• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hunter × Hunter Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I have to say, this is a pretty fair and accurate review. its true its no FMA brotherhood but at the same time, its good to the point where its worth the watch and rewatching the events are acctually fun. Even though I know what'll happen, I can't wait for each week to see how these adventures are going to be played out. I only hope that when Yorkshin comes, they shift the mood as nessesary, less adventury and more dreary... but then again, one thing I have to say is that the music isn't the biggest plus factor in the world so we'll have to see. (not that I liked what I heard from the last version either, it mostly put me to sleep, at least this one keeps me up) I agree half way on the op and ed, Op one didn't hit me at first but over time it grew to be a nice theme, especially the full version, and the ending can be pretty addictive, although I wonder if even the japanese knew what those people were screaming at first? Anime hyper

Well can't wait til heavens arena!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
I prefer the new series mainly because it removes all the filler and has much better asthetics. I tried to watch the older series alongside this one as it was starting, and the old series just dragged on and on. I don't care about Gon playing with animals or some city filler thing at the beginning. This one is much more rapid pace while staying enjoyable. Plus the video quality and coloring is far better than the original (which looked like some 80s anime even though it was only 2000)
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy about the new series as a faster paced more modern alternative to the original series which is very SLOW, and less aesthetically pleasing. People should keep in mind the 1999 anime does clean up its act, most people agree its first 19-21 episodes are kinda slow and just not spectacular. Comparatively the first 13 of the new series do the first 17 episodes of 1999 much beter. Still as we've gone further I have to lean towards the original series for the later mood, music, and pacing once it gets going around episode 21.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I prefer the new series mainly because it removes all the filler and has much better asthetics. I tried to watch the older series alongside this one as it was starting, and the old series just dragged on and on. I don't care about Gon playing with animals or some city filler thing at the beginning. This one is much more rapid pace while staying enjoyable.

All that filler is good, though. That's one of the original adaptation's strength's; it deals with the problem of the limited amount of material a weekly manga series gives it to adapt with original material as usual but it spread it out evenly instead of dumping it down in lumps and it's actually decent stuff.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I am very grateful for this reboot. I had always meant to watch the original series, but every time I tried other things would interfere. The pace of the first series was a problem fro me too. I just couldn't find the time to slog through all those episodes.

Now I look forward to every Saturday. The pace is, for me, a welcome change from the first series. The animation is pretty nice too. There is a scene in one of the trick tower episodes involving a fight featuring Hisoka that I actually re-watched a few times. Very nicely done.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to say that I am very grateful for this reboot. I had always meant to watch the original series, but every time I tried other things would interfere. The pace of the first series was a problem fro me too. I just couldn't find the time to slog through all those episodes.

The new series isn't going to be shorter though. Watching 1 episode a week is the same 26 minutes regardless of the version.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
My main concern with the new series is how it omitted Kaito and (more importantly) made Mito seem bitter about Gon's dad leaving. Mito doesn't get much screen time in the series, but she's an important character overall, and this reboot completely botched her character.

These first 13 episodes weren't all that good in my opinion. They added some stupid stuff that doesn't make any sense (why would Killua fall for such an easy trap during the first test for instance). It's not a terrible adaptation though, just inferior to the original series. Here's hoping that it gets better as it goes along, and that we'll actually see content that hasn't been animated before.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

The new series isn't going to be shorter though. Watching 1 episode a week is the same 26 minutes regardless of the version.

I thought they were going through the material faster with less filler episodes. No? Confused
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My main concern with the new series is how it omitted Kaito and (more importantly) made Mito seem bitter about Gon's dad leaving. Mito doesn't get much screen time in the series, but she's an important character overall, and this reboot completely botched her character.

These first 13 episodes weren't all that good in my opinion. They added some stupid stuff that doesn't make any sense (why would Killua fall for such an easy trap during the first test for instance). It's not a terrible adaptation though, just inferior to the original series. Here's hoping that it gets better as it goes along, and that we'll actually see content that hasn't been animated before.

As a guy who followed the manga from when Toriyama's World was in the middle of the Hunter exam, I think it might be best to gloss over Kaito since his simply not an important character. Togarashi misused him completely.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Your argument was not that of how fast the material goes. You said the number of episodes is a slog. If this adaptation stays on course there's going to be more episodes than in the original. The Chimera Ant Arc alone is going to be a monster number of episodes to animate.

As far as filler goes, this is not the type of filler found in Bleach or Naruto. The filler is short, blends in well, and is pretty damn good stuff, imo. Of course filler only really matters if someone has read the manga and is strictly against anime only content being used in adaptations. That would make me wonder why that kind of person watches anime adaptations in the first place as every adaptation makes those sort of adjustments for a variety of reasons.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
I like the ending theme all right, but the opening sucks. It just sounds like a stereotypical shonen anime theme. Originality, people!

Also, I love HunterxHunter, but I don't like how there aren't any female leads. There was one female character, Ponzu, but spoiler[she got eaten by killer ants, apparently. Great, kill off the one female character you have!] Even if it's not a lead, a secondary female who is actually likeable!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Your argument was not that of how fast the material goes. You said the number of episodes is a slog. If this adaptation stays on course there's going to be more episodes than in the original. The Chimera Ant Arc alone is going to be a monster number of episodes to animate.

As far as filler goes, this is not the type of filler found in Bleach or Naruto. The filler is short, blends in well, and is pretty damn good stuff, imo. Of course filler only really matters if someone has read the manga and is strictly against anime only content being used in adaptations. That would make me wonder why that kind of person watches anime adaptations in the first place as every adaptation makes those sort of adjustments for a variety of reasons.

Well, I drop a lot of shows for many reasons. Dropped Bleach a long time ago for just the reasons you list above.

For now, I'm enjoying Hunter X Hunter. I can't predict what I'll be doing in the future. It depends on how they handle it, I guess,
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I like the ending theme all right, but the opening sucks. It just sounds like a stereotypical shonen anime theme. Originality, people!

Also, I love HunterxHunter, but I don't like how there aren't any female leads. There was one female character, Ponzu, but spoiler[she got eaten by killer ants, apparently. Great, kill off the one female character you have!] Even if it's not a lead, a secondary female who is actually likeable!

I've been having that issue. I only read about 100 chapters of the manga spoiler[but I can't remember there being any significant female secondary characters, besides a few villains. ]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

I've been having that issue. I only read about 100 chapters of the manga spoiler[but I can't remember there being any significant female secondary characters, besides a few villains. ]

The only one is Biscuit (who appears in the Greed arc), pretty much all the rest are villains (and not a lot of them either).
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
I'm saddened that everyone has forgotten Senritsu (Melody) the Bald girl with good hearing from the Yorknew city arc. She was the major supporting character after Gon to help Kurapika vs the Phantom Troupe and stands out as much as Biscuit for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3