special award goes to Code Geass R2: I loved the first season, the second was overblown, exaggerated, and simply bad.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
My top ten best are the following:

FullMetal Alchemist/Brotherhood - Fresh story, great plot, and overall great in both manga and anime version. I was very satisfied with the ending and look forward to more works done by Arakawa.

Detective Conan - Ya, it can be a little repetitive and the series is realllly long, but I love the clever way of how a culprit would execute their murder. It makes its enjoyable to watch, especially the movies. I'm also a Sherlock Holmes/Detective nut so maybe my opinion is a bit bias. ^^;

Code Geass - It was brilliant. The story was enjoyable and the character development was great. I could not stop watching it and was sad when it ended. I am thinking about reading the manga as I heard there are a lot of different things that happen.

Soul Eater - I love it. Love the story, the setting, the characters, and everything else. Halloween is my favorite holiday (if its even considered one?) and this is just perfect to watch during the month of October.

Hetalia - I admit, I hated this show at first as I thought it wasn't funny and that it was all over the place for story wise. I then realized, after watching more, that it was intended to be like that and the episodes eventually got to be super funny ("VODKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" Anime hyper ).

Trigun The mother of all anime. Vash is my favorite anime character and I loved the way the story was done. It was also very hilarious. I fangasmed when I found out about a movie being made. I cannot wait to see it.

Hellsing Ultimate I loathed the TV series. It was plain, the artwork was awful, and the "ending" was poorly done. But when I saw the OVA's, my love for Hellsing grew tremendously. The art is gorgeous, the story follows the manga, and it is so bad ass.

Bleach I normally hate mainstream series like Naruto and One Piece, but this series is an exception. I love the characters, the story, and the fact that a single fight scene doesn't take 20 episodes to finish.

Death Note Although the Live Action movies were terrible, the TV series itself was amazing. Great story, great characters, and gorgeous art. It sucks you in and doesn't let go until you watch every single episode.

Inuyasha This is also an exception to the mainstream anime line. Like Bleach, the fight scenes don't drag. It is funny, has lovable characters, and a love story. Plus the ending was very satisfactory.

And now for the bad ones:

Naruto - I know alot of people love this show but, personally, it is like a Ninja version of Dragon Ball Z. Naruto is Goku (clumsy, stupid at times, and eats alot) and Sasuke is Vegeta (calm, cool, heartless at times, almost the same kind of hair, and always rivals against Naruto). And I hate that the fights go on and on and on or when it takes people 2 episodes to explain one of their special attacks. Who in the real world would tell their enemy their entire background story on their special attack? You would go for the kill and be done with it. I gave up after episode 80 as it was just the same thing.

Beyblade - They fight each other with spinning discs that suddenly sprout legendary monsters....ya.....I couldn't take the show seriously as it was almost like a Pokemon rip off. Uninteresting, same old "Lets Beyblade!" nonsense, and not the greatest of anime involving a game/sport.

Noir - I had a really hard time watching this. I was so bored and kept wanting the episode to end so I could watch the next one and hope it would get better. I had to stop at episode 18 as I couldn't take being bored to death. The story dragged and I'm not a huge fan of the characters or how they were developed.

Puni Puni Poemi I loathe this show, period. Its unfunny, stupid, and a waste of valuable anime watching time. Its exactly like Excel Saga except the characters are chibi.

One Piece I read some of the manga, watched some of the series, and unfortunately watched some of the 4Kids version. This show is also repetitive and looks as though it won't ever end. Plus I hate the artwork/character designs and don't find any of the funny parts funny. I gave it a chance and it has disappointed me miserably.

And there you have it!

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
4. Inuyasha.
Dragon Ball Z for girls.
Right, because cheap re-used emotions are sooo much worse than cheap re-used VGCats and Mike Toole talking points. Although, since you seem to understand exactly how "sad, pathetic, dateless losers" feel upon watching those shows, can I take it you count yourself within that category?

its his opinion man, respect it.

Best:
1- NGE- All the reasons everyone else already wrote.
2- Cowboy bebop- Same
3- Saber Marionette J- A harem that does not suck and it actually leaves you thinking. You need to be under the age of 12 to like this anime tho.
4- Akira- for DUH UH reasons.
5- Martian Successor Nadesico: Best anime parody I've ever seen
6- Mushishi- So deep you'll drown
7- Those who hunts elves- So shallow you'll die.
8- Wolf's Rain- An impossible journey in a post apocaliptic world, what's not to love?
9- Ergo Proxy- Read above. Oh and that chick that looks like the girl from Evanescence.
10- Boogiebop Phantom- Intriguing. Dark. and full of social commentaries.

WORST:

1- Naruto- Milk it plox
2- Star Ocean - the action scenes were photos with audio
3- Clannad and Kanon: what wanderlustking said. A show for losers.
4 and 5: anything with lolis or cute things in them.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

its his opinion man, respect it.

You are free to have any opinion but that does not mean your opinion is respectable.

Quote:
3- Clannad and Kanon: what wanderlustking said. A show for losers.

Then again insulting people because they like a certain anime is not an opinion anyway.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
4 and 5: anything with lolis or cute things in them.

Your top 1 has two of the first and most famous moe characters of all time. I agree that NGE is a great anime, but it definitely contains cuteness.
As for Ergo Proxy, I'd argue that the female lead is part of the moe tree (tsundere). I'd also call the female lead of Wolf's Rain moe, or at least that's what it seemed to me.
Not that I think it's bad. On the contrary. Not all moe characters are shallow; that's just a common misbelief.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Your top 1 has two of the first and most famous moe characters of all time. I agree that NGE is a great anime, but it definitely contains cuteness.

You think that Asuka and Rei are Moe?

Wow. I knew the term wasn't being used correctly, but that is just out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 94 of 122