• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manhiem

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether we're watching the same anime. I find this quite boring. I was five episodes in and no one had discovered anything yet. All it was was Yuuko flirting with Niiya. Did they have a big change in episode 6?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is fascinating, and while it won't keep you up nights, it most certainly will keep you interested in learning the truth.

One thing that troubles me is that the manga is still on-going.While I like the series, I'm afraid that the "mystery" will be dragged on and on and on and the show will eventually lose steam.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(why do so many Japanese schools have abandoned wings/buildings?)

Many old wooden schools were built during the Meiji or Taisho eras and as progress and expansion came, many were abandoned as newer school buildings went up. As far as anime conventions go, they tend to be used for extracurricular activities, but it would be safer to just tear them down. What's more interesting is when you look at school design in anime over the course of 30 years now, not much has changed. The school and building in Urusei Yatsura look much the same as any randomly chosen highschool set anime today. Either this is unique to anime, or Japan really doesn't have a wide range of unique architecture in public schooling, which is something you find in real life, at least where I am.

I like that you touched on Yuuko's long term inability to react with humans, causing her to be latch on to the first one who comes her way. She's a pale, dark haired, and killer bodied ghost and she clearly knows it. No doubt she would have been the top beauty at the school in her time.

here-and-faraway wrote:
One thing that troubles me is that the manga is still on-going.While I like the series, I'm afraid that the "mystery" will be dragged on and on and on and the show will eventually lose steam.

There's only a few episodes left in the series, so I have no idea where it's headed. As for the manga, spoiler[a recent event happened that's time sensitive and pertinent to Yuuko's ability to remain on this plane. But the manga's always had this awkward unbalance of serious plot-driven chapters levied by frivolous and disposable ones where it's just Yuuko and Teiichi playing around.]
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
manhiem wrote:
I wonder whether we're watching the same anime. I find this quite boring. I was five episodes in and no one had discovered anything yet. All it was was Yuuko flirting with Niiya. Did they have a big change in episode 6?

Hints dropped in episode 6. Stuff happens in episode 7 and 8.

The one thing that this series does well is it is very faithful to the source material.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely enjoying watching this series so far not for just Yuuko-san but for the overall entertainment of an anime to finish off an relaxing weekend. This is the series I finish right before I sleep on Sundays and sets my mind at peace while putting a smile on my face.

Also, I got that OP song stuck in my head now LOL. Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far of this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Really enjoying this show, it feels a lot like a spiritual successor to Natsu no Arashi since they share the same director and series composer. Both shows share the same animation tricks, especially the "sliding layers" (when the background, mid-ground, and foreground all move in different directions) which was very unique to Natsu no Arashi, along with the color pallet and some of the lighting tricks. Story-wise it's another story about a boy in love with a ghost girl trying to learn the secrets about their life and death. Dusk Maiden has some darker overtones, but Natsu no Arashi was no stranger to drama (at least in the first season, the second season was severely lacking).

It's been a good season for great quality animation, even just between this, Fate/Zero, Tsuritama, and Hyouka.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Really enjoying this show, it feels a lot like a spiritual successor to Natsu no Arashi since they share the same director and series composer. Both shows share the same animation tricks, especially the "sliding layers" (when the background, mid-ground, and foreground all move in different directions) which was very unique to Natsu no Arashi, along with the color pallet and some of the lighting tricks. Story-wise it's another story about a boy in love with a ghost girl trying to learn the secrets about their life and death. Dusk Maiden has some darker overtones, but Natsu no Arashi was no stranger to drama (at least in the first season, the second season was severely lacking).

It's been a good season for great quality animation, even just between this, Fate/Zero, Tsuritama, and Hyouka.

Emerje
I am pretty sure Akiyuiki Shinbo directed Natsu no Arashi and that he is not directing Dusk MAiden of Amnesia.[/quote]
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
I agree with the reviewer and am pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoy the show.

Even with the "flirtatious" moments, I expect it from a "beautiful" (at least from what we have seen) young girl who never sleeps and is finally able to be touched both physically and emotionally by a human.

I do find Momose a bit more enjoyable than the reviewer, but I agree that she can come across as a negative - I see her pretty much as misused as a character...rather than a annoyance.

I am hoping things will open up even more as the story is being peeled open to us.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it ... Can't wait to catch up on this one Smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, I got that OP song stuck in my head now LOL.

Tell me about it. I had it stuck there for the better part of two weeks.

I also didn't find Momose to be quite as annoying as Rebecca did - in fact, having one of the club members be completely clueless about Yuuko's presence amuses me - but otherwise my evaluation of the series so far is the same as hers and I would give it pretty much the same grades. In any given week it's either my #2 or #3 priority view: always behind Sankarea but sometimes ahead of Fate/Zero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Love that OP song Very Happy
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I mostly agree with Rebecca's review. I do wish it had slightly less fan service, but for the most part I don't find it totally out of place as with other shows. I'm also in the camp that does not find Momose Okonogi totally annoying. I usually find characters of her type a bit much, but I'm finding her energy to be within tolerable limits that maintain a fun quality. There was one time that it seemed inappropriate and did as Rebecca put it "sucks all of the suspense and tension, not to mention the vague air of melancholy, out of the story." However, I'm not finding that to be a common occurrence which is probably why I'm ok with the character.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review! I am also in the "don't mind Momose that much" camp, but I thoroughly appreciate where Rebecca is coming from. I haven't read the manga, but I had heard that it was kind of butchering it, so I was surprised by the comments that it was very faithful to the manga... Perhaps the butchering concept was that it was taking stories from different parts of the manga and putting them in a different order than they were originally? (Interestingly, Mysterious Girlfriend X is doing that very thing, and it is generally agreed that the anime is improving on the manga by doing it, providing a more coherent story and a more consistent time-line, something that is kind of lacking it the very slice-of-life nature of the manga. Makes me wonder if the same can be said for Dusk Maiden?)

I look forward to this one each week. It is currently about 4th or 5th on my weekly "must see" list, after MGX, Kids on the Slope, Bodacious Space Pirates, and sometimes Accel World. One or two weeks, Dusk Maiden has been ahead of Accel World because of the highly anticipated nature of the next episode. (And the fact that it is just plain easier to watch it on Crunchyroll than Accel World is over at Hulu... Laziness wins sometimes.)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I am pretty sure Akiyuiki Shinbo directed Natsu no Arashi and that he is not directing Dusk MAiden of Amnesia.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is directed by Shin Oonuma, who is a SHAFT alumnus and worked as episode director on Natsu no Arashi.

The Shinbo influence is fully on display and used to great, creepy effect in episodes 6 and 7.

Like most who have responded, I'm enjoying this series, Momose included.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Having seen a little bit further now (as in episodes 7 and 8), I'm rethinking my Momose comments. While I really did find her annoying in those first six (although Theron makes a good point about having the one clueless club member), I found myself kind of liking her in episode 8. Hooray for plot/character development!

I'll agree with those of you who have listed this as a top 3-5 show. For me it's probably my #2 after Sankarea. Fate/Zero and Kids on the Slope finish out my weekly highlights. It's the ending song for me, though, that gets stuck in my head. I'm going to go ahead an blame it on my seventh grade Enya obsession. (My poor dance teacher - grades 7 & 8 we were all Enya fiends and wouldn't choreograph to anything else. Rolling Eyes )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2