• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Delayed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who aren't familiar with them, they are a very accurate site.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
There probably is no source for this information. I think they (like everyone else) are basing this off of Square-Enix constantly saying "We've still got a lot of work left to do" at all of their preview showings. As of late they haven't had a whole lot to say on the topic really it seems. But, if anything, this will show that they aren't rushing and aren't going to be doing a half-assed job on the movie.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marrshu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The magic box is not a very... "Trusthworth" source... >.>
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Methinks Sq'Enix is looking for a way to rip consumers off, by making it a PSP-exclusive.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Methinks Sq'Enix is looking for a way to rip consumers off, by making it a PSP-exclusive.

If that was the case then they'd be ripping themselves off, not to mention shooting themselves in the foot.

Why would S-E make a movie an exclusive to a handheld game that they didn't make when they could reach soooo many more people with a DVD release and an additional PSP release? If Sony was making this movie, yeah, I could see them pulling something like this to help sell the PSP, but S-E? Nah, they don't need the PSP, but they do need money AND happy fans. Last thing they're going to do is piss off their very loyal fan base that they've already promised a DVD to.

Honestly, I'm surprised you'd even make such an outlandish remark. (EDIT: No, on second thought, after reading that ridiculous remark about S-E having to resort to sequals to keep Final Fantasy "afloat" I can believe you'd say something so outlandish.)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
Given that Sony has a stake in the company, it's not outside of the realm of possibility.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt that stake would be enough to off set the losses S-E would experience from making the movie a PSP exclusive, both financially and fan based. It's not going to happen, there's no logical reason for it to happen.

Emerje
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:42 am Reply with quote
Indeed... There is no logical reason. The PSP goes on sale in japan in only a few days... PSP exclusive would be out with it then. Aside from that, Square makes games for not only Sony, but Nintendo's game cube, and the Game Boy Advanced. Sony could not afford to pay Square the lose it would create by making it PSP only.

Besides... Who the heck would want to watch an awesome movie like that on a little six inch screen?

As for the set back... It is probably related to post-production... I consider it nice that Square would want to put out a quality product based on one of the best final fantasies it has created. I've waited 7 years (should be about right, FFVII was released in 1997) to see a sequel to it... I can wait anouther year if it means it won't be crap.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

That is definitally a possibility, especially since the PSP seems to have a chance in both the Japanese and American markets. Whatever; I'm expecting great eye candy and action, but not much in the way of story. I'd rather they do something like animate Xenogears, but that's never going to happen.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I'd rather they do something like animate Xenogears, but that's never going to happen.

Xenogears doesn't need an animation, it's already planned to finish with some obscene number of game stallments when it's all said and done.

Emerje
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:05 am Reply with quote
Emerje:
Quote:
I highly doubt that stake would be enough to off set the losses S-E would experience from making the movie a PSP exclusive, both financially and fan based.

This is the same company which had to re-release FFX twice and make some poorly-programmed crossover game with Disney, just to bail themselves out from under their costly cg movie spin-off and their unpopular MMORPG. And unless they decided to re-release/remake FF7 for the GameCube and X-Box, there wouldn't be any point in trying to expand it to as wide an audience as possible, since only the people who played the first game on the PS are the ones likely to pick up the movie, since they would be more familiar with the plot. And let's not forget that the re-makes of FFI and II were Wonderswan exclusives for years before being released on PS 1 and GBA. So it definitely wouldn't be the first time. And then there were those rumours about Advent Children being somehow connected to UMD...

Vukir:
Quote:
The PSP goes on sale in japan in only a few days... PSP exclusive would be out with it then.

Not necessarily. Sony might still attempt to gauge sales, before making its next move.

Quote:
Aside from that, Square makes games for not only Sony, but Nintendo's game cube, and the Game Boy Advanced. Sony could not afford to pay Square the lose it would create by making it PSP only.

If MS can pay SEGA to make Shen Mue 2 an X Box exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony could do the same for Square.

Quote:
Besides... Who the heck would want to watch an awesome movie like that on a little six inch screen?

The same kind of people who played Castlevania on a dimly lit GBA?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
This is the same company which had to re-release FFX twice and make some poorly-programmed crossover game with Disney, just to bail themselves out from under their costly cg movie spin-off and their unpopular MMORPG.

Your point? Any number of games could have been used to pull them out of their rut, does it realy matter which ones they were? Seeing as how both games were blockbuster hits for S-E I fail to see where you're going with this. So they decided to break tradition and do sequals, why is this a bad thing? As for Kingdom Hearts, there's a difference between poorly-programmed and programmed simple enough for kids to play. After all, despite the dark overtones, it is a kids game.

Oh, and that unpopular MMORPG hit the 1.5 million mark on player characters just this past September, they've also registered 550,000 players logging on Sept. 18 with 170,000 logged on at one time. Not to mention it has received numerous awards. Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?

Quote:
And unless they decided to re-release/remake FF7 for the GameCube and X-Box, there wouldn't be any point in trying to expand it to as wide an audience as possible, since only the people who played the first game on the PS are the ones likely to pick up the movie, since they would be more familiar with the plot.

You underestimate its popularity. Most of the people who were fans then are still fans now. As S-E has stated, they have no plans to remake or even re-release FFVII because there are so many copies available out there just floating around. Gamestop still has used copies for $15, EB has them for $13 and even new copies for $15. There's just no point in doing it, those that are interested can go back to the original, but they'd rather spend their time and money expanding on the world. Again, they're doing for fans what the fans want.

Quote:
And let's not forget that the re-makes of FFI and II were Wonderswan exclusives for years before being released on PS 1 and GBA. So it definitely wouldn't be the first time.

All you're doing is proving that S-E doesn't do exclusives very well and actually proving yourself wrong that AC has a chance at being a PSP exclusive.

Quote:
And then there were those rumours about Advent Children being somehow connected to UMD...

That's no secret, they've been talking about a UMD version ever since they announced the DVD version. Heck, some online stores like EB actually had space set aside on their site for eventual preorders on the movie in both formats until they pulled them after deciding it was too soon to take preorders.

Quote:
If MS can pay SEGA to make Shen Mue 2 an X Box exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony could do the same for Square.

Get your facts straight, it was a Dreamcast game long before it came out on the Xbox.

Quote:
The same kind of people who played Castlevania on a dimly lit GBA?

Gasp! You're right! The same people who wanted to PLAY a VIDEO GAME on a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM would want to WATCH a MOVIE on a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM. How do you even come up with a connection like that? I mean, there were so many other answers you could have given like "the same people who buy those VideoNow players" or "the same people who buy those GBA Video things" or even "the same people who watch pocket TVs", and the best you could come up with was Castlevania? You disapoint me.

Emerje
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje:
Quote:
As for Kingdom Hearts, there's a difference between poorly-programmed and programmed simple enough for kids to play.

How are confusing dungeons and respawning monsters "simple"?

Quote:
Oh, and that unpopular MMORPG hit the 1.5 million mark on player characters just this past September, they've also registered 550,000 players logging on Sept. 18 with 170,000 logged on at one time. Not to mention it has received numerous awards.

Is this just in the U.S., or does it include Japan? And which awards? Best game which doesn't work on an expensive add-on?

Quote:
You underestimate its popularity. Most of the people who were fans then are still fans now.As S-E has stated, they have no plans to remake or even re-release FFVII because there are so many copies available out there just floating around. Gamestop still has used copies for $15, EB has them for $13 and even new copies for $15.

That argument would suggest that FF7 has made as much money as it possibly could, and that the fans purchased it, when it was at full price, rather than waiting for a drop. Therefore, why would Square want to sell Advent Children in a more universal format, when they know that the fans would gladly pay the extra money, just to see it? (I could also apply your previous FFXI argument towards this conclusion. If the fanbase is strong enough to waste money on a defective modem to play a non-linear variation of the franchise, then there's no reason they wouldn't go for a PSP exclusive.)

Quote:
All you're doing is proving that S-E doesn't do exclusives very well

Actually, it does prove they do well, because S-E was able to create a demand for them which justified porting FF I+II to other systems.

Quote:
Get your facts straight, it was a Dreamcast game long before it came out on the Xbox.

Well, a Dreamcast game for the Japanese and European versions of the console, not the American version, if you want to be specific.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
How are confusing dungeons and respawning monsters "simple"?

If that's how you want to look at it then there's a difference between being challenging and poorly-programmed. Respawning monsters isn't a program flaw, it's a style of game play. As for confusing dungeons, that's only in the oppinion of certain players. Personally I didn't find the game to be all that confusing. You make it sound like it was unplayable or that all of their other games are flawless and this was some sort of weak link.

Quote:
Is this just in the U.S., or does it include Japan? And which awards? Best game which doesn't work on an expensive add-on?

World wide which is still pretty impressive just the same. Here are the awards. And as for that expensive add on, it comes with the game so it's really only a $50 add on, not all that expensive at all, and far cheaper than upgrading a PC to play it.

Quote:
That argument would suggest that FF7 has made as much money as it possibly could, and that the fans purchased it, when it was at full price, rather than waiting for a drop.

I don't follow you there. So there are still games floating around out there. S-E is an amazing hype machine, as is their fans. Anyone who is interested in the movie can pick up the game for cheap, and they will. Just because there's no reason to make a remake of the game doesn't mean they've hit all of their potential fans, we are talking about 7 years ago, there are so many new potential fans to be had and that's why they're going through with all of these spinoffs. Also, the ones that were orginally sold at full price probably aren't ones that you'll find new at game shops, more likely they're Greatest Hits versions that were over stocked.

Quote:
Therefore, why would Square want to sell Advent Children in a more universal format, when they know that the fans would gladly pay the extra money, just to see it?

Yeah, pay extra money to Sony, not to S-E. Why should they care? it's not a video game, it's a movie, they can do so much more with it. If they wanted a less universal format they'd make it only playable on the PS2, not a handheld.

Quote:
(I could also apply your previous FFXI argument towards this conclusion. If the fanbase is strong enough to waste money on a defective modem to play a non-linear variation of the franchise, then there's no reason they wouldn't go for a PSP exclusive.)

Except that, just like AC will be on both DVD and the PSP, FFXI is available on both PS2 and PC. And just like both instances there are options that may not require buying new hardware to play/watch. You can either use your existing PC/DVD or you can fork over the extra cash and buy the HDD bundle/PSP. Also, explaine the "defective modem" bit, you lost me there.

Quote:
Actually, it does prove they do well, because S-E was able to create a demand for them which justified porting FF I+II to other systems.

Seriously, breaking their own exclusives shows that they can do exclusives well? Seriously? On the contrary, it shows that they make poor decisions on their exclusives and rarely hold true on them. And it's because of this that I say there's no way AC will be a PSP exclusive because they have to many reasons to want it as avaiable as possible.

Emerje
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu:
Quote:
there wouldn't be any point in trying to expand it to as wide an audience as possible, since only the people who played the first game on the PS are the ones likely to pick up the movie, since they would be more familiar with the plot.

This is to imply that, if they had made FF: Spirits Within a small scale release they would have done better? The scale that they released it on probably reduced the amount they lost, having gamers line up to see the movie on opening day. The flaw with FF:SW was the movie studio they created to make it cost too much, and the movie did not recover that cost.

Gatsu:
Quote:
and their unpopular MMORPG.

You don't know what your talking about on that one. FF:XI has 2 sequels already, and a fanbase large enough to continue running after a year of being State side... Clearly, if this is "unpopular", then its done damn well for it. Just because YOU didn't like it, doesn't mean there arn't others, including myself, that enjoy playing it.

Gatsu:
Quote:
just to bail themselves out from under their costly cg movie spin-off

The bail out was a merger with Enix. FF:XI and KH were already in planning when FF:SW was released. Whether or not FF:SW was a hit or miss, KH was jointed with Disney and FF:XI was already planned as an MMORPG before Square knew its failure with FF:SW.

Really, in the end, everyone can have all the heresay and conjecture they want over it. Its all just a rumor (a poor one at that). Odds are, if it were to be a PSP exclusive, they would have said so already to boost (if it would do so) the sale of the psp when it comes out, and for the next few months till the release of the movie.

*Besides... They already have an FFVII exclusive on cell phones... Wish I had a Japanese cell phone, then I could play FFVII: Before Crisis...*

**And, yes, I will agree that... Although incredibly slim for reasons I have pointed out... There is still a chance that FFVII:AC will be a PSP exclusive... But, I doubt it. Maybe released on it first, but it will come to dvd.**
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2