• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's New Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I am really looking forward to this Smile
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Looks like crap

This is a perfect example of how to ruin a good series with crappy cgi mechs.

Trying to get sales off fans of the first series yet don't even bother to use the same style.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Looks like crap

Trying to get sales off fans of the first series yet don't even bother to use the same style.

The action scenes look a lot better than the first series, which devolved into crap by the second half with characters talking about how badass they were and then dying in seconds.

It actually looks quite good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Looks like crap

The action scenes look a lot better than the first series, which devolved into crap by the second half with characters talking about how badass they were and then dying in seconds.

I think you need your eyes checked if you think that cgi looks better than the hand drawn in the first series.

Like all cgi in anime it always look out of place with everything else.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

That's actually not the case either, but I suppose that if you believe in dismissing all anime CGI on principle then there's nothing else to be said about the subject.

Concerning the latest trailer, I believe they have done a fairly good job making the action sequences look surprisingly dynamic while still preserving some of the elements that made the battles in the original Code Geass series work. That nocturnal battle through the blazing forest looks interesting.

I also think the 3D models seem to have a reasonable amount of shading and detail. Based on this and what has been seen before, I'd argue they have improved a bit upon the original Sutherland and Glasgow designs. Even the protagonist's mecha, Alexander, is an admittedly weird design on paper but in the context of the new trailer there's finally signs of some sort of logic behind taking that unorthodox approach.

Finally, I'm glad they decided to include some new background music here as well as putting Maaya Sakamoto's and Yoko Kanno's theme to good use. I don't necessarily hate the experimental jazz in that first video, but still...it wasn't the sort of thing you should use for a trailer. I imagine they didn't have too much completed footage at the time though.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

That's actually not the case either

Show me one series that uses cgi where you cannot tell that its different from the background\characters.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
More Code Geass is no problem for me and I really like the footage shown although the CG Knightmare Frames will take getting use to.

I wonder if this OVA series will still follow R2 or decide to retcon it somewhat because seeing the EU have an easy off screen defeat and with no major characters representing them really didn't do them any justice and I'll be looking forward to see when in season one did this series takes place.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Looks like crap

I think you need your eyes checked if you think that cgi looks better than the hand drawn in the first series.

If the CGI is dynamic like the action scenes we have seen then yes it will look a lot better than action scenes that have giant robots standing around shooting giant lasers at each other, or just slicing each other with little in the way of movement.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
@Charred Knight:

You know that last description suits a lot of the action during the second season more than most of the first series, in all seriousness, but at least we're in relative agreement this time around.

Tylerr wrote:

Show me one series that uses cgi where you cannot tell that its different from the background\characters.

I wasn't suggesting that, but there are different levels of successful integration and this one seems entirely acceptable rather than being the most jarring. You're acting like it's an inherently horrible thing, which is a valid opinion, but one I don't agree with.

Lycosyncer wrote:

I wonder if this OVA series will still follow R2 or decide to retcon it somewhat because seeing the EU have an easy off screen defeat and with no major characters representing them really didn't do them any justice and I'll be looking forward to see when in season one did this series takes place.

Even in the second season they stated that the war had been going on for some time off-screen, not for a short while. Things probably didn't take a turn for the worst until the most advanced mecha technologies were introduced, which probably only happened around the beginning of R2 from what I can recall, so there's an unspecified amount of time before that point where they can present a comparatively less one-sided conflict. The EU is still being treated as the losing party though, so the retcon is more about adding rather than subtracting content.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I had fun with the first Code Geass and don't really feel a burning need for more, but man, I really enjoy the stuff that Kazuki Akane does and so I'm definitely not going to miss this. Those robots kinda look like giant Medabots though, which is pretty freaky!
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that, but there are different levels of successful integration and this one seems entirely acceptable rather than being the most jarring. You're acting like it's an inherently horrible thing, which is a valid opinion, but one I don't agree with.

It is a horrible thing, and it just screams of being lazy and cheap.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
don't go dissing on the medabots that show was kick azz

i'm looking forward to this geass i just hope it doesn't to over the edge with over powered knightmares killing hundreds of other knightmares in a single shot *cough*like gundam*cough*
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
As someone who generally doesn't like CG, I think that in this particular case it's pretty well used. Do I wish it was traditional? Yeah, but in this case it isn't really bad.

The thing I don't like about CG isn't the CG itself, it's what could have been were that shot done traditionally.
Black_Knight_456

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Tylerr wrote:

The only use of cgi that I've seen that looked any good compared with drawn mecha are the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. I'm not saying that I won't watch this because of that, or that I don't watch other shows with cgi mecha. They just almost always look out of place to me, and it bums me out to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3