• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netcomics Licenses Five New Boys-Love Manga Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
I already seen literally 150 different yaoi titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of these? I doubt any of them of plot and characterization that are so wildly drastic from one another. I also doubt any of them contain elements such as fantasy, magic, or supernatural things. I see them as the comic equivalent to trashy romance novels, read one, read em all.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
...Anyway... Rolling Eyes

At first glance, at least 4 of the 5 looks pique my interest (Merry Family Plan being the one that does not). Though, as usual, since I'm unfamiliar with these titles I'll probably wait for a review or two to post to Amazon before I decide to buy. The only part that was a turn-off was the (potentially) brother x brother story in Love Full of Scars, because I don't go for that. But if reviews are otherwise positive, I can overlook one story in an anthology. Boy, it's a great time to be a yaoi fan... Razz

Does anyone know why "Softline" appears after all the mangakas' names?* Does it mean they're soft yaoi, or does it mean something else?

*Okay, I see it's the Japanese publisher. But my question still stands as to whether or not it's "soft."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I already seen literally 150 different yaoi titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of these?

"I've seen literally 500 different manga titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of them?"
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I've been reading a lot of titles from Netcomics lately. You can't beat the price, basically 7-8 volumes for the cost of one print manga volume. Plus you don't have to worry about getting rid of hard copies when you're done, because most manga I read aren't keepers for me. I have bought a couple of their series in print after I've read them though.

The only downside is the 48 hour window you can read it online. I wish they'd give you a little longer so you could reference the chapters while you were reading the rest, but I guess I see their point.

These look interesting. I think I'll probably read them all.

As to the first poster, there are as many different love stories as there are people who have met and fallen in love over the history of humans doing so. The journey is always different, no matter how many times it has ended up in a couple being together. It's why the genre of romance will never grow old and stale, though individual books might. There's always something new to discover.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't been paying close attention to Netcomics' current line-up. Are these the first Japanese books they've licensed? Netcomics started out solely with Korean titles. Has it expanded its licensing focus?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I already seen literally 150 different yaoi titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of these?

"I've seen literally 500 different manga titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of them?"

Don't condescend me. I am being serious. I've read the synapses, flipped through. They are literally all the same thing each time. At least with general manga you can see a wide variety that appeals to different tastes. Luckily each of these are mostly just one volume long.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
At least with general manga you can see a wide variety that appeals to different tastes.
...And yaoi would be one of those varieties. Seriously, don't you have better things to do than post in a thread when you don't even read what's being discussed? I'm normally a very quiet forumer, slow to anger and even slower to comment on it, but this is getting old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sawwie-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt any of them of plot and characterization that are so wildly drastic from one another. I also doubt any of them contain elements such as fantasy, magic, or supernatural things.

For the record, like all other genres, there are those that have fantastic plot/character developments, and those that do no. Also, some do contain elements such as the ones you've mentioned.

@ LKK - these would be the second lot of Japanese Yaoi they've licensed, the very first one was Honey Senior, Darling Junior by Chifumi Ochi.
badsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
I haven't been paying close attention to Netcomics' current line-up. Are these the first Japanese books they've licensed? Netcomics started out solely with Korean titles. Has it expanded its licensing focus?

Yes, Netcomics has been publishing Japanese and even some American titles. I recommend "Main Street in Elysium," one of the most popular titles in Japan, (not yaoi). It reads like a web comic or a Sunday morning newspaper comic. Also try "The Adventures of Young Det" which isn't yaoi either but I absolutely loved.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Don't condescend me. I am being serious. I've read the synapses, flipped through. They are literally all the same thing each time. At least with general manga you can see a wide variety that appeals to different tastes. Luckily each of these are mostly just one volume long.

Oh yes, you're right, I shouldn't condescend to someone who's gone so far as to "read the synapses". Rolling Eyes

And what's with those shounen manga, anyway? Aren't those just all grunting and fighting?
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll chime in here, too, for the sake of perhaps a less aggressive position on the issue. It is true that yaoi as a genre recycles plots, characters and cliches, but it is also a very transient genre. Titles only stay on the shelves as long as their single print runs last (unless they are exceptionally popular and get a second or third printing). This means that many titles will only be available at all for a couple of years (like non-yaoi manga does, only on a much smaller scale because yaoi is a more niche genre). Every few years, therefore, another host of titles, all very similar to those that preceded them are going to come out, bringing the genre' attention to perhaps a new generation of fans. They appeal to a very specific demographic and if you are not interested in them, no one is forcing you to consume them.

I think Netcomics is on the frontline of the "future" of manga publishing with their online rental system, particularly their "simultaneous" serialized titles, like Totally Captivated. I'll definitely be at least checking out these titles (you can read the first chapter of all their online titles for free), if not be renting them online. The print volumes are only value for the money if the title is particularly exceptional.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I already seen literally 150 different yaoi titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of these? I doubt any of them of plot and characterization that are so wildly drastic from one another. I also doubt any of them contain elements such as fantasy, magic, or supernatural things. I see them as the comic equivalent to trashy romance novels, read one, read em all.

Pretty much this. e_e Yaoi has to be one of the worst genres around, and this is coming from someone who can at least occasionally tolerate it.

That said, certainly wouldn't mind some more yuri licensed, what little there is anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Pretty much this. e_e Yaoi has to be one of the worst genres around, and this is coming from someone who can at least occasionally tolerate it.

That said, certainly wouldn't mind some more yuri licensed, what little there is anyway.

I hope Media Blasters, for anime, considers Yamibou or Touka Gettan since they're having a pretty good yuri streak going on. I'd probably buy Yamibou straight up.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
They appeal to a very specific demographic and if you are not interested in them, no one is forcing you to consume them.
Exactly. Honestly, I don't understand why people can't just ignore what doesn't interest them rather than disparaging something just because it doesn't appeal to them personally.

Anyway, sawwie-chan-- did you happen to read Honey Senior, Darling Junior and if so, did you like it? It's on my Amazon wishlist (along with a ton of other titles).
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I read Honey Senior, Darling Junior on Netcomics.com. I liked it, but not enough to buy the print volumes (and for less than $2 to read the whole thing, I think it would be worth it to read online, even if you did later want to buy the books). Totally Captivated, on the other hand, is something I've voraciously consumed, both online and in collecting the print volumes.

Last edited by Cait on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2