• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon Wins 5th Manga Taisho Award

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Hey Viz, can you hear me? Please license this!!

Other than that, congrats to Arakawa-sensei Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
They adapted the sitcom from the 80's? Wha....?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
I love FMA dearly and i usually enjoy slice of life but Silver Spoon was incredibly boring. Don't tell me it actually got interesting after i dropped it at around chapter 15?

Well, maybe it's exciting for city kids who realize for the first time that you actually gotta kill animals in order to eat them... Rolling Eyes
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Silver Spoon is an amazing coming of age manga. I'm sure most FMA fans will absolutely abhor it, but I doubt Arakawa cares.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
To each is own.

I applaud Arakawa for all her success. And as a fan of Harvest Moon games, I find her Silver Spoon to be fun, light hearted and educational. Almost makes you wanna take up farming.
Kuromamushi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I love FMA dearly and i usually enjoy slice of life but Silver Spoon was incredibly boring. Don't tell me it actually got interesting after i dropped it at around chapter 15?

Well, maybe it's exciting for city kids who realize for the first time that you actually gotta kill animals in order to eat them... Rolling Eyes

Silver Spoon isn't "exciting". That doesn't mean it's not good, however. It's published in Shonen Sunday, so not only is it's target audience more mature but it's also subtle and gentle-paced, slowly but surely building the story and developing the characters.

In my opinion, Arakawa's aimed even higher than she did with FMA and she's succeeded. Silver Spoon is slice of life at it's finest!
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
I enjoy it because it is the opposite of what usually happens in these kind of manga, instead of it being the country bumpkin who went to the city, this time it is the city boy who is out to explore the country side and finding out how different it is from what he had imagined.

Let's face, the ones who know how hard being a farmer is are few, and I find the information given in this manga very interesting, but maybe those are just my country roots talking Very Happy
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not totally in love with the series myself but it's a pretty good slice of life series and Arakawa's writing skills certainly haven't gone away even though FMA is over.

I do kinda wonder how long it'll run though. Based on the way each of the arcs is structured into seasons it doesn;t seem like it would run for more than a couple of years at best...of course as long as it's pulled off well it doesn't really matter.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Kuromamushi wrote:

Silver Spoon isn't "exciting". That doesn't mean it's not good, however. It's published in Shonen Sunday, so not only is it's target audience more mature but it's also subtle and gentle-paced, slowly but surely building the story and developing the characters

Well, maybe i'm blind but story and character development was exactly what i missed. I've got no problem with "subtle", or "gentle-paced" or even "not exciting" but the characters and the story just didn't captivate me at all.

But yes, as someone else noted, to each their own. So i'll be looking forward to Arakawa's next series and hope it will be more to my liking.
hamsterfactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
So glad Silver Spoon won this too! Arakawa's also posted a thank you note at the Sunday website, including a new illustration. And I don't think it was mentioned at this site, but the series also won the Best Manga prize at the 3rd Booklog Awards last week.

Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite manga and I'm loving Silver Spoon more every week - it's exactly the kind of series I was hoping for Arakawa to write after FMA. It's just been licensed in Spain, with the first volume coming out this spring, so perhaps other countries will follow!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Hiromu Arakawa get a big prize like this, Shonen Sunday needed a hit like this, and the sales will only improve once they began making an anime for it (and they will once it reaches the point where they have enough material to make it.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
If it's been licensed in Spain, it should be in Italy too, soon! I can't wait! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1