• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayate the Combat Butler Over Sells 10 Milllion Copies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
that's insane. but awesome
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
that's insane. but awesome

I know its great news for the industry.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
It is a great manga (WAY better than the anime, which runs hot and cold) and thankfully, VIZ is doing the manga mostly right. If they'd just have translator notes, it would be nigh perfect. Smile
Axe-336

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote
Really? I've only read the first 2 volumes of the manga (which is pretty similar to the anime start) and so far I think I liked the anime a little better. But then I'm a Nabeshin fan.

Anyway, I'm glad Bandai's picked up the series. I was starting to wonder when it would be.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
I also read only 2 volumes but I'd say it's quite average.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
Really? I've only read the first 2 volumes of the manga (which is pretty similar to the anime start) and so far I think I liked the anime a little better. But then I'm a Nabeshin fan.

Anyway, I'm glad Bandai's picked up the series. I was starting to wonder when it would be.

Only the first 3 or 4 volumes follow the anime. After that it skips around a lot, but most of the content is still from the manga except towards the end of the first season (like the stuff with Himegami).

As for the news, this is awesome and only 18 volumes too Razz This manga deserves it. It's a great manga if you understand what's going on as well as the numerous references. Cool
joshuafer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
The manga has made me laugh out loud a few times, I am enjoying it. Although I do not get some of the anime or game references, naturally.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
I also read only 2 volumes but I'd say it's quite average.

I read about four volumes, but after the fourth volume, I couldn't stand reading more of that series. I found the jokes not funny in the least and the cast was a quite typical.
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
This series has the greatest title - I may check it out on that alone. And Nabeshin worked on it? Really?
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
It deserves to sell millions. Hayate is one of the most witty, hilarious off-the-wall titles I've ever read (and the anime is my all-time favorite).
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
YES!!! It's little wonder that this manga is so popular. Definitely one of the freshest, funniest comedies to come out of Japan in a looooong time!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much of the procedes goes towards paying off Hayate's debt Laughing .

Seriously, though, I'm glad that Hayate is doing very well in the market. I enjoyed reading it since I first heard about it a couple of years ago and it's one of my top 5 favorite manga. Very witty, humerous book with excellent characters.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It deserves such sales.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hnagiku FTW!!!!!
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:

I like Nabeshin well enough. However, the flow of things is MUCH better in the manga. I read the manga after seeing the anime. The anime cut out a lot of stuff and shuffled things around. Some things were changed (such as Hina's birthday). Obviously, things were added (such as the butler competition at the school, which wasn't a favorite of mine). However, as I read the manga, I just enjoy it more and more.

Don't get me wrong, I like the anime well enough. Its just that at times, it became unfunny to me. Also, I kind of grew weary of the jokes with Ayumi always eating. In the manga, she's a much better character (IMO) rather than just some sad sap. Plus, the manga shows how she and Hina became friends.

Anyway, if you have means, score the rest of the Viz manga and read it. You'll see what I mean.

joshuafer wrote:
The manga has made me laugh out loud a few times, I am enjoying it. Although I do not get some of the anime or game references, naturally.

That's why I wish we had translator notes to explain all that.

Anyway, everyone will have different tastes. The Hayate the Combat Butler manga is one of my splurges during the economic downturn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2