• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2 More Arrested for Selling Unauthorized One Piece Figures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Why does it always seem like it's One Piece?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
because it is always one piece and anything related to Toei.
they are basically the MPAA and RIAA of the anime world.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
this is really relevant to all the readers of this site that don't live in japan which is probably every reader. keep posting this crap.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
this is really relevant to all the readers of this site that don't live in japan which is probably every reader. keep posting this crap.

This is an ANIME news site and this is news related to an anime. If you don't care about the article, just ignore it.

And as far as I know, there are people living in Japan who frequent this site. Don't make sweeping statements.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, why are articles like this seemingly met with universal support for the dude making bank on bootleg One Piece merchandise?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why are articles like this seemingly met with universal support for the dude making bank on bootleg One Piece merchandise?

because most people online involved in some illegal digital/copyright activities. They don't want this happen to them.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Still lots to find. Surprised they aint doing anything about the Unauthorized figures and bootlegs of DVD's that are being sold on EBAY and such. Ah well, everyone needs money in this day and age.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zac wrote:

because most people online involved in some illegal digital/copyright activities. They don't want this happen to them.

What if they're Chinese? Laughing
TC-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zac wrote:

Well, I don't know, but maybe because people tend to become more forgiving since the One Piece Figures that are made by those guys are (mostly) XXX-rated, which will never be made and released by Toei/Bandai? And figurines look good, like they are made by pros. Also the supporters may also have thought: "why are doujinshi mangas/works allowed (which are sold in the Comikets) and not these figurines"?
FigNewton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'd like to think its due to confusion regarding the origin of the figures: are they bootleg figures or are they legitimate figures that have been customized?

Some of the original stories on the issue made no indication that they were bootlegs, though now that appears to be the case. It still seems as though the complaint originates with Toei not giving permission to sell the customized figures.

My position is that I'm firmly against bootleg figures but I don't see the problem with customizing a legitimate figure and selling it. Making a full time business and somewhat mass-producing thousands of custom figures, even from a legitimate base figure, I'm willing to see both sides.

I tend to think of it as no different than making a business of selling customized cars, but there's also something about the analogy that feels off though I can't quite place why.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Wont be buying One Piece produces.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Perhaps its because nobody cares about Oda not getting that extra $500? Also, Chinese knockoffs are nothing new; so what if the modder prefers to outsource his materials supplier to glorious worker's paradise China[/sarcasm]? It's not like most legal businesses aren't doing the exact same thing and killing western suppliers while boosting their profit margins using Chinese knockoffs. Yet, why is it only the little guy is getting cracked down on? Or maybe we're sick of hearing about Tanka-san #4554643 getting busted for small potatoes copyright infringement?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1