• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 2012 (First Half)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zopyros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
Impressive as always for One Piece.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
Has Glass Mask been running non stop since the 70s? Or was there a break of several years before resuming again? Or do chapters come out very sporadically? How is it only up to 48 volumes, is my question.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Railgun 7 sold 360k copies? Wow, never noticed that. Really impressive for a side story.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist and Bleach!
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Has Glass Mask been running non stop since the 70s? Or was there a break of several years before resuming again? Or do chapters come out very sporadically? How is it only up to 48 volumes, is my question.

It ran from 1976 to 1998 and then took a break until 2008. (and I think there's a little more mess to it than that, with a big chunk of the earlier run not being collected in the books, and a volume in 2004 that was never serialized...) Anyway, it's running regularly now in a monthly magazine.

Shoujo manga series don't hit the same kind of high numbers as shounen (possibly because most shoujo magazines are monthly, with a few twice-a-monthly). I think Patalliro! (1979-present) is the highest-numbering shoujo at 88 volumes (plus enough spinoff series to push it over 100). Ouke no Monshou began the same year as Glass Mask and didn't take any significant breaks that I know of (until this year, maybe?) but stuck to a 1-2 book/year schedule and has 56 volumes.

More info than you ever asked for, sorry. I find this stuff interesting... ^^;
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

It ran from 1976 to 1998 and then took a break until 2008. (and I think there's a little more mess to it than that, with a big chunk of the earlier run not being collected in the books, and a volume in 2004 that was never serialized...) Anyway, it's running regularly now in a monthly magazine.

Shoujo manga series don't hit the same kind of high numbers as shounen (possibly because most shoujo magazines are monthly, with a few twice-a-monthly). I think Patalliro! (1979-present) is the highest-numbering shoujo at 88 volumes (plus enough spinoff series to push it over 100). Ouke no Monshou began the same year as Glass Mask and didn't take any significant breaks that I know of (until this year, maybe?) but stuck to a 1-2 book/year schedule and has 56 volumes.

More info than you ever asked for, sorry. I find this stuff interesting... ^^;

Haha, that's actually the right amount of info I was seeking. Thanks for that.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Good for Naruto, staying strong and keeping on!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1