• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JManga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takokujin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Do any of you use this program/site? I wish it was more like Crunchyroll, meaning I pay for the "buffet." I do see myself trying what hasn't been released here, especially Ekiben Hitoritabi. I don't mind digital manga, but if I can get a physical copy, I'll go that route.

I dislike how I can't use JManga on my iPad.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
If you've been paying attention to some of the recent news, JManga announced that they'll have an iPad and Android app out in October or something like that. And more recently still they announced plans for a free, "buffet" style website for some titles. Hope that helps with some of your concerns :) Not things that are currently available, but they've got 'em in the works.

I buy from JManga (and a disclaimer: I also work professionally on a few titles for JManga). I prefer real books too, absolutely, but there are some really fun series on the site (like one I work on—SoreMachi! :D I absolutely adore it) that just aren't available anywhere else (Wonder! is another series I like, and there's that farming autobio comic by the mangaka of Fullmetal Alchemist that's pretty great). I do have a habit of buying the digital books when I think of it and then not ever actually reading them all the way through, though. I spend my day working from a computer, so I need my tech-free time...
Takokujin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought I had read that somewhere. Thanks for sharing. I plan to at least give a shot, though I've only been reading the previews lately. If it gives me a way to read unreleased manga in English in a way that I can still legally support the industry, that's super cool. It seems that they are on to something good, like Crunchyroll.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
JManga's got some good titles, but sometimes the quality can be terrible. Chitose Get You!! volume 7 has just been awful thus far(maybe I should check back and see if it's been fixed yet).
Takokujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
JManga's got some good titles, but sometimes the quality can be terrible. Chitose Get You!! volume 7 has just been awful thus far(maybe I should check back and see if it's been fixed yet).

I'm a little letdown by the preview of Ekiben Hitoritabi. It's like every other text box says, "I'm going on an adventure."
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I got paid yesterday, so I'm going to buy some points and check this bad boy out.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
SUN-KEN ROCK Vol. 1 is really fun with some nice art. Sure, there are some trite aspects about the characters and story, but there's something that has me reading on. It might be the proverbial, "What will happen next?" aspect, and it might be that I simply need something to read right now. However, like I said, the art is great. I'd love to see this in print.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
What are all the different legit sources of online manga out there?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
What are all the different legit sources of online manga out there?

There's a sticky at the top of this forum with some in, but I think apart from those provided by Viz etc, Jmanga is the only one.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a sticky at the top of this forum with some in, but I think apart from those provided by Viz etc, Jmanga is the only one.

Square Enix also has a manga store. Then there's Emanga.com, too. And, you know, Amazon has a ton.

But yes, there is a sticky for this.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Minus not being able to view on my iPad, I like JManga's interface... a lot. It just works for me, even better than ComiXology on a PC. One thing I like about JManga is the ability to read what hasn't been released in English, and it's legal. If I can get something in print, I'll go that route, but right now JManga has my vote.

I don't even care if they go "full buffet" now. I'll still support via the supreme otaku option.
JManga
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Was there something in particular you had an issue with for Chitose Get You! Volume 7? If so, please let us know at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1