• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SaiKano & Evangelion endings.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.--
Since this is turning out to be more of a recommendation thread than what I originally intended, please let me know if you want me to rewrite the below posting.
=============================================
So I have finished SaiKano, and its ending has reminded me very much of what I have read about Evangelion's ending -- which is a series that I have never gotten around to watching. Am I correct in assessing the two series's endings as being quite similar? How similar/different are the two? Would one who loves SaiKano also end up loving Evangelion? (i.e., should I watch it?) It is my understanding that the main protagonist of Evangelion is similar to the protagonist of Welcome to the NHK. Exactly how accurate/inaccurate is my understanding?

[EDIT: You're fine. The fact that your asking for similar endings makes it unique enough than an actual genre inquiry. -TK]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quite inaccurate. Although, to be fair, the ending of Saikano is somewhat convoluted (and the anime has differences from the original manga ending).

I would say that someone who enjoyed the ending of Saikano would most likely enjoy Evangelion and particularly its ending. This is mainly due to the melancholic tone and the 'love is futile' sort of motif that is very, very prevalent in Saikano whereas it's slightly more subtle in Evangelion. Both are quite depressing as well of course. As to your understanding of Shinji, I would say that is very much far off. He isn't much of anything like Satou. Where Satou has a social anxiety and was a hikikomori, Shinji has no issue socializing, but has very deep fear of opening himself up to others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1