• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Manga Launch on U.S. Kindle, iPhone, Nokia Ovi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to get some manga on my kindle, but not BL titles.

Hell if viz put naurto or the like on the Kindle it would be great and save me a ton of shelf space.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
after the iPad improves in further generations, i can already tell that's going to be my e-manga reader of choice.

large, light screen.

beam me up, Mr. Jobs.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the Kindle app for Windows have 90 degree rotation or panel by panel "nextpage" for manga?

Without one or the other, it seems likely to be a real PITA on a netbook.
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
So many opportunities, but no-one did make use of them. And now Crunchyroll is doing it. But how? Hiring ex-scanlators and translators while negotiating with the Japanese publishers or even directly to the mangakas? I guess skipping the publishers will make the mangas online more affordable for everyone (I hope).
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Does anyone know if the Kindle app for Windows have 90 degree rotation or panel by panel "nextpage" for manga?

Without one or the other, it seems likely to be a real PITA on a netbook.

I can't say whether the Kindle app for Windows has a 90 degree rotation. (My desktop monitor doesn't rotate. LOL) But I can say the Kindle app doesn't offer a panel by panel viewing option. Or I should say that the Comicloud manga doesn't offer such an option. Other manga might have the option, I don't know.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
So many opportunities, but no-one did make use of them. And now Crunchyroll is doing it. But how? Hiring ex-scanlators and translators while negotiating with the Japanese publishers or even directly to the mangakas? I guess skipping the publishers will make the mangas online more affordable for everyone (I hope).

According to the interview, Crunchyroll has no plans to license manga for distribution here—they are only providing a service/platform that other publishers can make use of, on that publisher's own website or wherever. There was something in there about offering translation service to publishers (with Crunchyroll's freelance translators I guess), but that's it. So no talk of "skipping the publishers" here.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
TC-man wrote:
... And now Crunchyroll is doing it. But how? ...

According to the interview, Crunchyroll has no plans to license manga for distribution here—they are only providing a service/platform that other publishers can make use of, on that publisher's own website or wherever.

That's the way I heard it too, on the recent(ish) ANNCast. Very computer-engineering oriented.

And good for them. Hope it works out well.
suzyk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Kind of upset it took them this long, though. I hope they'll have some popular series up there soon. I initially thought that Crunchyroll would distribute manga. Too bad. In any case, I hope many publishers will put the platform to use.

Time to get my dad's Kindle out. And iPod Touch. Cool

Last edited by suzyk on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that companies are taking the next steps forward, come on guys, you can do this!
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Some stinking cell phone gets Appleseed, and Kindle owners get more yaoi.

Something is very wrong here. Mad
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
If this is on the Kindle then I will seriously consider buying one. If it launches with Naruto and Bleach then I'll buy one tomorrow.
gorbal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
I think the lead character in "Akward silence" is autistic. It is such a sweet love story, with quite a bit of depth; but why the unecessary sex scenes?
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
This news is great, and I hope that crunchyroll starts it soon, I really want to know what's happening over there. I want to know in a legit manner too. Shocked

Until then, I hope I don't see any avatars or sigs that might spoil the story for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1