• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children Sells 2.4 Million Tickets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
Is that good? Are those good numbers? I am stupid when it comes to this kind of thing, but I really hope that this means that the film was a success! I want Hosoda and his new studio to do really well and keep making lovely movies as long as he wants!
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Those are good numbers yes. It's already done much better than Mamoru Hosoda's last movie both in terms of gross and admissions and it will probably be the biggest grossing animated movie of the box office year (which ends at the end of november) in front of the usual Pokemon/Doraemon/Conan trio.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
That's great!! I'm really glad. I'm impressed that it's doing better than Summer Wars, because I remember that being a sensation back when it came out! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll have a rough time getting this film over here...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
I wanted to watch it on Sunday morning and it sold out; the first time for any anime movie I've watched.

So I watched The Expendables 2 instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Is that good? Are those good numbers? I am stupid when it comes to this kind of thing, but I really hope that this means that the film was a success! I want Hosoda and his new studio to do really well and keep making lovely movies as long as he wants!

For JP I think are good #s since in the US we have a lot more people. I'm glad the movie is making more than the previous movie. Just shows his name is getting out there in the mainstream.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
That's great!! I'm really glad. I'm impressed that it's doing better than Summer Wars, because I remember that being a sensation back when it came out! I hope this doesn't mean that we'll have a rough time getting this film over here...

Not that surprising since this year's film is being screened in many more locations (around 350 screens against Summer Wars's 127 in the opening week-end). Still, having many screens is not automatically a guarantee of success so props must still be given to the director. ^^
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the limited US theater run over here. We normally get those because I'm living in an area that has alot of Asians and Japanese.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well, one of those tickets was mine, and I may go see it again. I'm glad to see it doing well. Hosoda is incredibly talented and can also appeal to mainstream moviegoers; with Miyazaki and Takahata not getting any younger, we need more young directors like him.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well can't be a bad movie if people are continuing to watch it in such numbers after a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to the AU Madman screenings next month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1